Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1967
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    No. I do love Grayson, Tyus and Justise (I know he's not playing), but I've got to go with the Pelicans simply because JJ, Ingram and Zion all play meaningful minutes and are stars on the team. It's not even close. Right now my rooting interests in the NBA line up specifically with Duke players and their relative importance on the teams they play for:

1) NO
    2) Boston (Tatum)
    3) Dallas (Seth)
    4) Memphis
    5) Houston
    6) Sacrameno
    7) Denver
    8) LA

I think those are the only playoff push teams with Dukies on their active rosters. Let me know if I've missed any.

P.S. We desperately need Denver to lay a "L" on the Spurs today.
    Nets, with Lance Thomas.

No. I do love Grayson, Tyus and Justise (I know he's not playing), but I've got to go with the Pelicans simply because JJ, Ingram and Zion all play meaningful minutes and are stars on the team. It's not even close. Right now my rooting interests in the NBA line up specifically with Duke players and their relative importance on the teams they play for:

1) NO
    2) Boston (Tatum)
    3) Dallas (Seth)
    4) Memphis
    5) Houston
    6) Sacrameno
    7) Denver
    8) LA

I think those are the only playoff push teams with Dukies on their active rosters. Let me know if I've missed any.

P.S. We desperately need Denver to lay a "L" on the Spurs today.
    Looks like Denver got the W, so two good results so far today (Memphis also lost).

I'll re-arrange your list a little.

Actively root for:
    1) NO
    2) Memphis
    3) Brooklyn (Lance)
    4) Dallas
    ------------------
    Casual interest:
    5) Detroit
    6) Knicks
    7) Chicago
    8) Sacramento
    9) Portland
    10) Boston
    11) Denver
    ------------------
    Actively root against (non-Duke reasons):
    12) Houston
    13) LA

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Looks like Denver got the W, so two good results so far today (Memphis also lost).

I'll re-arrange your list a little.

Actively root for:
    1) NO
    2) Memphis
    3) Brooklyn (Lance)
    4) Dallas
    ------------------
    Casual interest:
    5) Detroit
    6) Knicks
    7) Chicago
    8) Sacramento
    9) Portland
    10) Boston
    11) Denver
    ------------------
    Actively root against (non-Duke reasons):
    12) Houston
    13) LA
    Lance is starting tonight...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Nets, with Lance Thomas.
    Thanks. Completely forgot about about Lance.

Anyone else conflicted on pulling for Memphis (Grayson, Tyus) vs. New Orleans (Zion, JJ, Ingram, Jackson, Okafor, Langdon) for the final playoff spot? Obviously New Orleans has the quanitity, and JJ is heading towards the end of his career so I feel like I pull for him by default, but it is hard for me to pull for Grayson/Tyus not​ to make it...two of my recent favorites.
    Not me. Love Tyus, in particular, but for me the imbalance is just too - um - asymmetrical

Meanwhile how does KD - whose team is theoretically in the playoff hunt — publicly pick other teams to play in the finals??
    Last edited by duke96; 08-05-2020 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Addition

Anyone else conflicted on pulling for Memphis (Grayson, Tyus) vs. New Orleans (Zion, JJ, Ingram, Jackson, Okafor, Langdon) for the final playoff spot? Obviously New Orleans has the quanitity, and JJ is heading towards the end of his career so I feel like I pull for him by default, but it is hard for me to pull for Grayson/Tyus not​ to make it...two of my recent favorites.
    100% pulling for NOLA. I want JJ to keep the streak alive! And they have the most Duke players in significant roles.

Darn it! How could I forget Portland, what with Gary Trent Jr playing so well. Gotta recalculate tomorrow.

Darn it! How could I forget Portland, what with Gary Trent Jr playing so well. Gotta recalculate tomorrow.
    How could I forget Gary Trent Jr.?
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    How could I forget Gary Trent Jr.?
    Gary and Grayson have been shooting lights out from 3 lately. 6-8, 7-11, 4-5!!!, Those are some unreal performances. Even otherwise good performances from 3 (1-1, 4-9) pale in comparison to those splash-heavy games.
    ed.- both are shooting well from 3 for the year: 41.2% for Gary and 42% for Grayson...

grayson

Grayson has been shooting remarkably well from three point land, at least for the last two games.

How do you evaluate 20 points in 27 minutes, but with a +/- rating of -18? Is that statistic of +/- misleading? Is he a defensive liability? I did not watch yesterday's game, but the players he most likely would have guarded did not have great offensive games.

I always wished the best for QuinnCook and wondered how, after two "player of the year" seasons in the G league, he did not at first make any NBA rosters. Is he a player held back by defensive problems?

Finally, it was fun watching Grayson chase after JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by korshmar View Post
    Grayson has been shooting remarkably well from three point land, at least for the last two games.

How do you evaluate 20 points in 27 minutes, but with a +/- rating of -18? Is that statistic of +/- misleading? Is he a defensive liability? I did not watch yesterday's game, but the players he most likely would have guarded did not have great offensive games.

I always wished the best for QuinnCook and wondered how, after two "player of the year" seasons in the G league, he did not at first make any NBA rosters. Is he a player held back by defensive problems?

Finally, it was fun watching Grayson chase after JJ.
    Assessing +/- in a one-game setting is challenging and not wise. You need to look at the player's +/- over the season.

That said, Grayson isn't a good defender right now. He tries, but he's just not quick enough laterally and too short to guard taller, more athletic players.

Grayson has turned into a phenomenal 3pt shooter during the bubble. I hope this isn't an anomaly but rather a sign of things to come. If he can work on playmaking and defensive positioning, he could definitely be a poorman's JJ.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Remembering Gary now, I'd revise my "In the Bubble" team rooting interests to the following:

1) NO - duh
    2) Boston - Tatum starts and is a star.
    3) Dallas - Seth has generally been starting as of late.
    4) Portland - Trent Jr playing meaningful minutes and is on fire.
    5) Memphis - Grayson doing the same as Trent Jr.
    6) Brooklyn (as long as Lance starts and plays solid minutes)
    7) Houston - Austin plays decent minutes.
    8) Denver - Mason plays some.
    9) Sacramento - Harry plays some. If Bagley were healthy and starting they would jump up a few spots.
    10) LA - Quinn just rides the pine. Painful to watch Danny Green and other Lakers I honestly don't like play while he sits.

I only included teams playing right now in the bubble. Once next season begins and we have several Dukies healthy again my rooting interests will change a bit. NO will still be #1 as long as Zion and Brandon are teamed up, even if JJ isn't there (although I sure hope he stays).

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    hat said, Grayson isn't a good defender right now. He tries, but he's just not quick enough laterally and too short to guard taller, more athletic players.

Grayson has turned into a phenomenal 3pt shooter during the bubble. I hope this isn't an anomaly but rather a sign of things to come. If he can work on playmaking and defensive positioning, he could definitely be a poorman's JJ.
    One thing I've noted with Grayson (and this isn't just during his time in the bubble) is that on picks up top he has a bad tendency to hesitate and allow his man too much room at the 3-point line. When the shooter pump fakes Grayson then lunges out to contest and then his man either draws a foul or blows past him. I've seen this happen many times this year. He definitely needs to work on his defensive positioning and closeouts.

I think I'd use the word 'frustrated' instead of 'conflicted'. It's frustrating that it looks to be one or the other and not both. I'm on team Pelican's all the way. JJ has always been one of my favorites. Ingram is playing incredible ball. Zion...well he's Zion with the gravitational pull and full weight of the next great...

With Memphis, I'm always rooting for Grayson. Love that kid and rooting for NO doesn't mean I'm rooting against him. Tyus and Justise are injured and not playing.

My neighbor who is also a Duke fan adopted a new puppy this summer, named him Grayson after GA.

Anyone notice the commercial break are longer now? I'm going to wear out the +30 button on my remote as it takes 6 of them to get back to the action.

It’s go time for the Pelicans. They absolutely cannot lose this game to the Kings if they want to make the playoffs. Frankly, I’m not sure they can afford to lose any more games going forward.

Kings start the game absolutely on fire. They are on pace for 50 points in the first quarter alone. Hitting everything they throw up. Pelicans better get on the ball defensively or their season is going to be over.

Phew! Thankfully the Pelican’s defense tightened and they only gave up 49 points in the first quarter.

There really is no reason for the Pels not to make the playoffs, perhaps even as a #8 seed.

They are 3-0 versus Memphis on the year and 4-0 versus Portland. Head-to-head is the first tiebreaker so if the Pels get even, then they are actually ahead.

Noew Orleans remaining schedule is as easy as possible. 2 with Sacto and 1 each with Washington and Orlando... three of the four worst teams in the bubble (along with the Nets). They also have one with San Antonio which will be a really big game but you gotta earn it somehow. There is really no reason for them not to go at least 4-1 in these remaining games and I would expect them to be favored in all 5 of the games.

-Jason "this post was written prior to the start of today's game... but I got distracted and forgot to him submit" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

^ the only reason I can think of is Alvin Gentry. He does not inspire confidence..