Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I have to say, the semifinals and the finals have been some of the more exciting 0-0 matches I've seen (admittedly I don't watch a ton of soccer outside of international competition).
    There have been some great matches lately on the men’s and women’s side. And EPL starts August 13!

Goal! And we deserved it after that vicious breakaway tackle. Unbelievable game by the young Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Goal! And we deserved it after that vicious breakaway tackle. Unbelievable game by the young Americans.
    Definitely some extra physical play from Mexico down the stretch.

What a game!! Great win for the US. Now hopefully we can build on this and win some when it "counts"!

USA!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn that was a great match to watch!

What a great game! Even without the goal I though Robinson played a phenomenal game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    What a great game! Even without the goal I though Robinson played a phenomenal game!!!
    Agreed, he was fantastic on both sides all match.

(Big ATLUTD fan here so glad to see)

USMNT World Cup Qualifying at El Salvador tonight at 10

Will somebody hold hands with me? After the horrors of last time around, I feel that a good result on the road to open is almost mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by bird View Post
    Will somebody hold hands with me? After the horrors of last time around, I feel that a good result on the road to open is almost mandatory.
    *virtual hand holding*

Anyone watch the game? Draw is better than a loss but we should be winning these games. Quick turnaround to play Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Anyone watch the game? Draw is better than a loss but we should be winning these games. Quick turnaround to play Canada.
    Yup. A point is better than nothing but not a very inspiring outing.

El Salvador

Issues:

Lack of cohesion and chemistry - shows up in the penalty area on offense and periods of inability to hold the ball
    Lack of obvious blazing talent on the field and disappointing play of some of the players

I hope return of Pulisic to the pitch and more games together of this group will be the solution.

But we are supposed to be talented and deep, yet Pulisic not playing had an obvious negative effect and an El Salvador (pop. 6.5M) team composed of domestic- and US-based players caused this US team problems.

The flip side of the coin is that we had nine first-time WCQ starters. It is not surprising that despite their talent, they clearly have things to learn about Concacaf matches.

Despite our talent, I’ve yet to see a cohesive offensive identity for this group in the final third. This set of players seems geared to win a lot of games 1-0 or 2-0, stealing a goal or two after the other team tires out. Even in our summer success, that was the recipe. The problem with that in qualifying is that so many teams will happily sit back and let us fumble about outside the area, and walk away with a 0-0 draw, and it’s tougher to tire out teams when there are five subs.

Again, this is a very young group, so hopefully we will see key players mature and that offensive identity will coalesce. And there is something to be said for a road draw in qualifying. Still, there seemed to be a decided lack of urgency in the players, which is weird for a squad that should be very aware how easily it is for qualifying efforts to go badly.

That is a nice breakdown. I will snarkily add that I don't think I've seen much indication of a cohesive offense since Dempsey retired.

Anyone else watching our Canada match?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am now!

Nice to see Pulisic again, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Nice to see Pulisic again, at least.
    Yup.

Nice, physical match.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeppers. I posted on another board at minute 19 that we had 0 shots and 0 dangerous opportunities. We got our first shot at min 21 and outplayed them the rest of the half. The power of shaming!

GOAAAAALLLL!!!!! Nice.