Page 23 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Godspeed Matt

https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/s...72981983186945

who doesn’t love this kid and wish him everything....
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Some fun NBA content today, as the ever-amusing and typically inaccurate Rookie Survey came out (in two parts thus far: https://www.nba.com/2019-20-nba-rookie-survey and https://www.nba.com/2019-20-rookie-survey-film-study).

The survey showed that the rookies have a lot of confidence in this Duke draft class: Zion got 35% of the vote for most likely Rookie of the Year, while RJ and Cam tied for third with 5% of the vote each. (NB: the only RoY award the rookies have gotten right on the survey since 2007 is Kevin Durant...)

Interestingly, Reddish won the "will have the best career" vote with 19%, with Zion and RJ tying for fourth at 5% each. Cool to see that Cam has that much full support from his peers, as that's not always the sense that one gets from, say, NBA draft board makers. (Cool nugget from the article: "This is the sixth straight year that a Duke player has earned (or tied for) the most votes on this question, with Reddish joining Jabari Parker (2014), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Brandon Ingram (2016), Jayson Tatum (2017) and [Wendell] Carter.")

Unsurprisingly, Zion dominated the "most athletic" category: 87% of the vote (Brandon Clarke, who came in second, is a complete freak of nature himself, but come on, rookie voters).

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Some fun NBA content today, as the ever-amusing and typically inaccurate Rookie Survey came out (in two parts thus far: https://www.nba.com/2019-20-nba-rookie-survey and https://www.nba.com/2019-20-rookie-survey-film-study).

The survey showed that the rookies have a lot of confidence in this Duke draft class: Zion got 35% of the vote for most likely Rookie of the Year, while RJ and Cam tied for third with 5% of the vote each. (NB: the only RoY award the rookies have gotten right on the survey since 2007 is Kevin Durant...)

Interestingly, Reddish won the "will have the best career" vote with 19%, with Zion and RJ tying for fourth at 5% each. Cool to see that Cam has that much full support from his peers, as that's not always the sense that one gets from, say, NBA draft board makers. (Cool nugget from the article: "This is the sixth straight year that a Duke player has earned (or tied for) the most votes on this question, with Reddish joining Jabari Parker (2014), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Brandon Ingram (2016), Jayson Tatum (2017) and [Wendell] Carter.")

Unsurprisingly, Zion dominated the "most athletic" category: 87% of the vote (Brandon Clarke, who came in second, is a complete freak of nature himself, but come on, rookie voters).
    Fun stuff, thanks for sharing! Interesting that Cam won the 'best career' vote but didn't get much love in places I'd expect like the 'best shooter' category. If I were to measure out a prototypical player in today's NBA, he'd sure look an awful lot like Cam so maybe that's it. Equally interesting that Zion didn't place higher in the 'best career' category. If 'best career' is measured by $-earned, he may have already carved out the number 1 spot on endorsement deals alone!

Happy to see Carsen Edwards get some love. I think he was underrated coming out and is going to carve out a nice career in the league. Guy can ball...

Interestingly, Reddish won the "will have the best career" vote with 19%, with Zion and RJ tying for fourth at 5% each... (Cool nugget from the article: "This is the sixth straight year that a Duke player has earned (or tied for) the most votes on this question, with Reddish joining Jabari Parker (2014), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Brandon Ingram (2016), Jayson Tatum (2017) and [Wendell] Carter.")
    Well if these millionaire rookies want to give me 3.8 to 1 odds on Cam versus Zion for best career, I can make that longterm investment, and will, today. It's too early to say for sure, but I don't think the votes in 14,15,16 and 17 have a chance to produce more than one correct answer for best career....

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Fun stuff, thanks for sharing! Interesting that Cam won the 'best career' vote but didn't get much love in places I'd expect like the 'best shooter' category. If I were to measure out a prototypical player in today's NBA, he'd sure look an awful lot like Cam so maybe that's it. Equally interesting that Zion didn't place higher in the 'best career' category. If 'best career' is measured by $-earned, he may have already carved out the number 1 spot on endorsement deals alone!

Happy to see Carsen Edwards get some love. I think he was underrated coming out and is going to carve out a nice career in the league. Guy can ball...
    I wonder if this is Cam still riding his high school reputation or if he was injured last year. Physically, he’s got the tools. He’s a good shooter and a good defender. But he was clearly third banana on Duke, both in terms of productivity and potential. Interesting that his peers still put him so high...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I wonder if this is Cam still riding his high school reputation or if he was injured last year. Physically, he’s got the tools. He’s a good shooter and a good defender. But he was clearly third banana on Duke, both in terms of productivity and potential. Interesting that his peers still put him so high...
    Last season I felt that he was behind Zion but ahead of RJ in terms of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    In physical maturity and confidence level he was an 18 YO and RJ and Zion were 21+. Who knows how good Cam will be in five years? I would bet on the known quantities.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well if these millionaire rookies want to give me 3.8 to 1 odds on Cam versus Zion for best career, I can make that longterm investment, and will, today. It's too early to say for sure, but I don't think the votes in 14,15,16 and 17 have a chance to produce more than one correct answer for best career...
    Would that be a "pie" bet? Not with me though. GoDuke!

Bilas just said Cam Reddish checked out of a few Duke games last year.I cant recall more than 1 game he was out.Can someone remember this or is this Bilas being Bilas?

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    Bilas just said Cam Reddish checked out of a few Duke games last year.I cant recall more than 1 game he was out.Can someone remember this or is this Bilas being Bilas?
    Maybe Bilas means "checked out," not "didn't play."

Well he missed the VT Sweet Sixteen game as well as Syracuse. I’m guessing Bilas meant games he played but seemed less than fully engaged.

It sounds like the morning know it alls on tv are painting Cam as passive now that he was voted to succeed in the NBA.It just sounds really bad coming from Bilas.Does anyone else feel that Cam wasn't all in last year?I just missed it somehow.

That is extremely bizarre that a Duke player has won this vote 6 years in a row. Since the rookies rarely get these votes correct, I wonder what it says about the Duke brand? Do we think the popular perception among rookies is that K holds these guys back and once they get to the league, they'll be able to show their "full games"? That certainly seems like what the Reddish and Carter votes were driven by. Maybe these are just guys that everyone likes?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    That is extremely bizarre that a Duke player has won this vote 6 years in a row. Since the rookies rarely get these votes correct, I wonder what it says about the Duke brand? Do we think the popular perception among rookies is that K holds these guys back and once they get to the league, they'll be able to show their "full games"? That certainly seems like what the Reddish and Carter votes were driven by. Maybe these are just guys that everyone likes?
    Parker and Tatum are not surprises. Okafor (over Towns) and Ingram (over Simmons) are a little odd. Carter and Reddish are just bizarre choices. Not only were more talented and more hyped players picked ahead of them in their drafts, those players included their own Duke teammates (Bagley, Zion, RJ). It's hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Parker and Tatum are not surprises. Okafor (over Towns) and Ingram (over Simmons) are a little odd. Carter and Reddish are just bizarre choices. Not only were more talented and more hyped players picked ahead of them in their drafts, those players included their own Duke teammates (Bagley, Zion, RJ). It's hard to explain.
    Maybe these rookies are basing their vote off of their experience playing against Cam in AAU and High School. Cam played multiple positions in AAU (including point guard) and often dominated games. I've stated my opinion here several times that I believe Cam has a legit chance of being the best of our three freshman that enter the league this year. I really think his game is perfect for the modern NBA. Also, I have strong concern that RJ's high usage and low efficiency game will not translate well. Zion should be very good and maybe great, but I believe that he need to develops a respectable jumper. In his limited play in summer league, there was one particular play that I found troubling. He was being guarded by a big. The defender gave him probably five feet and dared him to shoot the NBA three. Zion took the shot. The shot was so slow and the release point so low that the defender was able to close 5 feet of space and still block it.

If Cam can get his confidence and health back, he could be really good.

It sounds like the morning know it alls on tv are painting Cam as passive now that he was voted to succeed in the NBA.It just sounds really bad coming from Bilas.Does anyone else feel that Cam wasn't all in last year?I just missed it somehow.
    Bilas is simply repeating a meme that Cam had from high school - that he doesn't always give 100%. Based on his year at Duke, I think it's total BS. Even when Cam struggled on offense, his effort was always there, especially on D.

Guys may recall I've been fairly critical of Cam's offensive skills, so I'm not just saying this as a Cam booster.

Thank you guys for the feedback.Im from the ATL and I'm looking forward to watching Cam develop w the Hawks.

Everyone looks good over the summer, including in this video of Jahlil Okafor working on his handle and scoring on the perimeter. He even gets a few baskets over former teammate Anthony Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Everyone looks good over the summer, including in this video of Jahlil Okafor working on his handle and scoring on the perimeter. He even gets a few baskets over former teammate Anthony Davis.
    He’s really transformed his body and just looks more agile and light on his feet. Hope it translates to more success on the court.