Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I order online frequently, but not because I'm lazy. It's because of the information available online. Product selection, customer reviews, product availability, and so on.

On the other hand, today I researched a product purchase online and then bought at a local brick & mortar store. I felt a bit guilty at using customer reviews from Amazon and then buying elsewhere, but a few reviewers noted receiving the product damaged in shipping.

Most of the stuff I buy online is one-off; I schlep my own dog food, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Absolutely, heavy packages are horrible on backs! I'm going to need a home robot to carry the heavy packages after Amazon Delivery's robot delivers them. Lazy and indolent, I am.
    Which brings up the point I've seen on the news lately, lots of these guys will delivery INTO your home (no thank you), and last night NBC had a report on Walmart people coming inside to stock your refrigerator.
    I don't have a clear vision of Hell, but a WalMart employee rummaging around in my cheese drawer constitutes a really strong start. Sedate me before it comes to this, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    I order online frequently, but not because I'm lazy. It's because of the information available online. Product selection, customer reviews, product availability, and so on.

On the other hand, today I researched a product purchase online and then bought at a local brick & mortar store. I felt a bit guilty at using customer reviews from Amazon and then buying elsewhere, but a few reviewers noted receiving the product damaged in shipping.

Most of the stuff I buy online is one-off; I schlep my own dog food, thank you!
    On the dogfood front I have bowed out of Chewy via FedEx and now selfschlep via Costco, which works just fine...at about half the price, of course

My knees are shot. My contractor alone has seen three of our people go out with back issues in the last two months. Me included. Missed a week and a half after stepping in a hole carrying a 70 pound Chewy box. Pitched me sideways and strained my back..But the dog food and cat litter never hit the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Which brings up the point I've seen on the news lately, lots of these guys will delivery INTO your home (no thank you), and last night NBC had a report on Walmart people coming inside to stock your refrigerator.
    I don't have a clear vision of Hell, but a WalMart employee rummaging around in my cheese drawer constitutes a really strong start. Sedate me before it comes to this, please.

What?!?!

Try this:

250px-2008-07-11_UNC-CH_Old_Well_in_the_sun.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You have DEFILED my monitor!

^ is that an outdoor latrine or something?

great news, now I have to dodge overworked, speeding FedEx drivers every day of the week...on certain days I'll walk for 90 minutes and see about five cars and five FedEx trucks, all in a town of 3,000 people.
    p.s. just spoke with an old acquaintance who worked part time at a local post office, he said the staggering mountain of Amazon boxes which arrived around Christmas drove him out of there.
    Yep, now the FedEx trucks will be flying through my neighborhood even more! And those "Uber" deliverers for Amazon . . . One came flying through my circular driveway like it was his own personal racetrack oval. They almost make me want to order LESS from Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Yep, now the FedEx trucks will be flying through my neighborhood even more! And those "Uber" deliverers for Amazon . . . One came flying through my circular driveway like it was his own personal racetrack oval. They almost make me want to order LESS from Amazon.
    I have no doubt that these contractors are under a whole lot of pressure to work fast, and as a result we have to deal with speeding drivers and other effects...e.g. my wife watched in astonishment a few weeks ago as a FedEx contractor dumped a package in the road fully 150 yards from our home...if she hadn't been watching, we wouldn't have known the package was even there...

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Glad I came off the road. Now I just supervise for the contractor I work for. Now, Fedex Ground is going seven days a week in January. It's going to be a logistical nightmare.
    First, contractors are going to have to employ more drivers to meet the demand, because if they asked their regular drivers to do all week it would spark a mass exodus of people. We already see this happening, as 77 drivers have left at our hub since February. Our hub has spaces for 300 vehicles. Now, they are going to have to figure out how to squeeze another 145 more into the existing space until more space is constructed.
    E commerce is the way of the future, and Fedex is adapting to meet the consumer's demands. Demand. God, I hate that word.
    Driver schedules are going to have to be adjusted, some will have to do a Wednesday through Sunday week, others a Tuesday through Saturday. Going to upset a lot of people to be sure.
    We now deliver everything from mattresses to dog food (Chewy, grrrr) and people food too. In our "I want it NOW" society, it's a part of the business. And catering to the lazy and indolent is something of which I no longer want to be a part.
    We recently went to 5 different shifts a through e and one night.to meet demand on shipping containers .we now cover 7 days .its a scheduling nightmare but it works. We more than doubled our workforce to do it.

^ is that an outdoor latrine?
    Yep, for your dog. Make sure he visits often.

My in-laws are aging and my father in law is effectively housebound and mother-in-law from early dementia. It has been a lifeline for them for my wife to oder them up pretty much anything they need and have it show up their house a few days later.

It would be funny when we get a call from my mother-in-law saying, "Someone just dropped off some shower handles and a no-slip bath mat. I don't know how they knew we needed that stuff. They were very friendly"...if it weren't so heartbreaking.

I have no doubt that these contractors are under a whole lot of pressure to work fast, and as a result we have to deal with speeding drivers and other effects...e.g. my wife watched in astonishment a few weeks ago as a FedEx contractor dumped a package in the road fully 150 yards from our home...if she hadn't been watching, we wouldn't have known the package was even there...
    Did the item fall off, or did he intend to do it? There's no excuse for that, he should be terminated today!

Did the item fall off, or did he intend to do it? There's no excuse for that, he should be terminated today!
    He was just moonlighting. His day job is at UPS.

... I don't have a clear vision of Hell, but a WalMart employee rummaging around in my cheese drawer constitutes a really strong start ...
    Now imagine you come upon this scene, the employee pulls his head out of the fridge and turns around slowly to face you, and it's Hanstravel.

I fear that in addition to bbq, politics, and punsters, whatever collegiality that still exists on DBR will be torn apart via the "how do you buy dog food" debate.

So I worked PT for UPS at the Charlotte HUB for 3-years in college. Started loading trailers at $8/hr and ended up sorting packages for $11.80/hr. Pretty good PT job in the 80’s especially considering I got paid time off and medical insurance. God bless the teamsters. We got audited for speed ever single shift. I think the expected load rate was over 700 pieces/hr and the unload and sort rate was over 1300/hr. Only about once a month we’re we audited on our hand to surface placement of the packages and proper lifting with our knees bent and backs straight. Needless to say there was a lot of running around and flinging packages. Rolled both my ankles hopping down under the flaps to load
    and unload. My ankles and back are all shite to this day. I’m sure bar codes have long replaced sorters like me who memorized zip codes, read labels and slung (sorry meant gently placed) packages on various belts going to trailer here and there. It was and excellent work-out. Trailers sitting in the yard all day in summer were 125° or more when opened. I weighed a buck fifty soaking wet which I was every night walking to my car. I use to wring the sweat out of jeans and drive home in my drawers. They moved the HUB to Greenboro and offered me a Supervisor position to transfer but Jim Boeheim steered me away. I’ve often regretted not transferring and going full time until they went public. Extremely hard and monotonous work that could be stressful too just based on productivity expectations. Sounds like a lot has changed but yet it stayed the same.

[QUOTE=lotusland;1169061]. Only 4-5 hours a day but I started dreading the next I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. the minute I got off the current shift.

And I have to wonder, after a bottle of wine, did I say something too descriptive to get the wankerizer going????

[QUOTE=HereBeforeCoachK;1169072]
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    . Only 4-5 hours a day but I started dreading the next I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. the minute I got off the current shift.

And I have to wonder, after a bottle of wine, did I say something too descriptive to get the wankerizer going????
    My guess is you misspelled shift. Or maybe it was an intentional spelling that was, as you say, too descriptive. I didn’t mind the work at the time but there were guys there who had been doing it 20-years. Some who worked the 6-10 shift as a second job and one guy lived off the grid in Indian Land had worked only that job for like 28 years. Seniority was king. It would almost take an act of congress to fire those guys. Even so I couldn’t have worked that hard for that long. The full time guys with seniority who stuck around until ups went public are all millionaires now.

[QUOTE=lotusland;1169088]
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

My guess is you misspelled shift. Or maybe it was an intentional spelling that was, as you say, too descriptive. I didn’t mind the work at the time but there were guys there who had been doing it 20-years. Some who worked the 6-10 shift as a second job and one guy lived off the grid in Indian Land had worked only that job for like 28 years. Seniority was king. It would almost take an act of congress to fire those guys. Even so I couldn’t have worked that hard for that long. The full time guys with seniority who stuck around until ups went public are all millionaires now.
    hah, yeah, might've left a letter ouf of shift...that brought the wrath of the wankerizer down on me....as for seniority, with pre load, there was very little seniority. The drivers were almost the only full crew with a lot of seniority. And of course a few managers in the warehouse had seniority. The drone worker bees came and went.
    Last edited by HereBeforeCoachK; 06-12-2019 at 05:28 AM.

I knew that "lazy and indolent" blast was gonna cause some ire here, and hope you don't take it personally. Now, as for Chewy. They constantly ship boxes which are much heavier than the label indicates. As an example, I saw one last week that said 37.5 pounds. The driver couldn't even lift it. We weighed it on certified scales. The box was 83 pounds, and this was not an isolated incident, in fact, it is the norm. Ask them why they no longer use UPS. UPS dropped them because of the revenue loss there.Their boxes are weak, recycled card board, and are difficult to handle. Since the first of the year, in our hub alone, there have been 45 incidents of back related injuries, many, if not most, due to Chewy.
    I see so many customer complaints calling our people lazy because they couldn't take several boxes of Chewy to 3rd floor apartments, and in one case a lady wanted 15 boxes to a barn loft!
    I take exception to them calling people lazy who work 10 to 12 hours a day in all kinds of weather six days a week. People that have their Christmas ruined every year so the public can have a good one. If you've never done this type of work before, try it sometime. You'll see what I mean. We are forever training new drivers, because of the driver turnover.
    Again, apologies for the lazy and indolent blast. That was ill spoken on my part, fact is, I loved most of my customers and had a great relationship with them. It's just this seven days a week thing has me bent. I know we won't have to work seven days, but driver scheduling is going to cause lots of logistical problems, making two teams.
    And yes, we deliver Amazon, mainly Prime.
    Imports are up 3 to 6% atleast for the fiscal year at almost all east coast ports.im absolutely sure this translates to some of your workload.it isnt slowing down for the foreseeable future either.import brokers are slammed. The Christmas rush hasnt even started yet.od expect you probably will be even busier than you have.good luck.