Page 43 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Small sample size (13 games) for his NBA career. Hopefully, Cam will slowly but surely start to improve all aspects of his game as the year goes on.

His results thus far are what should have been expected. He’s playing almost exactly the way he did at Duke just eight short months ago. Only now he is going against much tougher competition and the 3-point line is further out. None of this should be surprising or disappointing. We’re still supporting you, Cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Small sample size (13 games) for his NBA career. Hopefully, Cam will slowly but surely start to improve all aspects of his game as the year goes on.

His results thus far are what should have been expected. He’s playing almost exactly the way he did at Duke just eight short months ago. Only now he is going against much tougher competition and the 3-point line is further out. None of this should be surprising or disappointing. We’re still supporting you, Cam.
    "farther"

Cam isn't playing exactly the same way as he played at Duke: shooting 27% and 19% from 3 with Atlanta, versus 40% and 33% respectively at Duke.

Obviously Cam's first month in the NBA is not what is expected of a lottery pick and is surprising, considering it looked like Cam was past some of the injuries he dealt with late high school and at Duke. Eight months is a long time when you're talking about healing broken ribs and the development of a very young basketball player.

Not disappointing??? I would think most around DBR are disappointed that Cam isn't having an awesome rookie year.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    "farther"

Cam isn't playing exactly the same way as he played at Duke: shooting 27% and 19% from 3 with Atlanta, versus 40% and 33% respectively at Duke.
    First of all, the correction from further to farther is odd and not really necessary as this is not a grammar class.

Second, I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that Cam is now going against much tougher competition and the 3-point line is FARTHER out. Wouldn’t you expect his numbers to be lower in the NBA if he is playing exactly the same way he did at Duke? Seems pretty logical to me.

But thank you, nonetheless, for the nitpicking!

Are people really surprised that Cam is struggling? He struggled a fair amount at Duke, too. He obviously has an NBA body and some skills, but I never would have expected easy sailing for him the first year or two. Obviously he has major potential.

First of all, the correction from further to farther is odd and not really necessary as this is not a grammar class.

Second, I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that Cam is now going against much tougher competition and the 3-point line is FARTHER out. Wouldn’t you expect his numbers to be lower in the NBA if he is playing exactly the same way he did at Duke? Seems pretty logical to me.

But thank you, nonetheless, for the nitpicking!
    So, due to tougher conditions, he's now under-performing at an NBA level, versus at a collegiate level last year? Got it.

So, due to tougher conditions, he's now under-performing at an NBA level, versus at a collegiate level last year? Got it.
    What was the point of this post? You just felt the need to disrespect a fellow DBR poster? Or was there more to it than that?

What was the point of this post? You just felt the need to disrespect a fellow DBR poster? Or was there more to it than that?
    Wow. That's a pretty low bar for feeling disrespected.

Wow. That's a pretty low bar for feeling disrespected.
    No, it isn’t. It’s obvious you were mocking me. That’s disrespectful in my book. Especially on DBR, which is supposed to always stay way above the level of Inside Carolina.
    I beseech you to take this colloquy off-line.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

No, it isn’t. It’s obvious you were mocking me. That’s disrespectful in my book. Especially on DBR, which is supposed to always stay way above the level of Inside Carolina.
    Lighten up, let it go. You have your perspective, others have theirs. My perspective is that you're taking this far too personally, and are not responding well to people not agreeing with you. You took the bait and didn't like the riposte. And no, it was not obvious that anyone was mocking you. Disagreeing yes, mocking no.

*yawn*

Any word on Zion?

It’s already over. No worries.

Has anyone heard when Grayson Allen will be healed from his injury and ready to play?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Lighten up, let it go. You have your perspective, others have theirs. My perspective is that you're taking this far too personally, and are not responding well to people not agreeing with you. You took the bait and didn't like the riposte. And no, it was not obvious that anyone was mocking you. Disagreeing yes, mocking no.
    While I respect your OPINION, I don’t agree with it. But I’m not going to point out the reasons why, as too much has been said already.

I just want to know how Grayson is doing. If anyone has an update I would really appreciate it.

Change subject to Cam

https://giphy.com/gifs/dZdV5HFXK8lkjwtoeC

Cam ridiculed a bit for inability to drive and finish at rim.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    https://giphy.com/gifs/dZdV5HFXK8lkjwtoeC

Cam ridiculed a bit for inability to drive and finish at rim.
    Anyone surprised at Cam's handle problems must not have watched him much last year. Clearly an area of his game which requires abundant work...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Anyone surprised at Cam's handle problems must not have watched him much last year. Clearly an area of his game which requires abundant work...
    while i agree with you completely, what's being "ridiculed" in that clip is not his handle, but his lack of finishing ability, which on that play was poor. Kudos to the defender for deftly preventing a layup by getting the ball.
    All in all, Cam has not performed well at all so far, nor has his underperformance just been the same as it was at Duke, adjusted for a longer 3pt line and bigger players. His offensive output has been staggeringly bad, but otherwise he's rather well-rounded, and not bad at other facets of the game. I suppose his rebounding numbers are pretty light for a SF, but maybe not so bad on a per-minute basis, idk. It's far too early to buy into the hot-takes of doom for Cam, but it's fair to say that he hasn't played well so far.

^ can't argue with that...though I guess perhaps I consider finishing to be a subset of handling...

This is DBR, where there is a longstanding tradition of correct spelling and sound grammar, and further tradition of pointing out misspellings and poor grammar.

Not logical. There are many examples of players who are great pros but were only fair in college. Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler come to mind. I mean, no, it's just not logical to think that college success or lack thereof will transfer directly into NBA performance. That's why the NBA draft is so crazy and fun!
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

This is DBR, where there is a longstanding tradition of correct spelling and sound grammar, and further tradition of pointing out misspellings and poor grammar.

Not logical. There are many examples of players who are great pros but were only fair in college. Kyle Lowry and Jimmy Butler come to mind. I mean, no, it's just not logical to think that college success or lack thereof will transfer directly into NBA performance. That's why the NBA draft is so crazy and fun!
    You misunderstood his statement if you want to talk about logic. He said that you should expect his play to be worse if he was playing at the same level at which he played in college. This does make sense. If you have not improved but face tougher competition and a longer 3-point line, then you should expect worse results. He made no comment about how Cam's play will translate into NBA performance now or in the future. In fact, he was fairly supportive of Cam's ability to improve in his initial post.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I beseech you to take this colloquy off-line.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    Beesecheth thou in vain, I pray not.

"farther"

An antiquated distinction. It used to bother me greatly, but "further" now also means "more distant." Now I silently cringe and bear it.