Page 52 of 99 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Is it too early to worry about Cam Reddish? I mean it's been a year in college and over a quarter through the NBA season. To be a 3 and D guy, he really needs to get those percentages up.
    I cannot fathom how a guy who just turned 20 would ever get better at basketball. He's done. Wasted draft pick by the Hawks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I cannot fathom how a guy who just turned 20 would ever get better at basketball. He's done. Wasted draft pick by the Hawks.
    do I detect some facetiousness?

For my part I am still feeling a Paul George likeness.Maybe not exactly but somewhere up there...Just give the lad some time...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Seth with an efficient 26 in 26 minutes today as the Mavs topped the Bucks.

Awesome night by Seth! 26 points on 15 shots in 26 mins off the bench (and 5 rebs 4 assists) to help the Mavs end the Bucks 18 game win streak. Good for him!!

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Awesome night by Seth! 26 points on 15 shots in 26 mins off the bench (and 5 rebs 4 assists) to help the Mavs end the Bucks 18 game win streak. Good for him!!
    I never thought Seth could get it done like this in the NBA, I saw him more as an end-of-bench guy, if not playing in Europe. It just goes to show what elite shooting means in the L. I am really happy for him.

A bit of a provocative question...how much credit do we give being Steph Curry's brother with Seth's success?

Obviously, Seth has to perform on the court and make the shots, plays, etc. He gets 100% credit for all of that, the work involved, etc.

But, were he not Steph's brother, would Duke have recruited him from Liberty? Would his early days in the G-League have been met with pessimism and not optimism? Would he have the same confidence in his ability to make an NBA career for himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I never thought Seth could get it done like this in the NBA, I saw him more as an end-of-bench guy, if not playing in Europe. It just goes to show what elite shooting means in the L. I am really happy for him.

A bit of a provocative question...how much credit do we give being Steph Curry's brother with Seth's success?

Obviously, Seth has to perform on the court and make the shots, plays, etc. He gets 100% credit for all of that, the work involved, etc.

But, were he not Steph's brother, would Duke have recruited him from Liberty? Would his early days in the G-League have been met with pessimism and not optimism? Would he have the same confidence in his ability to make an NBA career for himself?
    He was Steph's brother when Duke and all the other majors ignored him in high school.

Averaging 20 ppg in his one season at Liberty moved the needle a lot more than his lineage, I suspect.

At Duke he led an Elite Eight team in scoring and made some All-America teams, while playing with a bad leg.

Trust me, Seth Curry has never lacked for confidence.

I saw an interview somewhere (and sorry I can't find it now to link) where the Curry family said that being Steph's brother actually HURT Seth's NBA career. Their logic was that Seth was always compared to Steph by scouts - he can't shoot off the dribble as well, he's not as athletic, etc - and the family said that constantly being compared to an NBA MVP vs being looked at on his own was a lot to overcome. Obviously they are overlooking the many benefits, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    He was Steph's brother when Duke and all the other majors ignored him in high school.
    Averaging 20 ppg in his one season at Liberty moved the needle a lot more than his lineage, I suspect.
    At Duke he led an Elite Eight team in scoring and made some All-America teams, while playing with a bad leg.
    Trust me, Seth Curry has never lacked for confidence.
    I hear you, but I feel like Steph didn't become STEPH in college until after Seth's recruitment was likely done, and he similarly didn't transform from a solid/promising but injury-plagued starter into an All NBA/MVP until Steph was just out of Duke. I feel like both times he POPPED happened to coincide with Seth's jump from Liberty to Duke and from undrafted to "multiple G-League opportunities". Again, I give Seth the lion's share of the credit, I just wonder how much credit can be attributed to Steph. I think it's more than a little.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I saw an interview somewhere (and sorry I can't find it now to link) where the Curry family said that being Steph's brother actually HURT Seth's NBA career. Their logic was that Seth was always compared to Steph by scouts - he can't shoot off the dribble as well, he's not as athletic, etc - and the family said that constantly being compared to an NBA MVP vs being looked at on his own was a lot to overcome. Obviously they are overlooking the many benefits, but I thought it was an interesting perspective.
    Yes, but I expect the family to protest in the opposite direction when they are self-conscious about the original implication.

Maybe we just need to give Dell credit for both of them and leave it at that. Or, let's be really real and just bow down to Sonya.

I hear you, but I feel like Steph didn't become STEPH in college until after Seth's recruitment was likely done, and he similarly didn't transform from a solid/promising but injury-plagued starter into an All NBA/MVP until Steph was just out of Duke.
    Seth didn't commit/sign with Liberty until after the 2008 season in which older brother Steph led Davidson to the Elite Eight. I'm not sure how we define STEPH but as a freshman in 2007 he averaged 21.5 ppg and none of the big boys targeted Seth, who after all averaged 22.3 ppg as a senior for Charlotte Christian.

And Seth was a very good student. The only thing that makes any sense to me is the Stephen was such a unique story that it couldn't possibly be duplicated. A head-scratcher to me.

But I'm reasonably certain Duke targeted Seth (after Elliott Williams announced his transfer) more because of what he had done at Liberty, not what his brother had done.

Seth didn't commit/sign with Liberty until after the 2008 season in which older brother Steph led Davidson to the Elite Eight. I'm not sure how we define STEPH but as a freshman in 2007 he averaged 21.5 ppg and none of the big boys targeted Seth, who after all averaged 22.3 ppg as a senior for Charlotte Christian.

And Seth was a very good student. The only thing that makes any sense to me is the Stephen was such a unique story that it couldn't possibly be duplicated. A head-scratcher to me.

But I'm reasonably certain Duke targeted Seth (after Elliott Williams announced his transfer) more because of what he had done at Liberty, not what his brother had done.
    Fair enough...I found this old WSJ article about both of their lack of college recruitment which is a fun "doh!" account of Seth Greenberg's folly, which is always fun to revisit
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB123681216980401339

Yes, but couldn’t you say that about a multitude of reasonably athletic 6’8” guys who are mediocre shooters? I love Cam and he’s our guy, but what makes him different?

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Yes, but couldn’t you say that about a multitude of reasonably athletic 6’8” guys who are mediocre shooters? I love Cam and he’s our guy, but what makes him different?
    I was being sarcastic... of course it is too early to give up on a teen who has played less than half of a season of NBA basketball.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Somewhere in this discussion about Seth I think it is worth pointing out that before he signed a NBA deal, he was averaging almost 24 ppg in the G-League while hitting 47% of his 3s. I don't care if you went to Duke or went to a NAIA nobody. I don't care if you brother is the NBA MVP or if you come from a family where everyone has unequal length legs and no thumbs... numbers like that will get you noticed and get you a shot in the show. Seth got his shot and showed he belonged. Period, end of story.

Again, I give Seth the lion's share of the credit, I just wonder how much credit can be attributed to Steph. I think it's more than a little.
    In a more general sense, Steph deserves some credit for moving the NBA as a whole towards volume three-point shooting, which has benefited Seth and a lot of other good shooters who might have been niche players 10 years ago.

Well... I recall Coach K, maybe saying jokingly (sorry, no way for me to find any link... beyond my capabilities), that he let one Curry go by, he wasn't about to let another Curry go by. Maybe as much for their parents as for Seth and Steph.

I hear you, but I feel like Steph didn't become STEPH in college until after Seth's recruitment was likely done, and he similarly didn't transform from a solid/promising but injury-plagued starter into an All NBA/MVP until Steph was just out of Duke. I feel like both times he POPPED happened to coincide with Seth's jump from Liberty to Duke and from undrafted to "multiple G-League opportunities". Again, I give Seth the lion's share of the credit, I just wonder how much credit can be attributed to Steph. I think it's more than a little.

Yes, but I expect the family to protest in the opposite direction when they are self-conscious about the original implication.

Maybe we just need to give Dell credit for both of them and leave it at that. Or, let's be really real and just bow down to Sonya.
    I think both the Curry lads in HS were like 5' 10-11 and 140-150 lbs.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Huge game from RJ tonight against the Hawks and he posterized De'Andre Hunter at the 3 minute mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGtepu05UmA

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Huge game from RJ tonight against the Hawks and he posterized De'Andre Hunter at the 3 minute mark of this video.

Good article from the N.Y. Post. Note the Carter-RJ part. (Our youngsters *were* exciting last night - wish we played the Hawks every night.)

https://nypost.com/2019/12/18/knicks-tantalizing-trio-shows-that-resurrection-is-possible/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

Yes, the Knicks are 3-3 since Fiz got canned. The key ingredient has been the return of PG Elfrid Payton who seems to have catalyzed better ball movement which seems to have energized the squad on both ends.

I was being sarcastic... of course it is too early to give up on a teen who has played less than half of a season of NBA basketball.
    I got the sarcasm part. My point is just that I don’t see anything that distinguishes him from a lot of other guys who are his size and level of athleticism, yet Cam got to be a lottery pick. Just wondering what I’m missing.