Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
    Jason Tatum hit the winning basket, a contested jumper from the corner, with 1.4 seconds left as the Celtics beat the Knicks 104-102. Tatum had 25 points.

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    Jason Tatum hit the winning basket, a contested jumper from the corner, with 1.4 seconds left as the Celtics beat the Knicks 104-102. Tatum had 25 points.
    You didn’t mention the hapless defender, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    You didn’t mention the hapless defender, for some reason.
    Seriously. Welcome to the NBA, RJ. He's had two shots - one this game winner, the other a clutch 3 with 8 second to go - over him in his first 5 NBA games...and BOTH have been by former Duke players. It's a brotherhood and you will be hazed!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Seriously. Welcome to the NBA, RJ. He's had two shots - one this game winner, the other a clutch 3 with 8 second to go - over him in his first 5 NBA games...and BOTH have been by former Duke players. It's a brotherhood and you will be hazed!
    From my view of the shots, RJ was in good defensive position on both. They were just well executed by Kyrie and then Tatum.

Every single night nearly every NBA box score has at least one and often several more Duke alums lighting up the scoreboard. And Zion hasn’t even seen the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    In a small sample, Ingram has improved his FT% by about 10 points and is shooting 50% from 3 on over six attempts a game. The 50% will obviously decrease, but if he maintains 38% on good volume from three and maintains his FT%, I smell max contract incoming since he's so young (just turned 22 in Sept) and because the free agent market will be so weak in 2020.

Not sure it will be with the Pelicans, though.
    The Pelicans would be insane not to give him a max. Thats just such an easy decision.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

"And let us not be weary in well doing:

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

I'm not a biblical scholar or anything, but I think this means that if RJ hangs in there, then by the end of the season he'll be blocking those shots at the buzzer.

Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    The Pelicans would be insane not to give him a max. Thats just such an easy decision.
    Let’s not forget Ingram averaged over 27 ppg after the all-star break last year. Can’t wait to see the Pelicans with Zion!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Let’s not forget Ingram averaged over 27 ppg after the all-star break last year. Can’t wait to see the Pelicans with Zion!
    Exactly! He has been great, people just expect everyone to come out nowadays and average 20ppg. Heck Lonzo has been awesome since day 1 as well and I was a huge skeptic of his. Both have been unfortunate enough to suffer injuries and deal with the mess that was in LA. I think NOLA should prioritize both of them and Zion. Let Jrue walk at the end of his contract or trade him a year early.

His (Ingram) current trajectory is very similar to PG13 but a little more efficient.
    Last edited by JNort; 11-02-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Jahlil is off to another good game. 15 and 9 in the 3rd quarter so far. 15 leads the team in scoring at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Exactly! He has been great, people just expect everyone to come out nowadays and average 20ppg. Heck Lonzo has been awesome since day 1 as well and I was a huge skeptic of his. Both have been unfortunate enough to suffer injuries and deal with the mess that was in LA. I think NOLA should prioritize both of them and Zion. Let Jrue walk at the end of his contract or trade him a year early.

His (Ingram) current trajectory is very similar to PG13 but a little more efficient.
    I'm starting to come around a bit on this but it's definitely not because I want Duke South to build a big three of Zion, Brandon, and Lonzo* (ha!) or because I think Brandon is going to be a more efficient Paul George (haha!). I think the key is just that if the Pels are going to eventually trade for a star (which is increasingly how business seems to get done these days), they'll need tradeable big contracts around to make the trade. Even if Brandon's numbers decline from where he's at now both this season (return to mean) and next season (when he won't be playing the 4 as much), he might still be tradeable at his max (25% of cap) given his age.

* I'm a fan of BI and Lonzo, and I would agree that Lonzo is underrated, but I'm just hoping Nawlins can build something better around Zion.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm starting to come around a bit on this but it's definitely not because I want Duke South to build a big three of Zion, Brandon, and Lonzo* (ha!) or because I think Brandon is going to be a more efficient Paul George (haha!). I think the key is just that if the Pels are going to eventually trade for a star (which is increasingly how business seems to get done these days), they'll need tradeable big contracts around to make the trade. Even if Brandon's numbers decline from where he's at now both this season (return to mean) and next season (when he won't be playing the 4 as much), he might still be tradeable at his max (25% of cap) given his age.

* I'm a fan of BI and Lonzo, and I would agree that Lonzo is underrated, but I'm just hoping Nawlins can build something better around Zion.
    I think we just view his talent level differently. Ingram will be a top 25 player no doubt. I wouldn't trade that.

Why Ingram only 13 min today?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Why Ingram only 13 min today?
    Twitter says head injury that occurred in the 2nd quarter. He didn't play at all in the 2nd half.

No further info out there yet
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

I was off marching thru the mountain wonderland of Chachapoyas, Peru over the weekend so i didn't get to chime in on time, but i am SOOOOOOO happy that Amile got a legit contract withe Magic! Dude had nothing left to prove in the G-League and acquitted himself well in his limited time last year, so it just made sense for him to be in the big time. As mentioned by others, his efficiency stats so far are amazing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    I was off marching thru the mountain wonderland of Chachapoyas, Peru over the weekend so i didn't get to chime in on time, but i am SOOOOOOO happy that Amile got a legit contract withe Magic! Dude had nothing left to prove in the G-League and acquitted himself well in his limited time last year, so it just made sense for him to be in the big time. As mentioned by others, his efficiency stats so far are amazing!!!
    Here is a nice article from a fansite dedicated to the Magic that really sings Amile's praises, but also makes it clear that he will not see much playing time at all.

Jefferson has certainly earned a full roster spot and a shot somewhere in the NBA. The Magic are probably not the team to give him that opportunity. And, even with a full contract, Jefferson could still see some time in the G-League with Lakeland.

This is certainly a reward for Jefferson’s hard work. And he provides another big body — and a more traditional power forward — for practice at the very least.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

No thread on Amile's contract?

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2019/1...-requirements/

He signed a contract with Orlando Magic three days ago. This is sort of big news and I expected an article on the front page of DBR.

The Orlando Magic have signed forward Amile Jefferson to a two-year contract, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. The team confirmed the move in a press release Friday night.
    Amile is now a millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Amile is now a millionaire.
    Well, he needs to play a couple months for that to be true. His contract is not guaranteed and he can be cut at any time without any further compensation. The key date to watch for him is January 10th. If he stays on the roster through Jan 10 then, by CBA rules, his contract will become fully guaranteed for the 2019-20 season.

By the way, it is worth noting that the paltry 12 games that Amile played with Orlando at the end of last season was pretty darn significant. It means that he is treated as a player with 1 year of experience, not a rookie. As a result, rather than making the rookie minimum of $898,310, he will instead make the 1-year vet minimum of $1,445,697. That $550k jump from rook to 1-year-vet is a huge salary increase. By comparison, the jump in minimum salary for a 2-year-vet versus a 1-year-vet is just $180k ($1,620,564).

-Jason "anyway, if he makes it to Jan 10 then Amile will indeed be a millionaire. Not too shabby!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Being pedantic

Isn't a millionaire one who has $1 million in net worth and not someone who has a salary of $1 million or more?

The NBA TV (or YES Network for those in the NYC area) matchup tonight is a good one for the Dukies in the NBA thread: Kyrie and the Nets taking on the Duke South Pels (from all I've seen, Brandon Ingram should be back tonight after a concussion scare). Tough start for both groups so far. Here's a quick rundown on what I've seen from the Pels' Duke crew so far in my new role as an honorary superfan:

Injuries have really hurt New Orleans, from Zion's meniscus tear to minor injuries that have held Derrick Favors, Jrue Holiday, and Ingram out of a game or three each, and Favors and Holiday have looked really limited when they've played. But the problems have been deeper than that for the Pels: the defense has been DREADFUL, particularly when Derrick Favors and Holiday have been out (Favors is a classic example of a really good position defender who, when injured, can look ground-bound, slow, and even disinterested, but when you check the numbers, the defense is just HUGELY better whenever he's on the floor).

They've also been hurting for a more consistent creator to run the offense. Ingram has been pretty sensational thus far, but he's been better when playing off the ball as a finisher/secondary creator rather than having to direct traffic and get the offense into gear. Lonzo Ball has been good in spots but inconsistent, and, as was the case in LA, his lack of half-court driving ability can hurt them. As mentioned above, Holiday has looked like a shadow of last year's dominant ball-hawk; he's pretty clearly not fully healthy.

All of this has opened the door for a couple of Duke guys to make a mark: Big Jah Okafor has been tough in a growing role so far and Frank Jackson has been a much-needed spark off the bench with his offensive fearlessness and shotmaking. Okafor's been better than ever defensively. Honestly, Favors is a pretty fantastic role model for him on D; he's never going to be the athlete Favors is, but he's got similar length and Favors' best trait defensively has always been his ability to wall up and be massive at the rim with perfect timing. If Okafor can pick even some of that up, he's going to be an NBA starter again.

Jackson's big knock is the same as it's always been: can he do more than score? He's been better playing as a part of the offense so far, but he's not taking on a big creator-for-others burden yet. That's the big next step for him.

Anyway, should be a fun game, and well worth a watch, despite the somewhat misleadingly dismal records of the two teams. The Pels are fascinating (as long as they try on D, unlike in their disaster show against the Warriors) as they try to figure it out, and Kyrie is quite possibly the most enjoyable player to watch in the NBA when he's not in a bad headspace.