Page 59 of 99 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by npdevil27 View Post
    No one would say Kyrie is even among the best point guards today, let alone all time. He is possibly the worst leader that I have ever seen in terms of a star professional athlete. He has absolutely zero self awareness.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. Have a blessed day. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. Have a blessed day. GoDuke!
    I dunno, someone is paying Kyrie a lot of money. He's 17th in current salary among all players, mostly NOT point guards. Strange duck, but he's a pretty amazing basketball player.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Kyrie is still terrific, but there's no doubt that he's turned off a lot of his supporters with a series of dimwitted comments. I had expected more of him after his championship season.

No one would say Kyrie is even among the best point guards today, let alone all time. He is possibly the worst leader that I have ever seen in terms of a star professional athlete. He has absolutely zero self awareness.
    What the...?!?!? Are you a troll? Kyrie is unfiltered and can make some poor decisions on what he should and should not say from time to time. But he is a Duke guy and a great rep to have in the NBA, seeing as how he loves the University and only speaks highly of Duke basketball. He's also an amazing NBA player and absolutely one of the best point guards in the league right now. Or have you missed U.S.A. Basketball, the NBA All-Star games, and the playoffs from the last half dozen or so years? You might want to dial the hate and putdowns back just a bit.

Oh, and bless your heart.

You must be new to DBR. If you weren’t you wouldn’t be making such harsh comments about a former Duke player. Prepare for the backlash. I can see it’s already underway.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Haha, you definitely are from the South. That’s the classic southern put-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You must be new to DBR. If you weren’t you wouldn’t be making such harsh comments about a former Duke player. Prepare for the backlash. I can see it’s already underway.
    Not new... 40 total posts since 2007 with no recent activity before today. Rather strange way to pop back on the DBR radar.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

What the...?!?!? Are you a troll? Kyrie is unfiltered and can make some poor decisions on what he should and should not say from time to time. But he is a Duke guy and a great rep to have in the NBA, seeing as how he loves the University and only speaks highly of Duke basketball. He's also an amazing NBA player and absolutely one of the best point guards in the league right now. Or have you missed U.S.A. Basketball, the NBA All-Star games, and the playoffs from the last half dozen or so years? You might want to dial the hate and putdowns back just a bit.

I think Kyrie is absolutely must watch TV and one of the five most gifted players to wear a Duke uniform.

I also think he's an embarrassing collosal ding-dong who either doesn't realize the impact of his words, or doesn't care.

These things can be concurrently true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think Kyrie is absolutely must watch TV and one of the five most gifted players to wear a Duke uniform.

I also think he's an embarrassing collosal ding-dong who either doesn't realize the impact of his words, or doesn't care.

Exactly. The other day he commented about how it was obvious the team needed more pieces. Which isn't untrue. But he made these comments directly after a 6-21 shooting performance in which he played no defense. The Nets lost by 11 that night. In 11 minutes without Kyrie on the floor, the team was +18. In the 37 minutes with him on, they were -29. No one one the team was worse than -10. That's borderline impossible to do.

He has such little awareness that I almost question whether he is doing it on purpose. Maybe he should question himself more than his teammates.

He road the coattails of LeBron to a title and now thinks he is god's gift to basketball. I don't think he is a good ambassador for the university just because he supports Duke. There's a lot more to it than that.

And for those that have asked about trolling or new to DBR, no. I've been a member here since 2000 or so. Class of '03. I lurk from time to time. Haven't posted much in the last 10 years.

Exactly. The other day he commented about how it was obvious the team needed more pieces. Which isn't untrue. But he made these comments directly after a 6-21 shooting performance in which he played no defense. The Nets lost by 11 that night. In 11 minutes without Kyrie on the floor, the team was +18. In the 37 minutes with him on, they were -29. No one one the team was worse than -10. That's borderline impossible to do.

He has such little awareness that I almost question whether he is doing it on purpose. Maybe he should question himself more than his teammates.

He road the coattails of LeBron to a title and now thinks he is god's gift to basketball. I don't think he is a good ambassador for the university just because he supports Duke. There's a lot more to it than that.

And for those that have asked about trolling or new to DBR, no. I've been a member here since 2000 or so. Class of '03. I lurk from time to time. Haven't posted much in the last 10 years.
    It sounds like I think a bit more of him as a basketball player than you do, but we have a similar regard for his off the court comments.

Comments, not behavior, to be clear. To my knowledge, he has never had any legal issues or caused a single disturbance other than having weird answers to offer the press.

In a weird way, he's like the basketball Kanye West.

It sounds like I think a bit more of him as a basketball player than you do, but we have a similar regard for his off the court comments.

Comments, not behavior, to be clear. To my knowledge, he has never had any legal issues or caused a single disturbance other than having weird answers to offer the press.

Kanye is a great comparison

Of course they can, but this wasn’t the contention of the post in question. Kyrie’s words, actions AND play were called into question. He was summarily dismissed at every level, including his on court play. This was at the heart of my objection.

Of course they can, but this wasn’t the contention of the post in question. Kyrie’s words, actions AND play were called into question. He was summarily dismissed at every level, including his on court play. This was at the heart of my objection.
    Well, I made my point clearly. He's almost peerless on the court.

Good distinction on comments versus actions. There some folks who really get upset when athletes say certain things but said athletes are generally wonderful role models in terms of family life, charity work, money management, and absence of any legal issues. Kyrie seems to be an upstanding guy for the most part. Frankly, all his basketball snark and pontificating are part of the entertainment side of the sports entertainment business as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t care as I’m not a sports purist.

The only thing he’s ever done to really piss me off is the flat earth stuff because teacher friends told me it made its way into their classrooms.

Well, I made my point clearly. He's almost peerless on the court.
    Then we agree. But I disagree with np’s overall characterization of Kyrie not being an elite pg and a poor representative of Duke.

I don't watch a lot of Kyrie. The numbers are great. But I read all the bonehead statements, and have a general feel of his team's wins and losses. This is the second year in a row his team has had much better success without him on the court in terms of wins and losses. I don't know the plus minus stats or any of that. I don't know much at all. But still, I just wonder if his teammates hate playing with him.

If he played more at Duke, I'd probably be quicker to jump to his defense, but we barely knew him. It seems like he gets in his own way repeatedly in a way that's kind of embarrassing. Not a huge fan.

Almost peerless on the court? I’d argue he’s not a top 20 player in the NBA.

Almost peerless on the court? I’d argue he’s not a top 20 player in the NBA.
    Who is on your list of better and/or more entertaining PGs?

Who is on your list of better and/or more entertaining PGs?
    He is definitely #1 on the entertainment scale - no argument there. But not for the reasons he’d like to be!

He is definitely #1 on the entertainment scale - no argument there. But not for the reasons he’d like to be!
    So let's hear your list of better, then.