Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    I always chuckle at the notion of bad or mediocre teams trading valuable assets and then relying on their incompetent front offices to somehow acquire great talent to rebuild...my Deeetroit City Tigers are a good example of this, giving away some solid veteran players for sacks of beads and cartons of bobbleheads. They stink now and will continue to stink as their feeble acquired assets stumble and bumble in the minors...

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Quinn Cook, Golden State Warriors: Free agent
    Seth Curry, Portland Trailblazers: Free agent
    Luol Deng, Minnesota Timberwolves: Free agent
    Rodney Hood, Portland Trailblazers. Free agent
    Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics: Player option 21MUSD
    Tyus Jones, Minnesota Timberwolves: Qualifying offer 3.8 MUSD
    Semi Ojeleye, Boston Celtics: Team option 1.6MUSD
    Frank Jackson, New Orleans Pelicans: Team option 1.6 MUSD
    Jabari Parker, Washington Wizards: Team option 20 MUSD
    J.J. Redick, Philadelphia 76ers: Free agent
    Austin Rivers, Houston Rockets: Free agent
    Amile Jefferson, Magic: Restricted free agent.
    Thanks for making this list. You might want to add free agent Trevon Duval. With him, a staggering 25 Duke guys played in the NBA last season (not including Ojeleye because he's an SMU alumn...why is he listed here?).

Of those 25 guys, all except four will certainly be back in the NBA next year. The four guys whose NBA future is in doubt: Luol Deng, Jabari Parker, Amile Jefferson and Trevon Duval.

The Lakers bought out Luol Deng halfway through his albatross 2016 contract, and Minnesota gave him a one-year deal for the veteran minimum. He didn't produce much on the court, averaging 7 points per game over 22 games. And if his main role was to provide veteran stability, the chaos in Minnesota (mostly Jimmy Butler's fault) is not a good sign. There's a chance someone else gives him a veteran minimum deal to be a locker-room presence, but at this point it looks like Thibs has finally finished running him into the ground. My guess is Luol Deng's very good NBA career has come to a close.

JasonEvans already covered Jabari Parker: the Wizards will almost certainly turn down his $20M contract option, but someone will give him a contract based on the promise of his bench scoring. Worst case scenario it's a deal like Jahlil Okafor signed with New Orleans, where a team retains a second year option, meaning all the risk is on Jabari. But he's probably in the league next year.

Amile Jefferson worked his way into the NBA, appearing in 12 games for the Magic. He didn't produce much on the court, but he's too good to play in the G-League. Given how hard he's worked to get this far, I imagine he'll find another contract somewhere in the NBA. I'm hoping he can have a breakout moment next year that can lead to a long career as an NBA backup. But at the very least I think he'll appear in at least one NBA game next year.

Finally, there's Trevon Duval, who played three games with the Bucks, got cut, then claimed by Houston off of waivers, before being cut again. He hasn't shown much in the NBA yet, nor has he put up dominant G-league stats. My guess is he spends next year in the G-League trying to prove he's NBA material.

So, by my count that record-breaking 2019 class of NBA Alum will lose two members next season (Deng and Duval) but add three more (Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cameron Reddish), bringing the total number of Duke guys appearing in an NBA game to 26.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Wiz front office does not have a brain - it’s currently unoccupied with no GM less than 2 weeks away from the draft. Reportedly Brooks likes Jabari and they want to bring him back, but I would image they would decline the team option and try to negotiate a free agent deal, but as I said no one is minding the store so they don’t have plan. Do they try to piece a team together around Beal and hope to make the playoffs in the east as a 7 or 8 seed? Jabari at the right price could help there. Do they blow everything up and trade Beal for young talent and draft picks? Jabari likely would not be part of those plans (despite being only 24, given his knees I don’t think he would be part of anyone’s youth movement). Do they keep Brooks? Right now no one knows. As well run as the Caps front office has been, it amazing that the same ownership has been completely inept with the Wiz.
    Even if they really like Jabari, the Wizards are already over the cap and could be close to the luxury tax, so I can't imagine they would keep Jabari at his current contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

[B]

So, by my count that record-breaking 2019 class of NBA Alum will lose two members next season (Deng and Duval) but add three more (Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cameron Reddish), bringing the total number of Duke guys appearing in an NBA game to 26.
    If playing one regular-season NBA game is the metric, than I would expect Marques Bolden to make it 27.

Matt Jones is still trying to move up. He's not the dominant G-League player that Jefferson is but he's made a credible case for himself. This will be his third year in the G League, so I'm thinking this is his move-up or move-to-Europe year.

^^^ technically if you attended a school you're an alum, which is why I'm a Miami Law alum after my scintillating two weeks in Coral Gables, and why Semi can be on the Duke list..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^^^ technically if you attended a school you're an alum, which is why I'm a Miami Law alum after my scintillating two weeks in Coral Gables, and why Semi can be on the Duke list..
    Michael Gbinije is as close to the NBA as Matt Jones is, but we don't seem as interested in following him. If Rasheed Sulaimon mounted a run at an NBA job, would that gain much attention? Are the Liberty U boards still following Seth Curry? (I honestly don't know for that last one)

My point is, it kind of seem like we're counting Semi Ojeleye because he's in the NBA and therefore makes Duke look good. For consistency's sake, I say we stick with guys who played for Duke as their final collegiate team.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    True. But athletes traditionally are associated with the last school they attended. Duke, for example, does not list Elliott Williams, Michael Gibinijie or Semi Ojeleye on their list of NBA players. Duke football doesn't claim Ben Watson, WBB doesn't claim Azura Stevens.

For example.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    True. But athletes traditionally are associated with the last school they attended. Duke, for example, does not list Elliott Williams, Michael Gibinijie or Semi Ojeleye on their list of NBA players. Duke football doesn't claim Ben Watson, WBB doesn't claim Azura Stevens.

For example.
    no argument, I was just trying to suggest a reason for the original list (which I did not compile)...

Thanks for the list, furniture. It's amazing to me to see 25 Dukies on the league, with 3 more coming soon! And maybe Marques too.

So, I really, really don't want it to happen but Lance Thomas's contact is mostly non-guaranteed for this coming season and it is not impossible to imagine the Knicks cutting him loose to give themselves more cap room. He is due to make $7.5 mil and the Knicks may decide there are free agents upon whom that money is better spent.

-Jason "only $1 mil of the contract will be guaranteed. It is possible the Knicks waive him and then try to resign him to a veteran minimum deal" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, I really, really don't want it to happen but Lance Thomas's contact is mostly non-guaranteed for this coming season and it is not impossible to imagine the Knicks cutting him loose to give themselves more cap room. He is due to make $7.5 mil and the Knicks may decide there are free agents upon whom that money is better spent.

-Jason "only $1 mil of the contract will be guaranteed. It is possible the Knicks waive him and then try to resign him to a veteran minimum deal" Evans
    (I'd take $1MM to be cut loose from my current gig...)

Pro Football Reference shows Ben Watson's Duke ties: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WatsBe00.htm Duke should claim him as well. He played. Scored a TD.

For the sake of completeness, I like when these lists include Semi etc ... if it's a list of former Duke players who play in the NBA, he qualifies ... if it's a list of players with a Duke degree who play in the NBA, then maybe he doesn't and shouldn't be listed (but nor do a lot of others) ... to my mind, it's about the integrity of the list and the meaning of words and striving for completeness ... so, if we have a list about Duke players in the NBA, I'd prefer it strive for completeness and that it list all former Duke players now playing in the NBA ... if we want a different list (players we like more b/c they only played college ball at Duke and played in the NBA) then call it something like that ... Duke Football should claim Ben Watson as a former Duke player in the NFL because, lo and behold, he is a former Duke player in the NFL ...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

For example.
    With grad transfers being the notable exception, where they tend to be associated with both (this doesn't apply to anyone being discussed, just pointing it out before someone says something about Russell Wilson).

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Pro Football Reference shows Ben Watson's Duke ties: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WatsBe00.htm Duke should claim him as well. He played. Scored a TD.

For the sake of completeness, I like when these lists include Semi etc ... if it's a list of former Duke players who play in the NBA, he qualifies ... if it's a list of players with a Duke degree who play in the NBA, then maybe he doesn't and shouldn't be listed (but nor do a lot of others) ... to my mind, it's about the integrity of the list and the meaning of words and striving for completeness ... so, if we have a list about Duke players in the NBA, I'd prefer it strive for completeness and that it list all former Duke players now playing in the NBA ... if we want a different list (players we like more b/c they only played college ball at Duke and played in the NBA) then call it something like that ... Duke Football should claim Ben Watson as a former Duke player in the NFL because, lo and behold, he is a former Duke player in the NFL ...
    As Jim mentioned, it is usually about who they played for last. If we're including guys like Semi that's fine, but I would want an asterisk next to those guys on the list.

Put another way, this is a "finished their college career at Duke" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    As Jim mentioned, it is usually about who they played for last. If we're including guys like Semi that's fine, but I would want an asterisk next to those guys on the list.

Put another way, this is a "finished their college career at Duke" list.
    Sorry it’s a Furniture list...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    What is MUSD?
    C2E64FE5-3E5B-4E10-BEB9-0FA3462A9321.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Sorry it’s a Furniture list...
    But I thought we were cheering for laundry?

Tatum taking heat in Boston per Boston.com:
    After the Blues’ won, Boston Celtic forward Jayson Tatum expressed his support: ST LOUIS FOREVER!!!!!
    While many could argue Tatum was just supporting his hometown team, Zolak called the tweet “immature” considering the Boston-St.Louis matchup.

“I’d say that’s a guy who doesn’t get a grasp for the city he plays in. That’s a bad look,” Zolak said of Tatum.

Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    Tatum taking heat in Boston per Boston.com:
    After the Blues’ won, Boston Celtic forward Jayson Tatum expressed his support: ST LOUIS FOREVER!!!!!
    While many could argue Tatum was just supporting his hometown team, Zolak called the tweet “immature” considering the Boston-St.Louis matchup.

“I’d say that’s a guy who doesn’t get a grasp for the city he plays in. That’s a bad look,” Zolak said of Tatum.
    I don't know who Zolak is, but I'm going to assume he's a dillweed*.

Immature? Tatum isn't married to Boston, he just plays there. He wasn't forced to give up his previous hometowns when he was drafted. Will it be an issue if he wears Duke gear to a Duke-BC game? Good grief. I like the Celtics (even outside of the Duke ties, I liked them when they had KG/Rondo/Pierce too), but Boston is one of my absolute least favorite sports cities due to their media personalities and fans.

Ok, a brief google search plus the above quote leaves me about 90% sure I'm right about that. Former Patriot? Make that 95%.

Yeah, Steph Curry is a huge Panthers fan. You don't have to give up your home town team!