Page 77 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1967
    With Rondo out for 6 - 8 weeks

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...mb/5426251002/

and Avery Bradley out,

Where does that leave our man Quinn Cook?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Rajon Rondo arriving at the NBA Bubble and seeing the meager, "Motel 6"-level accommodations at Disneyland (for which most people have to save for years in order to afford a week's vacation):

With plenty of spots open on the Nets, it looks like Lance has a path back into the league.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Rajon Rondo arriving at the NBA Bubble and seeing the meager, "Motel 6"-level accommodations at Disneyland (for which most people have to save for years in order to afford a week's vacation)
    Check out the video I tweeted of PJ Tucker's dinner in the bubble tonight?
    https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...92606813409280

Surf and turf... that's looks like a $60+ meal to me. If this is hardship, sign me up for some of those tough times.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    https://twitter.com/JasonDukeEvans/s...92606813409280

Surf and turf... that's looks like a $60+ meal to me. If this is hardship, sign me up for some of those tough times.
    Wait, was that Kraft Mac n Cheese on that steak? Seriously.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Mrs. W came home from the market the other day with four boxes of Mac n Cheese, throwback meal, I'll admit we enjoyed it...went well with swordfish..

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I get a kick out of high-end restaurants serving macaroni and cheese with an expensive meal. If I ate all that mac 'n cheese, there would be no room left for the lobster, much less the steak.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I get a kick out of high-end restaurants serving macaroni and cheese with an expensive meal. If I ate all that mac 'n cheese, there would be no room left for the lobster, much less the steak.
    I've seen the old "Mac and Cheese with Lobster" trick, you generally get about three decent pieces of lobster hidden in a large pile of mac.

Lance signed by Nets

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    With plenty of spots open on the Nets, it looks like Lance has a path back into the league.
    Good call! Today the Nets announced that they have signed Lance Thomas as a substitute player for the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Good call! Today the Nets announced that they have signed Lance Thomas as a substitute player for the remainder of the season.
    Is Miles Plumlee waiting by his phone?

The NBA bubble itself is a fascinating storyline to me, which deserves its own Netflix series. You've got these multi-millionaires who are accustomed to living in the lap of luxury and having everything they want all the time, who are now forced to live in an isolated bubble and accept whatever accommodations are given to them. At the same time, they are bored out of their minds and thus taking to social media. Some of them like Rondo sound exactly what you'd expect bratty rich kids to sound like, complaining that their Disneyland resort room is trash. Others like Ja Morant are humble and appreciative, saying they understand that the NBA is working hard and doing their best and that they don't need to be pampered.

I'm also interested to see how the dynamics of bubble life play out on the court. As teams advance further into the playoffs, will some players get homesick and not be as driven to chase a ring? Will older players who already have titles and who have families at home decide to flat out bail? Will younger players like Zion and Tatum be even more valuable as they are less susceptible to bubble fatigue? In a way the NBA bubble is a little microcosm of society, and I think other professional leagues will also be waiting to see if they are able to pull this off.

Some of them like Rondo sound exactly what you'd expect bratty rich kids to sound like, complaining that their Disneyland resort room is trash. Others like Ja Morant are humble and appreciative, saying they understand that the NBA is working hard and doing their best and that they don't need to be pampered.
    I wonder what could explain this difference?

Ja Morant career earnings - $8.73 mil (and his career earnings were zero up until 9 months ago)
    Rajon Rondo career earnings - $100.1 mil
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Ja Morant career earnings - $8.73 mil (and his career earnings were zero up until 9 months ago)
    What do they say, Jason? You can get used to anything?

I’d like to think it has something to do with character.

If Grant Hill were still in the league, for instance, I’d expect him to be significantly more humble about the situation than Rondo. Maybe I’m wrong though.

The NBA bubble itself is a fascinating storyline to me, which deserves its own Netflix series. You've got these multi-millionaires who are accustomed to living in the lap of luxury and having everything they want all the time, who are now forced to live in an isolated bubble and accept whatever accommodations are given to them. At the same time, they are bored out of their minds and thus taking to social media. Some of them like Rondo sound exactly what you'd expect bratty rich kids to sound like, complaining that their Disneyland resort room is trash. Others like Ja Morant are humble and appreciative, saying they understand that the NBA is working hard and doing their best and that they don't need to be pampered.

I'm also interested to see how the dynamics of bubble life play out on the court. As teams advance further into the playoffs, will some players get homesick and not be as driven to chase a ring? Will older players who already have titles and who have families at home decide to flat out bail? Will younger players like Zion and Tatum be even more valuable as they are less susceptible to bubble fatigue? In a way the NBA bubble is a little microcosm of society, and I think other professional leagues will also be waiting to see if they are able to pull this off.
    I am right there with you, while some are saying that this will be an * Championship, I agree that it will stand apart but maybe even be more impressive because it's going to be a crazy mental test for these guys to be out of their environment. Injuries will surely play a role because of the time off and the rapid climb to the highest level of competition and the condensed schedule, but whomever can adapt the best mentally will be a huge storyline.

Agreed - I haven't been following it very closely but this seems to be begging for a Hard Knocks type series. Are they doing anything like that?

Apparently there is a "snitch line" where players can anonymously report others who violate the rules. Some are sticking with the idea of "snitches get stitches" while others have already used it. I'm not sure what the burden of proof is on this - what is to stop an opponent from falsely snitching on LeBron before game 7 of a playoff series?

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nb-a...212040010.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I am right there with you, while some are saying that this will be an * Championship, I agree that it will stand apart but maybe even be more impressive because it's going to be a crazy mental test for these guys to be out of their environment. Injuries will surely play a role because of the time off and the rapid climb to the highest level of competition and the condensed schedule, but whomever can adapt the best mentally will be a huge storyline.
    That's an interesting thought. Anytime any player has enough of an injury that they need to go to the hospital, they'll be subjected to quarantine, again, correct? And anyone that accompanies them. So say you twist your ankle, if you need an MRI, you're SOL for a bunch of days even if the results from the MRI are good.

Whatshisface last week left his room "inadvertently", and thus had to go back into quarantine for 8 more days. Same would apply for any trip. I'd think more so if you go to a hospital.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Agreed - I haven't been following it very closely but this seems to be begging for a Hard Knocks type series. Are they doing anything like that?

Apparently there is a "snitch line" where players can anonymously report others who violate the rules. Some are sticking with the idea of "snitches get stitches" while others have already used it. I'm not sure what the burden of proof is on this - what is to stop an opponent from falsely snitching on LeBron before game 7 of a playoff series?

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nb-a...212040010.html
    Your last question illustrates the reason that hearsay is not accepted as evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Not sure what's being produced officially, but in the meantime lots of players have been posting inside looks at the bubble.

76ers rookie Matisse Thybulle (you may remember him as a defensive ace from the University of Washington, he was the 2019 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year) has posted some of the best unvarnished looks inside the bubble. Here's his first video:

A second is available on YouTube, hope he posts more!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Everyone, except a few curmudgeons, count Washington's Super Bowl wins in the strike seasons of 1982 and 1987.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013