Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.
    (a) Your second para. is just the phenomenon of being the "best-known" program. You may hate the duke team, but the Duke fans are really civil compared to other fan bases. Now, the structure of Cameron makes all the fans seem noisier.

(b) You know how horribly obnoxious Maryland and Rutgers fans are compared to the college fans in the rest of the nation? There is no limit to what they will say. I remember when Rutgers played Navy in football, they were wishing the Middies to die in war -- uhh, that's in defending the US of A. Well, they all grow up to be even worse as adults -- and there you have Philly, NY and Boston fans. "Knowledge" has nothing to do with it, if the behavior is so obnoxious. And, in my experience, the level of obnoxiousness is worse there than in other other regions of the country.

But maybe I haven't watched sports in enough cities.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Annoyed
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Annoyed
    They’re just messing with us at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Those knowledgeable, passionate, and committed NYC fans supported their team by booing Daniel Jones at a Yankees game …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp
    First, apologies to Furniture. But, this thread is irretrievably broken, so I'll go back on my word and respond.

I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. I love Jones, I love that he's from Duke, rooting for him, but if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, passionate enough to make that opinion clear, and committed to root for the Giants no matter what happens in the end. Warm and fuzzy, no. But fans, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    (a) Your second para. is just the phenomenon of being the "best-known" program. You may hate the duke team, but the Duke fans are really civil compared to other fan bases. Now, the structure of Cameron makes all the fans seem noisier.

(b) You know how horribly obnoxious Maryland and Rutgers fans are compared to the college fans in the rest of the nation? There is no limit to what they will say. I remember when Rutgers played Navy in football, they were wishing the Middies to die in war -- uhh, that's in defending the US of A. Well, they all grow up to be even worse as adults -- and there you have Philly, NY and Boston fans. "Knowledge" has nothing to do with it, if the behavior is so obnoxious. And, in my experience, the level of obnoxiousness is worse there than in other other regions of the country.

But maybe I haven't watched sports in enough cities.
    Re point #1: then why doesn't everyone hate Villanova? Or Kansas, or the Zags? I think we're ignoring an elephant in the room if we're saying that the only reason other fans hate Duke is because we are well-known. Agree that Duke civility means that behavior is not a reason to hate us, but I can think of several other reasons beyond just being well-known.

And, again, I don't defend boorish behavior a la Maryland, or Philly snowball throwers. But I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.

Re point #1: then why doesn't everyone hate Villanova? Or Kansas, or the Zags? I think we're ignoring an elephant in the room if we're saying that the only reason other fans hate Duke is because we are well-known. Agree that Duke civility means that behavior is not a reason to hate us, but I can think of several other reasons beyond just being well-known.

And, again, I don't defend boorish behavior a la Maryland, or Philly snowball throwers. But I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.
    You said "the most hated college basketball FANS." That's different from "team." Anyway, "most polls" are based on awareness of the options. How many times have we seen the big city glossy mags name the same restaurant as "best" and "most-overrated?" Name recognition is really important -- in basketball it's Duke. Also, chant material: "I hate Duke" is fairly clear; "I hate Kentucky" means exactly what? The state, horse racing, KFC -- not totally clear unless expressly in a hoops context.

I didn't say "all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks." It only takes 5-10 percent. Or maybe one percent?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. ... if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, ...

... I am amazed at the willingness of a purportedly enlightened group to make a blanket generalization that all East Coast fans are obnoxious jerks. That's ridiculous: some of the best fans I know are Easterners who root for (in my circle) the Eagles and Sixers.
    Knowledgeable enough to be led like sheep by the prestigious popular press in NYC? We have different standards of knowledgeable. This supports my claim, many NYC fans claim to be knowledgeable while loudly acting upon the opinions of others.

It is your own "blanket generalization" that proves my point:

... if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them.
    Such a high, unjustified, opinion of themselves = obnoxious.

I probably would have booed him too. I guess that makes me a dillweed. I love Jones, I love that he's from Duke, rooting for him, but if I were a Giants fan, I'd be in the "he's a #6 pick????" camp. They are knowledgeable enough to question the wisdom of the pick, passionate enough to make that opinion clear, and committed to root for the Giants no matter what happens in the end. Warm and fuzzy, no. But fans, yes.
    Boo the front office, the scouts, and the coaches if you think Jones was not a smart pick at #6... but why would you boo the player? The absolute worst thing you could say about Daniel Jones is that he played really well for Duke; had some really good workouts after his Duke career ended; came off as smart and hard-working in interviews; displayed confidence in his own abilities; and had multiple smart football people say good things about him... all of that led to the Giants picking him number 6.

So, please explain to me what aspect of that would lead you to want to boo him?

-Jason "I strongly suspect folks are going to look back on the Jones pick and think it was smart... a decent starting QB is worth a lot more than the #6 pick" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Boo the front office, the scouts, and the coaches if you think Jones was not a smart pick at #6... but why would you boo the player? The absolute worst thing you could say about Daniel Jones is that he played really well for Duke; had some really good workouts after his Duke career ended; came off as smart and hard-working in interviews; displayed confidence in his own abilities; and had multiple smart football people say good things about him... all of that led to the Giants picking him number 6.

-Jason "I strongly suspect folks are going to look back on the Jones pick and think it was smart... a decent starting QB is worth a lot more than the #6 pick" Evans
    Even you Jason? I mean come on. Is it too much for someone to start another thread?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Don't want to get all the way into the weeds, and I don't want to spend more of everyone's time defending boorish behavior. I like Jones, I want him to succeed, and I automatically root for all Dukies in the pros. I'm just saying that if I were as passionate about the Giants as I am about the Devils, and if I felt that Jones was not a great pick, then in the absence of the ability to actually boo the GM, the front office, and the scouts, I might have stooped low enough to boo Jones. I guess I'm just not as evolved as the rest of you when it comes to angelic behavior in the stands (Hey, I am from Philly--maybe it is indeed inborn?). Enough of this, sorry for prolonging this tangential discussion. Lots of East Coast fans are jerks. Lots of East Coast fans are not jerks and are passionate fans of their teams. Maybe we can at least agree about that.

Don't want to get all the way into the weeds, and I don't want to spend more of everyone's time defending boorish behavior. I like Jones, I want him to succeed, and I automatically root for all Dukies in the pros. I'm just saying that if I were as passionate about the Giants as I am about the Devils, and if I felt that Jones was not a great pick, then in the absence of the ability to actually boo the GM, the front office, and the scouts, I might have stooped low enough to boo Jones. I guess I'm just not as evolved as the rest of you when it comes to angelic behavior in the stands (Hey, I am from Philly--maybe it is indeed inborn?). Enough of this, sorry for prolonging this tangential discussion. Lots of East Coast fans are jerks. Lots of East Coast fans are not jerks and are passionate fans of their teams. Maybe we can at least agree about that.
    Yes, I think it's not unreasonable to infer that the fans (few as they may have been) were booing the choice, the GM, the organization, not Jones himself. Anyway, this is the stuff you put up with when you get paid millions to play a sport.

When did Jones make it into the NBA? Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    When did Jones make it into the NBA? Impressive.
    Imagine the booing if the Knicks take him at #3

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Imagine the booing if the Knicks take him at #3
    To be fair, Jones does have good size for an NBA 2.

UM. Here's some actual NBA news...Grayson is now a Grizzly. See DBR front page. Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    UM. Here's some actual NBA news...Grayson is now a Grizzly. See DBR front page. Discuss.
    We've been talking about it for several hours in the NBA Summer Trades/Free Agency thread.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    To be fair, Jones does have good size for an NBA 2.
    According to Daniel Jones, basketball is his favorite sport. And he does have a brother playing hoops at Davidson. But his football skill-set surpassed his basketball skill set. And it seems to have worked out for him.

And maybe it's just me but the only reason I can think of for booing an athlete is if they are deliberately trying to injure someone.

As always, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    According to Daniel Jones, basketball is his favorite sport. And he does have a brother playing hoops at Davidson. But his football skill-set surpassed his basketball skill set. And it seems to have worked out for him.

And maybe it's just me but the only reason I can think of for booing an athlete is if they are deliberately trying to injure someone.

As always, YMMV.
    Jay Bilas--his son was DJ's teammate and DJ apparently dominated at Bilas' camp with a broken wrist--said DJ was good enough at basketball to make Duke's team if he wanted to. As I'm sure Bilas would be sure to remind us all, he's never wrong.

We've been talking about it for several hours in the NBA Summer Trades/Free Agency thread.
    Why we need is for a Duke player to get traded for the #1 or #3 pick. Then we can discuss it in all three of our NBA threads!

The Pelicans are picking up Jah’s option for next season:

Pelicans are picking up Jahlil Okafor’s team option for the 2019-2020 season, league sources tell ESPN. The New Orleans staff is impressed by the way Okafor has reworked his body and the improvements he’s made on the defensive end of the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    He gets $1.7 mil... good money for you and me, but basically just the veteran minimum for a NBA player. Whew, the market on him was truly awful for him to have signed this contract.

-Jason "Jah will be an unrestricted free agent after this coming season, which is a little bit better than his fellow class of 2015 guys who were restricted free agents" Evans