Page 68 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Kyrie Irving elected VP of the NBA Players Association today, reported via Woj tweet.
    An important honor from his peers. Also, his off-court work as Uncle Drew has been hugely successful, and he may have some insights valuable to the NBPA.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    An important honor from his peers. Also, his off-court work as Uncle Drew has been hugely successful, and he may have some insights valuable to the NBPA.
    I've been extremely critical of his off court weirdness, but this suggests other players see something quite different in him. Glad to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That is just hilarious!

They must like him! They really, really like him!

I wonder if he will fight for players to get hazardous duty play if they are scheduled to play too close to an edge of the Earth?
    You know that's snide and uncalled for and really, really funny.

As a Duke fan, I for one am happy for him.

Kyrie out indefinitely. Shocking that he would miss more games than he would play during the season KD is out 🙄

Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post
    Kyrie out indefinitely. Shocking that he would miss more games than he would play during the season KD is out 🙄
    Shocking to see more Kyrie hate from Boston fans here.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That is just hilarious!

They must like him! They really, really like him!

I wonder if he will fight for players to get hazardous duty play if they are scheduled to play too close to an edge of the Earth?
    Come on - everyone knows there is a giant wall keeping all the water in. Let’s not get silly here.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Come on - everyone knows there is a giant wall keeping all the water in. Let’s not get silly here.
    This has been my only real beef with KI --- teacher friends have complained to me (multiple teachers, in very different geographies) that they've seen an uptick in kids talking about the earth being flat. Like, from zero 5 years ago to several kids in a class. Plenty of reasons for this (looking at you, internet) but Kyrie has been cited a few times, too. I believe he was confronted by a teacher about it and it did affect him...so, that's good.

I'll defend your right to criticize Kyrie's play and offcourt behavior - some of it I disagree with more than others. But please don't mock an injury to a Blue Devil, past or present.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll defend your right to criticize Kyrie's play and offcourt behavior - some of it I disagree with more than others. But please don't mock an injury to a Blue Devil, past or present.
    I'm not mocking his injury. It is just... interesting how and when these things tend to pop up for him.

I'm not mocking his injury. It is just... interesting how and when these things tend to pop up for him.
    Yes, quite mysterious. It's almost as though the style of play he uses puts his body in harm's way quite frequently.

Can you explain the trend? It seems like this season is the one where he is missing a ton of games, but he has never been consistently healthy. He has played 51, 59, 71, 75, 53, 72, 60, and 67 games in previous seasons. Seems like he usually gets hurt once or twice a season and misses some time, and this has been consistent throughout his career. This year has been an exceptionally poor season in terms of health. I don't think 1 example is enough to call it a trend, especially in light of the actual injury. Shoulder impingement is not something with an obvious timeline. As someone who has dealt with hip impingement, it eventually required surgery and a long rehab process but was still the end of my competitive running career because I tried to run through it for too long before surgery. I have no idea how real Kyrie's injury is, but he seems like a very competitive guy. I have no reason to believe that there is anything more to the injury than the injury itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Adaephon View Post
    Can you explain the trend? It seems like this season is the one where he is missing a ton of games, but he has never been consistently healthy. He has played 51, 59, 71, 75, 53, 72, 60, and 67 games in previous seasons. Seems like he usually gets hurt once or twice a season and misses some time, and this has been consistent throughout his career. This year has been an exceptionally poor season in terms of health. I don't think 1 example is enough to call it a trend, especially in light of the actual injury. Shoulder impingement is not something with an obvious timeline. As someone who has dealt with hip impingement, it eventually required surgery and a long rehab process but was still the end of my competitive running career because I tried to run through it for too long before surgery. I have no idea how real Kyrie's injury is, but he seems like a very competitive guy. I have no reason to believe that there is anything more to the injury than the injury itself.
    You're probably right. It felt like he was trying to minimize his games played this year to lighten his load since KD won't be there this year, so there isn't much point in exerting himself or risking further injury, etc.

You're probably right. It felt like he was trying to minimize his games played this year to lighten his load since KD won't be there this year, so there isn't much point in exerting himself or risking further injury, etc.
    "It felt like" is an insulting accusation for an NBA All-Star masquerading as an emotional vibe. Please take this stuff elsewhere.

That's even before we say that such a post on a public Duke fan forum is inappropriate.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

"It felt like" is an insulting accusation for an NBA All-Star masquerading as an emotional vibe. Please take this stuff elsewhere.

That's even before we say that such a post on a public Duke fan forum is inappropriate.
    Thank you!

More on Kyrie -- Surgery??

Here's a quote from ESPN story:
    Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving is considering treatment options on his right shoulder impingement, including the possibility of surgery, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Malika Andrews. Irving is expected to reach a decision in the next few days, per sources.
    Sage Grouse

Here's a quote from ESPN story:
    I just got an ESPN notification on my phone saying Kyrie will have season-ending shoulder surgery.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I just got an ESPN notification on my phone saying Kyrie will have season-ending shoulder surgery.
    Get better soon, young man.

Fivethirtyeight column on Jayson Tatum, and how some changes to his game have improved his productivity:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...became-a-star/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Fivethirtyeight column on Jayson Tatum, and how some changes to his game have improved his productivity:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...became-a-star/
    Great read. Thanks for posting!

The closing paragraph here is a kicker:

Tatum’s strides as a defender, rebounder and playmaker have allowed him to contribute at a high level even in the odd game when his shot isn’t falling. This type of all-around growth is what takes a player from promising young talent to All-Star. Continuing that growth and also building consistency on a night-to-night basis takes that same player from All-Star to superstar. Tatum has conquered the first part of that process, and he may be on his way to achieving the second.
    When Tatum was drafted, a buddy of mine, a big Celtics fan, asked me about him. I told him at the time that he was as impressive a player that has come through Duke as I could have remembered (this was pre-Bagley and Zion, mind you). There were a lot of other options for scoring on the team - Allen, Kennard, Jefferson, etc. Man, how did that team not reach at least the Final Four? At any rate, I am excited to see Tatum continue to grow and blossom into a full-on superstar. Ever since his days as a high school recruit, he has had this look of being a future stud. It's really fun to see it happen.