Page 76 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I agree with Ice-9's take. As good as Kerr and Korver were/are, they were never the focal point of opposing defenses the way that Curry, Miller, Bird or Allen were. They tended to play off the play-makers and get wide-open looks. Curry, et. al. had to take a lot more 3-pointers with a hand in their face.
    I don't disagree, but they eere good shooters who required guarding or they could kill you.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I would disagree. A great shooter is one who can put it in the basket when taking the shot. A smart shooter is one who takes good shots. A great scorer is who you describe.
    I don't disagree with your thought, but if we are talking about the GOAT of shooters, I do believe being an accurate shooter as a key part of the offense that the defense is designed around is an important criteria. I.e. a great scorer who is also a great shooter. But a great shooter who is not a great scorer should get a big discount in my opinion in the GOAT discussion; e.g. I'm sure there are many great shooters but not great scorers in leagues all around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    I don't disagree with your thought, but if we are talking about the GOAT of shooters, I do believe being an accurate shooter as a key part of the offense that the defense is designed around is an important criteria. I.e. a great scorer who is also a great shooter. But a great shooter who is not a great scorer should get a big discount in my opinion in the GOAT discussion; e.g. I'm sure there are many great shooters but not great scorers in leagues all around the world.
    I don't particularly concern myself with the GOAT concept. It is so subjective and so situation defined. I might be GOAT on one team and a more complementary player on another team.

Rodney Re-Enrolls

Quick update on Rodney Hood: He has re-enrolled in classes (online) at Duke during the pandemic. Also, I did not realize his wife was Richa (Jackson) Hood, a former standout on the women's basketball team.

Full article: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ife-basketball

Cant wait to see New Orleans aka Blue Devils South back in action!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Quick update on Rodney Hood: He has re-enrolled in classes (online) at Duke during the pandemic. Also, I did not realize his wife was Richa (Jackson) Hood, a former standout on the women's basketball team.

So cool! Thanks for sharing...

Here are the best parts of the article for me...

Faced with an uncertain future due to the combination of his serious injury and the league's shutdown, Hood, 27, turned back to his past: Duke University. The school where he played his final college season before entering the NBA draft in 2014 had begun offering online classes during the pandemic. Hood, who was eight credits shy of earning his degree when he left Duke, was urged to reenroll by his wife, Richa, who also played basketball at Duke before earning her degree in 2014."When he got injured and tore his Achilles, that's when I really was like, 'Yeah, OK. You really need to make sure you try to focus on getting your degree, especially during this downtime," said Richa, who majored in theater studies, with a minor in sociology. "This was a perfect opportunity to earn some credits and strive to get it."
    Finishing his college education is important to Hood. Both of his parents played basketball and earned degrees at Mississippi State, where Hood started his college career. His mother, Vicky, was a longtime educator and the first female principal at Meridian High School in Meridian, Mississippi. She holds a master's degree in education leadership, in addition to bachelor's degrees in business management and special education. Hood's sister, Whitney, and brother, Ricky Jr., played at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, earning degrees.
    "I've just got a real thirst for knowledge now, especially seeing how the world is, seeing how the disparity is with African American men, and I want to do something special," Hood said. "And getting a degree from Duke is special, especially coming from where I come from."
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

And their son was born in 2016. Start the 2034 recruiting thread?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

BR has an article up on overlooked moments from the 2016 Finals. One of them talks about Dahntay Jone's contributions, which was a nice reminder of a Dukie getting a ring.

Sam Vecenie is a college and pro basketball writer who has a real focus on the draft and evaluating talent. I feel like he has an ongoing attitude about Coach K, but I appreciate the hard work he puts into his craft and his evaluations of individual players, and teams, seems fair.

He writes for the Athletic and just published an analysis of the Top 50 players on rookie contracts. He puts them into tiers, and I thought it was worth sharing to substantiate just how much talent we have seen come through over the past 4 years. To respect their copy write, I'll just list the tiers and where our players fall. These are each accompanied by detailed analysis

"NBA Rookie Scale Prospects Ranking: The top 50 prospects"
    https://theathletic.com/1860883/2020...-50-prospects/ ($$$)

Tier 1: Franchise players who can be the best players on NBA Title Teams
    2. Zion
    3. Tatum

Tier 2: Potential Hall of Fame Trajectory
    6. Ingram

Tier 3: Multi-time All-Stars
    None

Tier 4: High-level starters with All-Star upside
    None

Tier 5: High-upside prospects, but there are flaws here
    24. Bagley
    26. RJ
    28. Reddish
    30. Wendell

Tier 6: Starting caliber players and “what happened with the 2019 Rookie Class?”
    45. Kennard

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Sam Vecenie is a college and pro basketball writer who has a real focus on the draft and evaluating talent. I feel like he has an ongoing attitude about Coach K, but I appreciate the hard work he puts into his craft and his evaluations of individual players, and teams, seems fair.

He writes for the Athletic and just published an analysis of the Top 50 players on rookie contracts. He puts them into tiers, and I thought it was worth sharing to substantiate just how much talent we have seen come through over the past 4 years. To respect their copy write, I'll just list the tiers and where our players fall. These are each accompanied by detailed analysis

"NBA Rookie Scale Prospects Ranking: The top 50 prospects"
    https://theathletic.com/1860883/2020...-50-prospects/ ($$$)

Tier 1: Franchise players who can be the best players on NBA Title Teams
    2. Zion
    3. Tatum

Tier 2: Potential Hall of Fame Trajectory
    6. Ingram

Tier 3: Multi-time All-Stars
    None

Tier 4: High-level starters with All-Star upside
    None

Tier 5: High-upside prospects, but there are flaws here
    24. Bagley
    26. RJ
    28. Reddish
    30. Wendell

Tier 6: Starting caliber players and “what happened with the 2019 Rookie Class?”
    45. Kennard
    I'm gonna assume Luka is #1, which I can't disagree with. That kid is a stud.

I do have a slight issue with 2. and 3., in terms that I think Tatum has more "Franchise" potential than Zion, mainly because Zion's health is the biggest question mark right now. But at 2. and 3., Zion/Tatum or Tatum/Zion makes sense. I'd take either over Morant, JJJ, or DeAndre.

I'm very surprised Bagley is Tier 5; he should be Tier 4 at the worst and possibly Tier 3. Injuries derailed this year, but everyone was so high on him.

And Reddish? Veceine has been in love with Reddish since he was a junior in high school. For Reddish to be placed a tad bit above RJ is just crazy.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I enjoyed reading the Vecenie article. He's written A LOT about NBA draft prospects and players on their rookie scale contracts. He's become one of my favorite writers on college, the NBA draft and NBA game. In general, I found the write-ups for each player to be pretty accurate without being too over-hyped. He notes that Zion has only played 19 games but that his historic production went up, not down, as he played more. The kid is on a truly stratospheric trajectory. I hope he plays 13+ mostly healthy years in the NBA just so we can all witness this. Tatum has clearly unlocked a new level as well as a superstar in the sport. The Tier 1 players end after Doncic, Zion, and Tatum.

Overall, I think he was fair and practically upbeat about the prospects for each of the Duke guys. Half of his top 6 rookie scale players are Dukies. He was honest in his assessment of RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish, described Wendell Carter, Jr. as one of the guys he could see shooting up this ranking in a year now that Chicago is cleaning house, and even said some interesting things about Luke Kennard. For Bagley, it's about health. Vecenie notes for both Barrett and Bagley that they have a track record in high school and at Duke of being extremely productive players. I think with the Knicks getting entirely new management and coaching, Barrett could finally start getting the pieces around him to succeed. He hasn't played in college or the NBA with any kind of shooting. He needs the ball in his hands as a secondary or even primary playmaker. Vecenie, for one, seems to think he deserves the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I'm gonna assume Luka is #1, which I can't disagree with. That kid is a stud.

I do have a slight issue with 2. and 3., in terms that I think Tatum has more "Franchise" potential than Zion, mainly because Zion's health is the biggest question mark right now. But at 2. and 3., Zion/Tatum or Tatum/Zion makes sense. I'd take either over Morant, JJJ, or DeAndre.

I'm very surprised Bagley is Tier 5; he should be Tier 4 at the worst and possibly Tier 3. Injuries derailed this year, but everyone was so high on him.

And Reddish? Veceine has been in love with Reddish since he was a junior in high school. For Reddish to be placed a tad bit above RJ is just crazy.
    Well, also Tatum landed in a FAR better franchise for "best player, multiple titles."

If Zion achieves this, it will be a more impressive dear.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, also Tatum landed in a FAR better franchise for "best player, multiple titles."

If Zion achieves this, it will be a more impressive dear.
    Agreed.

Although with Ingram (impressive second scorer), Lonzo (excellent distributor and defender), and a bunch of shooters, the Pellies have arguably the best young core in the game. The Celtics only have a two-man core, but that core is formidable.

Agreed.

Although with Ingram (impressive second scorer), Lonzo (excellent distributor and defender), and a bunch of shooters, the Pellies have arguably the best young core in the game. The Celtics only have a two-man core, but that core is formidable.
    That's all well and good, but a trophy in New Orleans would be way more impressive than another in Boston.

That's all well and good, but a trophy in New Orleans would be way more impressive than another in Boston.
    Imagine the float at Mardi Gras.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Imagine the float at Mardi Gras.
    Zion could get his own krewe!

Zion could get his own krewe!
    It looks like Zion might have been lifting entire floats since the shutdown. Apparently he shed 25 pounds of fat and added 10 pounds of muscle per Mark Titus.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    It looks like Zion might have been lifting entire floats since the shutdown. Apparently he shed 25 pounds of fat and added 10 pounds of muscle per Mark Titus.
    I think the quote is tongue in cheek.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Agreed.

I've never been a big Lonzo fan (probably because of his idiot Dad and freaky shooting form) but Lonzo and Zion really work well together. Lonzo is a good a willing passer and seems to understand how good Zion can/will be. I could see NO growing into a really good team in a year or two.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29452783

Wonder where JJ learned that?

On a serious note looks like teams have to make major adjustments without the normal physical therapy equipment.