Page 13 of 99 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    His family may not be getting the warm Brooklyn Heights welcome they were accustomed to last year: https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/grace...-brooklyn.html
    This reads like the plot of Big Little Lies Brooklyn. It just has a Saarsgard instead of a Skarsgard...

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Amile does not have enough experience in the league to no longer be eligible to have a two-way contract so I believe that his qualifying offer is just another two-way contract.
    You are correct. I didn't realize that qualifying offers could be tendered for 2 way contracts. It appears that Orlando wants to keep him as a 2 way player for 2019-20

I came across this Hoops Rumors website that lists all the 2 way contracts for 2019-20 for each team. Noticed that Kyle Guy just signed a 2 way with Sacramento. Good place to check where Duval, and possibly Bolden, might end up
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, it was not Otto Porter that they traded. What they traded was the $55 mill in 2020 and 2021 that was owed to Otto Porter. They could not have given that away for free if they had tried.
    The Porter trade was fine - Ernie putting out his own fires again. Giving up on Kelly Oubre, a 23 yo RFA with some upside, for a half season of Trevor Ariza is hard to understand

Still no decision from the Wolves regarding matching Tyus's offer from Memphis, but his agent tends to think he's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Back in my day, we walked to school and back at age three. Delivering newspapers on the way there, and either shoveling driveways or mowing lawns on the way home ...
    And I had two stops for carrying hods of brick on the way home. I was always hungry for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    His family may not be getting the warm Brooklyn Heights welcome they were accustomed to last year: https://www.thecut.com/2019/07/grace...-brooklyn.html
    Firstly, it sounds like all these people pretty much deserve each other (except, I suppose, the kids), and I'll leave it at that. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the way Chelsea acted (it was probably inappropriate that she was in a position to do some of those things, but that is on the director for opening those doors) other than that the Redicks appear to have terrible taste in home decor.

Possibly more importantly: the article leans pretty hard on not understanding the phrase "crushed it". Are these people 80 years old? Not a phrase I would expect pre-school age parents to struggle with, and the author certainly seemed to be nodding along in a "yeah, what a weird phrase" kind of way...are they also unfamiliar with groovy or dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Firstly, it sounds like all these people pretty much deserve each other (except, I suppose, the kids), and I'll leave it at that. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the way Chelsea acted (it was probably inappropriate that she was in a position to do some of those things, but that is on the director for opening those doors) other than that the Redicks appear to have terrible taste in home decor.

Possibly more importantly: the article leans pretty hard on not understanding the phrase "crushed it". Are these people 80 years old? Not a phrase I would expect pre-school age parents to struggle with, and the author certainly seemed to be nodding along in a "yeah, what a weird phrase" kind of way...are they also unfamiliar with groovy or dude?
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don't think it reflects well on her. It sounds like the bulk of the blame is on the school director for constantly trying to be Chelsea's BFF, but Chelsea comes across as extremely tone deaf and gauche(though she does not appear to be the only one).

I live in NYC with two young kids and know many people who live in this world. The drama involved in nursery schools is unbelievable. Meanwhile, the blocks and crayons they play with are identical to the ones used anywhere else in the world.
    I know this thread is not about this niche topic, but it is not everyday that the clash between old money and new money ties into Duke Basketball so neatly (then again, I know nothing about Iron Dukes where this may be an everyday concern). CrazyNotCrazie hit it on the head, she broke all the unwritten rules of decency...she was like Countess Ellen Olenska in Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" and got shunned by rigid and proper New York Society. Had she been a little younger, she'd have seen Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" and she could have avoided her various faux pas...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUetRoY8s9s
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 07-09-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Another Hawks fan here, chiming in. I think it's really the player option that is throwing Hawks fans for a loop. While ATL has bigger needs than an offense-first backup PF (I have a lot of faith in our young players on offense, but we need defenders), gambling on Jabari one a one year deal to be fully healthy and maybe a little hungry to rehabilitate his career is not a bad move, at all. If he plays well and the team still isn't great, the Hawks can try to deal him for some more assets at the deadline while making the on-court product a little more fun while he's playing. Alternatively, he could play well on offense, the Hawks can keep him all year, the team can go all season losing games 125-135, and then we get another shot at the top of the lottery to add a big piece when the team should be ready to start contending.

Adding the player option seems really risky, to me. There is a good chance he won't get any better offers unless he makes DRAMATIC improvements to his game. Meanwhile, the Hawks have set themselves up to have insane amounts of cap space available in the upcoming seasons. While ATL has not been a free agent destination in the past, I cling to the hope that this can change . . . especially if Young and Collins continue to dazzle. The last thing I want is $6.5 Million owed to Jabari to somehow eliminate the possibility of adding multiple max players next offseason. And while it doesn't currently look like next year's crop of NBA free agents will be particularly exciting save for Anthony Davis, you never know what the landscape will look like.

It's not the worst deal in the world. But I'm still not a fan. That said, I hope Jabari kills it and lands a bigger deal next offseason. I'd love to see him succeed. And I'm going to enjoy watching him suit up for "my" team again.
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. The 2020 free agent class is expected to be horrible, which is why 2-year deals are en vogue this summer across the league. Look at how many 2-yr deals the Knicks have doled out, for example.

I don't expect Atlanta will regret this contract. Scorer off the bench sounds like a good role for Jabari, something he might have success in. As y'all know, Atlanta has a chance at the playoffs this season in the shallow East. But to win regular season games, you need a strong bench that can score when the starters rest or are out with injury during a long 82-game season. It's not what Jabari envisioned when he entered the league, I'm sure, but good offense / bad defense guys can carve out long careers by being go-to scoring options when opposing bench units square off against each other. Hopefully Jabari embraces becoming a Jamal Crawford.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. The 2020 free agent class is expected to be horrible, which is why 2-year deals are en vogue this summer across the league. Look at how many 2-yr deals the Knicks have doled out, for example.

I don't expect Atlanta will regret this contract. Scorer off the bench sounds like a good role for Jabari, something he might have success in. As y'all know, Atlanta has a chance at the playoffs this season in the shallow East. But to win regular season games, you need a strong bench that can score when the starters rest or are out with injury during a long 82-game season. It's not what Jabari envisioned when he entered the league, I'm sure, but good offense / bad defense guys can carve out long careers by being go-to scoring options when opposing bench units square off against each other. Hopefully Jabari embraces becoming a Jamal Crawford.
    I'm a fan, never a player, so this question has always interested me: how much of the inability to play decent defense is due to the lack of some innate ability, versus a lack of interest/desire in playing good D? For someone of Jabari's (at least pre-injury) abilities, was his poor defense just a question of lack of effort? Or, to pick on the poster boy for "all O, no D," Jahlil Okafor--I get that he's not a high bounce, huge wingspan defensive demon, but plays like
    this
    sure suggest that effort was a big part of the problem.

So, if you were Jabari (pre-injury) or Jah, with your career and financial future at stake, why wouldn't you make more effort to learn to play defense? Or is that too simplistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

After reading this story (and I'm sure it is over-dramatized), you understand why the Russian Revolution occurred. It seems like a lot of psycho-drama among over-paid and overly-self important people who have no concept of "reality". I mean, this is not even nursery school or kindergarten but PRE-NURSERY school. (And, if true, it does sound like the Redick's have terrible taste in home decorating - "gold sinks"??)

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    I'm a fan, never a player, so this question has always interested me: how much of the inability to play decent defense is due to the lack of some innate ability, versus a lack of interest/desire in playing good D? For someone of Jabari's (at least pre-injury) abilities, was his poor defense just a question of lack of effort? Or, to pick on the poster boy for "all O, no D," Jahlil Okafor--I get that he's not a high bounce, huge wingspan defensive demon, but plays like
    this
    sure suggest that effort was a big part of the problem.

So, if you were Jabari (pre-injury) or Jah, with your career and financial future at stake, why wouldn't you make more effort to learn to play defense? Or is that too simplistic?
    Here is Jabari saying that they don't pay players to play defense...this is the interview that has dogged him in regards to this topic (aside from his poor defense)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FEocFvwBZs

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    After reading this story (and I'm sure it is over-dramatized), you understand why the Russian Revolution occurred. It seems like a lot of psycho-drama among over-paid and overly-self important people who have no concept of "reality". I mean, this is not even nursery school or kindergarten but PRE-NURSERY school. (And, if true, it does sound like the Redick's have terrible taste in home decorating - "gold sinks"??)
    At the risk of straying further off course, what is a pre-nursery school? When kinder is part of elementary, any pre-elementary school offers several years prior to K, culminating in pre-K.
    Carolina delenda est

Lakers just announced they are moving Lebron to point guard (really!) and are using the room exception to sign Avery Bradley. Not looking good for Quinn ever getting any playing time now, with Rondo also in tow.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Lakers just announced they are moving Lebron to point guard (really!) and are using the room exception to sign Avery Bradley. Not looking good for Quinn ever getting any playing time now, with Rondo also in tow.
    QC will operate as a shooter. LBJ will attack and kick, that's his offense. Rondo isn't much of a shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    This seems to be the passage some have referred to:
    The other half just took the compliment. After all, they were good-looking and rich. Chelsea Redick, who had co-chaired the evening’s auction, was in the latter category. Redick was new to the neighborhood. She and her husband, former Duke basketball star and Philadelphia 76ers player JJ Redick, had moved to Brooklyn with their two children in order to be closer to Chelsea’s identical twin, who lived in Dumbo, where they lived in a $4.25 million penthouse overlooking the East River.

To some, the Redicks were the apotheosis of the new element encroaching on the Heights. Renovations to their apartment included the installation of gold bathroom sinks and wallpaper that was said to be custom-made to match the first Louis Vuitton handbag Redick gave his wife. Chelsea and her sister, who were blonde and dimpled and called one another “twinny,” came across to some as an aesthetic aberration. “They look like Sweet Valley High,” observed one Brooklyn Heights parent.

Morgano was a basketball fan, and she had been happy to make room for Redick’s 2-year-old son when the player’s agent called midyear. And she might have dismissed Chelsea as just a WAG herself if Chelsea hadn’t shown up on the first day, sweet and earnest and offering to help out however she could. Her own mom had volunteered at school when she was growing up in Florida, Chelsea said, and she had loads of experience doing toy drives and turkey drives for the various NBA teams her husband had been on. Plus, she said, that’s how you make friends.
    I can't say whether theapartment was tastefully done from this description, although I would never opt for gold bathroom sinks, even in New York. Of course, I had to look up the term DUMBO (down under some bridge overpass).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Of course, I had to look up the term DUMBO (down under some bridge overpass).
    I thought DUMBO was a flying elephant?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This seems to be the passage some have referred to:

I can't say whether theapartment was tastefully done from this description, although I would never opt for gold bathroom sinks, even in New York. Of course, I had to look up the term DUMBO (down under some bridge overpass).
    It is their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I know this thread is not about this niche topic, but it is not everyday that the clash between old money and new money ties into Duke Basketball so neatly (then again, I know nothing about Iron Dukes where this may be an everyday concern). CrazyNotCrazie hit it on the head, she broke all the unwritten rules of decency...she was like Countess Ellen Olenska in Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" and got shunned by rigid and proper New York Society. Had she been a little younger, she'd have seen Whit Stillman's "Metropolitan" and she could have avoided her various faux pas...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUetRoY8s9s
    Pretty much all of Whartons’ novels. I just happen to be reading “House of Myrth” right now. Same dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    QC will operate as a shooter. LBJ will attack and kick, that's his offense. Rondo isn't much of a shooter.
    They also have Danny Green who would presumably be their floor spacer. Plus Lance Stephenson (okay shooter but well past his prime), Caldwell-Pope (average shooter) and Zach Norvell (excellent shooter in college, unlikely to crack the rotation). Quinn's greatest strength is his ability to manage the game, get the ball in the hands of the stars, and hit the occasional open shot. Unfortunately I don't see much of a need for that type of player in this lineup.

I hate to sound like such a downer. Cook was one of my all-time favorite Dukies, mostly for the turnaround he made in his maturity and leadership during his senior year. I'm glad he got a deal and banked some money, but I wish he was on a roster that would give him more of a chance to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Quinn's greatest strength is his ability to manage the game, get the ball in the hands of the stars, and hit the occasional open shot. Unfortunately I don't see much of a need for that type of player in this lineup.
    That sounds more like Tyus. Quinn’s greatest strength is scoring without taking touches away from the stars and being a steady hand as the other point guard.

I sure hope there is a need for that type of player.