Page 3 of 99 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't know who Zolak is, but I'm going to assume he's a dillweed*.

Immature? Tatum isn't married to Boston, he just plays there. He wasn't forced to give up his previous hometowns when he was drafted. Will it be an issue if he wears Duke gear to a Duke-BC game? Good grief. I like the Celtics (even outside of the Duke ties, I liked them when they had KG/Rondo/Pierce too), but Boston is one of my absolute least favorite sports cities due to their media personalities and fans.

Ok, a brief google search plus the above quote leaves me about 90% sure I'm right about that. Former Patriot? Make that 95%.
    Expanding my vocabulary today!

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
    2) New York sports fan;
    3) Philadelphia sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
    Beavis and Butt-head

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
    2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
    Beavis and Butt-head
    I couldn't fully explain how that word came to me...I don't think I've ever actually used it. I was having trouble coming up with a word that wouldn't set off the filters and suddenly it just popped in my head and I figured "yeah that works".

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ils-132829623/

Some interesting comments from Marques that although next years Duke roster was not the sole deciding factor for him to go pro it was something he thought about.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
    2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
    Beavis and Butt-head

the term around my locale is dinkweed*, not dillweed...Tatum's "indiscretion" seems ludicrously petty...if they want to complain about a Duke guy, let them complain about Kyrie...I had such huge hopes for him in Boston, loved the way the season started for him, and then he alienated everyone within a 100 mile radius of Beantown...painful display of dinkweeditude...

*Ha just checked it out in the Urban Dictionary, and they credit the Beantown area for popularizing the term decades ago, so there!

Dillweed

adj.

1) Boston sports fan;
    2) New York sports fan;

Origin

Late 20th C.
    Beavis and Butt-head
    Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.
    Santa will never get hit with a snowball at a Lakers game.

You want passion and commitment? Come to the Midwest, Packer fans, Bear fans, and Steeler fans are at least the equal of any other - they brave conditions never imagined on the coast. Seahawk fans are in the discussion, with Chief fans up there as well. Raider fans have a fair claim too - they follow the team to LA and Las Vegas.

Knowledge? That is just East Coast arrogance, common in the 3 metro areas (one continuous metro area?). Mostly, they just talk a lot and pretend they are smart. Not the same as knowledge.

Please don't compare Duke fans to northern East Coast "fans," it's insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Zion, The Oak, Jackson and Ingram...looks like I will be rooting for the Pelicans...
    This got me thinking about which NBA team current or past has had the most number of players from the same college at one time. Four from the same university seems like it might be up there. I poked around the googles to see if such a list had been compiled but didn't find anything other than aggregate numbers of school alumni in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

You want passion and commitment? Come to the Midwest, Packer fans, Bear fans, and Steeler fans are at least the equal of any other - they brave conditions never imagined on the coast. Seahawk fans are in the discussion, with Chief fans up there as well. Raider fans have a fair claim too - they follow the team to LA and Las Vegas.

Knowledge? That is just East Coast arrogance, common in the 3 metro areas (one continuous metro area?). Mostly, they just talk a lot and pretend they are smart. Not the same as knowledge.

Wow, lots of generalizations! ALL East Coast fans are ignorant and arrogant

Totally agree there are many passionate fanbases out there. But first, note that I'm talking geography, not team loyalty. So, for my discussion, Raiders fans in LA don't count as Vegas fans. And, I'm talking about all sports, not just the NFL. So, for example, Seattle gets credit for awesome Seahawk fans. But Sonics fans, not so much. We can debate whether lack of funding for a new stadium is equivalent to weak fan support, but at the very least, the hoops fanbase in Seattle was unable to even keep a team in town. In contrast, for example, Boston--with roughly the same population as Seattle--can claim the Red Sox, Bruins, Pats, and Celts fanbases, all at the top of the list in each respective sport.

As for the Duke comparison, there are plenty of "dillweeds" in these East Coast towns, unlike the Duke fanbase. But, citing my best insider source in the NBA, JJ Redick is emphatic that the Philly fanbase is the most supportive and engaged in the NBA. And he played four years in Cameron!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    This got me thinking about which NBA team current or past has had the most number of players from the same college at one time. Four from the same university seems like it might be up there. I poked around the googles to see if such a list had been compiled but didn't find anything other than aggregate numbers of school alumni in the NBA.

Denver has 3 Kentucky players ( Murray, Lyles and Vanderbilt).
    Portland has 3 Duke players ( Hood, Curry and Trent).
    Sacramento has 3 kentucky players ( Cauley-Stein, Fox and two-way affiliate player Gabriel)
    Oklahoma City has 3 kentucky players ( Diallo, Noel, and Patterson).
    *New Orleans had 3 kentucky players on their roster before trading Davis ( Davis, Miller, and Randle).

If New Orleans drafts Zion, they will likely lead this list going into next season with 4 Duke players(Zion, Okafor, Jackson and Ingram) but who knows what will happen between now and the season opener.
    Last edited by subzero02; 06-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Totally agree there are many passionate fanbases out there. But first, note that I'm talking geography, not team loyalty. So, for my discussion, Raiders fans in LA don't count as Vegas fans. And, I'm talking about all sports, not just the NFL. So, for example, Seattle gets credit for awesome Seahawk fans. But Sonics fans, not so much. We can debate whether lack of funding for a new stadium is equivalent to weak fan support, but at the very least, the hoops fanbase in Seattle was unable to even keep a team in town. In contrast, for example, Boston--with roughly the same population as Seattle--can claim the Red Sox, Bruins, Pats, and Celts fanbases, all at the top of the list in each respective sport.

As for the Duke comparison, there are plenty of "dillweeds" in these East Coast towns, unlike the Duke fanbase. But, citing my best insider source in the NBA, JJ Redick is emphatic that the Philly fanbase is the most supportive and engaged in the NBA. And he played four years in Cameron!
    As someone who lived many years in Seattle, they were/are MASSIVE Sonics fans. They are still salty over the sale of the team and move to OKC. Did you perhaps mean Mariners? Because I would agree with you, though the team hasn't been exciting since Ichiro's arrival (fhe first time).

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Wow! That is both insulting and arrogant. I am always amazed how my friends and colleagues who are either Giants or Jets fans can talk with great awareness of the players on other teams around the league. And, what makes it even more amazing is that in a place like NYC. or Boston. there is so much else to do, between museums, concerts, plays etc., that we all still manage to pay close and careful attention to our local teams and their competition.

Some thread hijacking going on....
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Denver has 3 Kentucky players ( Murray, Lyles and Vanderbilt).
    Portland has 3 Duke players ( Hood, Curry and Trent).
    Sacramento has 3 kentucky players ( Cauley-Stein, Fox and two-way affiliate player Gabriel)
    Oklahoma City has 3 kentucky players ( Diallo, Noel, and Patterson).
    *New Orleans had 3 kentucky players on their roster before trading Davis ( Davis, Miller, and Randle).

If New Orleans drafts Zion, they will likely lead this list going into next season with 4 Duke players(Zion, Okafor, Jackson and Ingram) but who knows what will happen between now and the season opener.
    "You must spread some Comments around before commenting on subzero02 again."

Thanks for doing some research! Agree, long way until the season starts but would be fun if 4 Duke players ended up on the same team. Give me a good reason for a trip to NO to eat some creole, slurp some heads out of crawfish and watch some ball.

The 1949 Indianapolis Olympians had four former Kentucky players, Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, Cliff Barker and Wallace Jones.

It's probably a coincidence that the franchise folded a few years later.

Bad example. Actually, population of Greater Boston area is over 3M more than population of Greater Seattle area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Bad example. Actually, population of Greater Boston area is over 3M more than population of Greater Seattle area.
    Boston 10th largest MSA - 4.8 million
    Seattle 15th largest MSA - 3.9 million

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Boston 10th largest MSA - 4.8 million
    Seattle 15th largest MSA - 3.9 million
    Combined Statistical Areas (new concept):

Boston-Worcester-Providence MA-RI-CT-NH -- 8,285,407

Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia -- 4,199,213
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

It would awesome if NO somehow drafts Cam or RJ then uses this lineup

Oak
    Zion
    Ingram
    RJ / Cam
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post

Oak
    Zion
    Ingram
    RJ / Cam
    Frank
    Frank won't be starting ahead of Lonzo.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post

Oak
    Zion
    Ingram
    RJ / Cam
    Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Frank won't be starting ahead of Lonzo.
    Maybe the 5 won't start... but would be cool if at some point in some games, this lineup is out there on the court.