Page 96 of 99 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And Jeff Mullins -- both multiple-time NBA All-Stars
    Went many years to Jeff Mullins basketball camp at UNCC. Was a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And Jeff Mullins -- both multiple-time NBA All-Stars
    How could I not mention Mullins, our #44.

GoDuke!

Carlos Boozer announced on his IG feed that he earned his Duke degree. Every time one of our early entrants earns the Duke sheepskin, my pride in the program grows a little larger. Most of all, I am happy for the graduate who finishes the journey.

Well Done, C-Booz!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Carlos Boozer announced on his IG feed that he earned his Duke degree. Every time one of our early entrants earns the Duke sheepskin, my pride in the program grows a little larger. Most of all, I am happy for the graduate who finishes the journey.

Well Done, C-Booz!!!!
    even though it won't help Duke's graduation rates numbers, and i highly doubt that Carlos needs a "job" anymore, it's always nice to know that Duke players actually value education and are willing to put in the effort to graduate. I don't know what 'Los is up to, or if he even plans on using the degree he earned, but as someone who has earned multiple (seemingly worthless) degrees, i applaud the curiosity and motivation it takes to make it all the way to completion!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    even though it won't help Duke's graduation rates numbers, and i highly doubt that Carlos needs a "job" anymore, it's always nice to know that Duke players actually value education and are willing to put in the effort to graduate. I don't know what 'Los is up to, or if he even plans on using the degree he earned, but as someone who has earned multiple (seemingly worthless) degrees, i applaud the curiosity and motivation it takes to make it all the way to completion!
    Boozer is a basketball analyst with the ACC network. At least he was last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    I think Christian Laettner had a better (injury-plagued) NBA career (12.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg) than Gminski.
    Laettner was an all star one season which has to put him up there and G-Man had a very long NBA career.

ALL-NBA Teams announced. Jayson on Team 3. Being on any All NBA Team is a huge accomplishment that very few Duke players have achieved. Congrats!!!!

First: LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Doncic, Anthony Davis, James Harden

Second: Damian Lillard, Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Jokic, Chris Paul, Pascal Siakam

Third: Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum, Jimmy Butler, Rudy Gobert, Russell Westbrook

ALL-NBA Teams announced. Jayson on Team 3. Being on any All NBA Team is a huge accomplishment that very few Duke players have achieved. Congrats!!!!

First: LeBron James, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Luka Doncic, Anthony Davis, James Harden

To all the NBA writers who picked Siakam over Tatum for 2nd team...

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'd love to know what other alum have made the lists. Offhand shot:

G Hill
    Brand
    Kyrie...

?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

G Hill
    Brand
    Kyrie...

?
    Former players, not alums (except Grant).

G Hill
    Brand
    Kyrie...

?
    Some quick research, and not including all rookie or all ABA

Grant - 1 First, 4 Seconds
    Kyrie - 1 Second, 1 Third
    Elton - 1 Second
    Booz - 1 Third
    Jayson - 1 Third

Pretty elite company, and a reminder of how great Grant was in his prime. These are not easy teams to make.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Former players, not alums (except Grant).
    I chose my words carefully...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alumnus

Dictionaried!

My bad - I should stop being a know-it-all. I feel like I was incorrect last time we discussed this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Dictionaried!

My bad - I should stop being a know-it-all. I feel like I was incorrect last time we discussed this as well.
    No harm! I recall being surprised when I learned as well. It's safe to say that colloquially it had come to assume graduation.

Otherwise, UNC basketball would have very few alums!

No harm! I recall being surprised when I learned as well. It's safe to say that colloquially it had come to assume graduation.

Otherwise, UNC basketball would have very few alums!
    Your comment led me to try to determine whether UNC athletes even qualify as alums. It is one who "attended" a university. Does that mean going to classes or just setting foot on campus?

It is kind of like how I sometimes tell people that I played basketball at Duke. I did play basketball on the campus of Duke University (even in Cameron once or twice). If that leads you to believe that I played on the varsity men's basketball team, I'm not going to object to that assumption...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    To all the NBA writers who picked Siakam over Tatum for 2nd team...

Over Jimmy Butler, too. I know he has no Duke connection, but seems comparably egregious, maybe more so.

17. Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Over Jimmy Butler, too. I know he has no Duke connection, but seems comparably egregious, maybe more so.
    Butler, like Kyrie, has a reputation issue. But the dude can clearly ball. Even last year on the 76ers he was clearly the best player.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Butler, like Kyrie, has a reputation issue. But the dude can clearly ball. Even last year on the 76ers he was clearly the best player.
    I am under the impression that their reputational issues are a little different. I thought Butler was ferocious in his competitiveness and demanded everyone on his team live up to the same standards of preparations, focus, and drive, which many in the NBA cannot (and he impolitely tells them so). Basically a MJ or Kobe w/o their stature...JJ did a podcast with him a while back and they seemed to have a good discussion about it.

Nice seeing Plumlee getting some burn, he and his brother Miles have carved out nice careers in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    How could I not mention Mullins, our #44.

GoDuke!
    My first Duke player that was my favorite. Mullins, Marin, Vacendak, etc, are names that make me smile of long ago memories.

20. Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I am under the impression that their reputational issues are a little different. I thought Butler was ferocious in his competitiveness and demanded everyone on his team live up to the same standards of preparations, focus, and drive, which many in the NBA cannot (and he impolitely tells them so). Basically a MJ or Kobe w/o their stature...JJ did a podcast with him a while back and they seemed to have a good discussion about it.

Nice seeing Plumlee getting some burn, he and his brother Miles have carved out nice careers in the NBA.
    In addition to all that, Butler has a reputation of being a negative force in the locker room.

He's done two podcasts with JJ and they talk about it in much more detail in the first, specifically about his time with the Timberwolves.