Page 25 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What's even more amazing is that of all the alum from unc, men's and women's basketball, women's soccer, football, eventual pro or not, from 1961 to date:

NONE HAVE EVER BEEN IN A CLASS TOGETHER!
    I could hear that Detroit Mic Drop all the way in New York.

What's even more amazing is that of all the alum from unc, men's and women's basketball, women's soccer, football, eventual pro or not, from 1961 to date:

Brilliant, I salute you.

I can't Spork you but this post is VERY deserving. 👍🏻😎

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    JJ was on Zach Lowe's podcast this week:
    http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=27635218

He talks about his 3 most recent teams, and in talking about the Pelicans, the following amazed me and I wonder if it is an NBA record.

Currently, there are 5 Duke players on the Pelicans, JJ, Jah, Frank Jackson, BI and Zion. Because of 4 of them being one-and-dones, none ever played with each other at Duke. Has there ever been a time when 5 players from the same alma mater played on the same NBA team but never played together at the alma mater? I can't imagine it.

Related - here's a link to the BI piece in the Ringer in case you didn't access it from the front page
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9...akers-pelicans
    I think the bold is probably a question on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    The 1949-50 Indianapolis Olympians--one of the founding members of the NBA--included Alex Groza, Ralph Beard, Wahoo Jones, Cliff Barker, Joe Holland and Jack Parkinson, all of whom played at Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Funnily enough, the 2017-18 New Orleans Pelicans had five guys from Kentucky on the team: Cousins, AD, Deandre Liggins, Darius Miller, and Rondo. Liggins only played 27 games (and, sadly, Boogie only played 48), but still. (Some overlap with those guys at UK, so they don't qualify as an answer to the original question.) The Pelicans like to like double down on individual college teams, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    Funnily enough, the 2017-18 New Orleans Pelicans had five guys from Kentucky on the team: Cousins, AD, Deandre Liggins, Darius Miller, and Rondo. Liggins only played 27 games (and, sadly, Boogie only played 48), but still. (Some overlap with those guys at UK, so they don't qualify as an answer to the original question.) The Pelicans like to like double down on individual college teams, I guess.
    double down, for double truth!
    In this case, it's the quintuple truth, Ruth!

Lance Thomas Signs With Nets

After five season playing for the New York Knicks, Lance Thomas will stay in New York to play for the Nets.

Thomas signed with the Nets today, though details of the deal have not been disclosed.

There is some chatter that Thomas may not be on the regular roster, but could be added while Wilson Chandler serves a 20 game suspension, during which time the Nets will be allowed to add an extra player to the roster.

Must spread sporks, yada yada...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    JJ was on Zach Lowe's podcast this week:
    http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=27635218

He talks about his 3 most recent teams, and in talking about the Pelicans, the following amazed me and I wonder if it is an NBA record.

Currently, there are 5 Duke players on the Pelicans, JJ, Jah, Frank Jackson, BI and Zion. Because of 4 of them being one-and-dones, none ever played with each other at Duke. Has there ever been a time when 5 players from the same alma mater played on the same NBA team but never played together at the alma mater? I can't imagine it.

Related - here's a link to the BI piece in the Ringer in case you didn't access it from the front page
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/9...akers-pelicans
    I would be surprised if 5 players from the same school had played on the same NBA team period.

Edit: I see Jim's trivia answer above. Let's qualify it with "since the merger". It isn't terribly surprising I guess that it would have happened back when the league was just starting (with fewer teams so players would be more concentrated) and fewer schools producing elite basketball talent.

Kyrie Irving had an awful lot to say at Nets media day, including that he failed his teammates in Boston, the death of his grandfather really impacted him, and that's he's the next one to take over the league.

JJ to Zion... “Don’t ———— this up for me.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/pel...195433371.html
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

He has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Kyrie Irving had an awful lot to say at Nets media day, including that he failed his teammates in Boston, the death of his grandfather really impacted him, and that's he's the next one to take over the league.
    Very Kyrie statements. Happy he apologized. Question is whether he will actually learn from this.

The man is uber talented shoulders down. It's what's above the shoulders that's the issue.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Those are two very different personalities. JJ seemed to have no level of levity in his comment. That will make him a valuable veteran leader if this team is able to make a run.

I suspect this NOLA team will get more eyes on this board than the danged Bobcat/Hornets ever did.

JJ has made the NBA playoffs 13 out of 13 years in the league -- that appears to be the reference.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Those are two very different personalities. JJ seemed to have no level of levity in his comment. That will make him a valuable veteran leader if this team is able to make a run.
    I think JJ is joking here (he's always had that ability to be dry as a bone with his humor), but I 100% agree that he is going to be a crucial piece in NO. As a teammate, he's shown that rare ability to relieve some of the pressure of the league by having fun (and knows how to get along with the jokesters of the league), while still having that deep, deep level of competitiveness that lets him keep the focus on basketball (and get along with the hypercompetitive all-business players, as well).

One way of thinking about it: the sheer range of personalities he's shared locker rooms with, all of whom are big fans of him and his game. Dwight Howard, Blake Griffin, DeAndre Jordan, and Embiid are all jokers, though all (even Dwight, probably?) are super competitive, as well. Chris Paul and Jimmy Butler are about as controlling/competitive in their approaches as possible. Matt Barnes is a complete wildcard. Markelle Fultz is a complete cypher. Jamal Crawford is another universally beloved vet/locker room presence. Taken all together, that's a lot of super valuable experience in teammate personality management, and a testament to just how likable JJ is as a teammate. Should really help balance the wide range of interesting personalities that the Pelicans have now.

I started following the Pelicans on Twitter and Facebook. It's kinda fun seeing the comments from the Pelicans fans as they get to know the players, especially Zion. Zion's response of JJ's "don't f** this up for me" comment is just fantastic, he's such a likable kid.

By the way, if folks had not heard Lance Thomas' contract with the Nets is for $2.32 million, but is not guaranteed meaning he could be waived. The Nets have a lot of players under contract already so it is not impossible they will cut Lance at some point.

Kinda surprised a classic 3&D guy like Lance who is a positive locker room presence could not find a better situation.

-Jason "maybe he just really wanted to finally play with Kyrie" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

I suspect this NOLA team will get more eyes on this board than the danged Bobcat/Hornets ever did.
    Levity is measured in levels? Not cinder blocks?

if nothing else, Zion should learn from JJ's work ethic, which is about as good as it gets.