Page 53 of 99 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Huge game from RJ tonight against the Hawks and he posterized De'Andre Hunter at the 3 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGtepu05UmA
    Love the matador defense at 0m30s; I believe that is an aged Tar Heel who needs a red cape to complete the look.

Wendell Carter, Jr.

This is regarding the front page article about Dan Dakich and his comments about Wendell Carter, Jr. If Dakich was not such a p.o.s. and had ever talked to anyone in the Bulls organization, they would know that Carter is one of the few guys that brings it every night and has the attitude to succeed in the NBA. Frankly, this only further shows that Dakich is a clown.

Here's a relevant quote from Carter from November:

Wendell Carter Jr.: "I know I'm pissed. Not to talk about my past, but me coming from a winning culture and then last year wasn't so good for us and then this year, it bothers me. I don't even care about my stats. Because none of that matters if we're not winning."
    Trying to call out a kid based on one joke on the floor after a loss is pathetic and further evidence that Dakich doesn't look to see or understand. He just mouths off. It's why he's talking about sports and not coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    In a more general sense, Steph deserves some credit for moving the NBA as a whole towards volume three-point shooting, which has benefited Seth and a lot of other good shooters who might have been niche players 10 years ago.
    Good point. I wonder how 1999 Trajan Langdon would do if transported to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    I got the sarcasm part. My point is just that I don’t see anything that distinguishes him from a lot of other guys who are his size and level of athleticism, yet Cam got to be a lottery pick. Just wondering what I’m missing.
    Well, you can start with the fact that there just aren't that many guys who are his size and level of athleticism which does distinguish him from the rest of humanity. Seriously though, while he hasn't shot the ball well so far (nor did he really at Duke either for that matter) he was/is still considered to be a good shooter and does have a high level of potential. Potential is often a driving force in drafting in the lottery. I will admit that if Reddish can't get his shooting numbers up and be more consistent, he may find his next contract to be much smaller than he hopes. I think that he will figure out his shot and become much more productive by the end of the season. I also have to say that it is a breath of fresh air to see the Hawks give him playing time despite his struggles. So often you see rookies sitting at the end of the bench racking up dnp's because their coaches refuse to play them. Altlanta is terrible, might as well get Reddish some good game experience so that he is ready to contribute when they are more competitive.

Maybe Cam Reddish is starting to figure things out in the NBA a little bit. He had a career night on December 4th, going for 25 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals and a block. Including that game, his averages for the past 8 games played, including 3 starts:

12.1 points/4.9 rebounds/1.0 assists/1.0 steals on 40.7% FG%/38.5% 3P%/72.7% FT% shooting

It's a small sample, but encouraging. Brandon Ingram had a similarly difficult start to his NBA career in Los Angeles. He started to produce more and more as the season progressed. I hope that Reddish is on a similar trajectory. Given his body and skillset, I really do believe he could blossom into an exceptional player in time. Of course, he might not ever get there. But I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Maybe Cam Reddish is starting to figure things out in the NBA a little bit. He had a career night on December 4th, going for 25 points, 6 rebounds, 3 steals and a block. Including that game, his averages for the past 8 games played, including 3 starts:

12.1 points/4.9 rebounds/1.0 assists/1.0 steals on 40.7% FG%/38.5% 3P%/72.7% FT% shooting

It's a small sample, but encouraging. Brandon Ingram had a similarly difficult start to his NBA career in Los Angeles. He started to produce more and more as the season progressed. I hope that Reddish is on a similar trajectory. Given his body and skillset, I really do believe he could blossom into an exceptional player in time. Of course, he might not ever get there. But I hope.
    Good point about Ingram. It's worth taking a moment to recognize his tremendous progress. In particular, look how his shooting stats have improved over his four years in the league:

Games FG% 3FG% FT%
    2016-17 79 40.2% 29.4% 62.1%
    2017-18 59 47.0% 39.0% 68.1%
    2018-19 52 49.7% 33.0% 67.5%
    2019-20 25 48.9% 39.6% 84.2%

He's having a tremendous season, with career highs in scoring (25.3) and rebounding (7.1). Who knows at this point if Cam Reddish will develop on a similar path, but let's tip a cap to Brandon Ingram, who at 22 years old looks like the star we were all hoping he would become.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Good point about Ingram. It's worth taking a moment to recognize his tremendous progress. In particular, look how his shooting stats have improved over his four years in the league:

Games FG% 3FG% FT%
    2016-17 79 40.2% 29.4% 62.1%
    2017-18 59 47.0% 39.0% 68.1%
    2018-19 52 49.7% 33.0% 67.5%
    2019-20 25 48.9% 39.6% 84.2%

He's having a tremendous season, with career highs in scoring (25.3) and rebounding (7.1). Who knows at this point if Cam Reddish will develop on a similar path, but let's tip a cap to Brandon Ingram, who at 22 years old looks like the star we were all hoping he would become.
    I greatly appreciated Brandon at Duke. First, he was a coveted Cheat recruit who came to Duke. Second, Coach K said something to the effect that "Brandon is not a low maintenance guy, he's a no maintenance guy." Third, he was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I greatly appreciated Brandon at Duke. First, he was a coveted Cheat recruit who came to Duke. Second, Coach K said something to the effect that "Brandon is not a low maintenance guy, he's a no maintenance guy." Third, he was really good.
    Well said! In particular, I will always remember the 2016 game at UNC when, shorthanded in the second half (no Amile, no Matt Jones, only bench option is freshman Chase Jeter) we went four or five possessions in a row with "give the ball to Brandon and let him create." He delivered every time, for a very surprising and satisfying win.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ja-morant/amp/

Grayson Allen was given a technical the other night for taunting Kevin Porter. But if you watch the replay Porter jumped and swiped at the ball, missed, and instead hit Grayson right in the face. It seemed to me like Porter was purposely reckless, and looking to make rough contact with Grayson. And then immediately after Porter landed on the ground he stares Grayson down and then talked some smack. Grayson was probably smarting over having just gotten hit in the face and was likely further upset by Porter’s stare down and negative words. So Grayson got in his face and clapped aggressively. And for this Allen is given a technical while Porter gets away with a simple foul — an injustice in my eyes.

As an FYI, Allen recently missed a considerable number of games due to injury, but in his first two games back, Friday and Saturday, he shot 8-13 from the field and 5-8 from three. Let’s hope he keeps these strong shooting numbers going.
    Last edited by Steven43; 12-22-2019 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

Grayson Allen was given a technical the other night for taunting Kevin Porter. But if you watch the replay Porter jumped and swiped at the ball, missed, and instead hit Grayson right in the face. It seemed to me like Porter was purposely reckless, and looking to make rough contact with Grayson. And then immediately after Porter landed on the ground he stares Grayson down and then talked some smack. Grayson was probably smarting over having just gotten hit in the face and was likely further upset by Porter’s stare down and negative words. So Grayson got in his face and clapped aggressively. And for this Allen is given a technical while Porter gets away with a simple foul — an injustice in my eyes.

As an FYI, Allen recently missed a considerable number of games due to injury, but in his first two games back, Friday and Saturday, he shot 8-13 from the field and 5-8 from three. Let’s hope he keeps these strong shooting numbers going.
    I saw this gleefully posted on IC. I agree that Grayson probably drew a quick whistle but he should probably expect that. He has talent and passion but I’m not sure he’s good enough to be this immature in the league. He’d probably be better served to just fly under the radar.

Players frequently get flagged/whistled for the reaction rather than the action. Grayson should be smarter than that - especially given the microscope he is under.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Players frequently get flagged/whistled for the reaction rather than the action. Grayson should be smarter than that - especially given the microscope he is under.
    Second guy gets penalized.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think Grayson may need another talk with Coach K.

I saw him play against the Warriors two weeks ago at Chase Center. He played great until he injured his ankle.

It's perfectly fine for Grayson to pick up a "T" here and there when it's appropriate. Sorry but that doesn't make him wrong or immature and no, he doesn't need to have a talk with Koach.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There is talk the Nets may shut him down. They are pretty much playing for next year at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Couple of Duke guys (3 by my count) make an appearance in the latest Game of Zones...usually good for a chuckle or two.

Marvin Hurt Again

Marvin hurt his ankle and limped off the court on Thursday night. He was wearing a walking boot after the game. He had scored 18 points in only 20 minutes before the injury. For those that don't follow the NBA, Marvin had just returned from a thumb injury he suffered in the first game of the season. So far, it's been a tough season for Marvin.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/201...d-injured.html

The injury bug continues. Kennard out for two weeks.