Page 4 of 99 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^^^ technically if you attended a school you're an alum, which is why I'm a Miami Law alum after my scintillating two weeks in Coral Gables, and why Semi can be on the Duke list..
    That is certainly what every school development office thinks!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Santa will never get hit with a snowball at a Lakers game.

You want passion and commitment? Come to the Midwest, Packer fans, Bear fans, and Steeler fans are at least the equal of any other - they brave conditions never imagined on the coast. Seahawk fans are in the discussion, with Chief fans up there as well. Raider fans have a fair claim too - they follow the team to LA and Las Vegas.

Knowledge? That is just East Coast arrogance, common in the 3 metro areas (one continuous metro area?). Mostly, they just talk a lot and pretend they are smart. Not the same as knowledge.

Please don't compare Duke fans to northern East Coast "fans," it's insulting.
    Leaving aside the East Coast arrogance issue, as a native (though now transplanted) Pittsburgher, I question your description of Pittsburgh as being in the "midwest." Granted, it has a cultural affinity with a lot of historically industrial midwestern cities, it's west of the Allegheny Mountains, and it's not generally identified with the "coastal elite." But it is in Pennsylvania, for goodness' sake. It's likely just the insecurity bred from years of being looked down on by folks from Philly, but I like to think of myself as an Easterner when cheering on my Stillerz.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Leaving aside the East Coast arrogance issue, as a native (though now transplanted) Pittsburgher, I question your description of Pittsburgh as being in the "midwest." Granted, it has a cultural affinity with a lot of historically industrial midwestern cities, it's west of the Allegheny Mountains, and it's not generally identified with the "coastal elite." But it is in Pennsylvania, for goodness' sake. It's likely just the insecurity bred from years of being looked down on by folks from Philly, but I like to think of myself as an Easterner when cheering on my Stillerz.
    I was born and raised in the burg as well. I apologize for my geographical inaccuracy - but let me explain:

I now live in Michigan, and those who went to UM claim to be as smart as Bostonians think they are (let THAT sink in!). In UM's ironically named fight song, the Wolverines claim to be "the Champions of the West." If Ann Arbor is "west," Pittsburgh MUST be Midwest.

I've done lots and lots of research, but can't find anyplace in the "Mideast."

I was born and raised in the burg as well. I apologize for my geographical inaccuracy - but let me explain:

I now live in Michigan, and those who went to UM claim to be as smart as Bostonians think they are (let THAT sink in!). In UM's ironically named fight song, the Wolverines claim to be "the Champions of the West." If Ann Arbor is "west," Pittsburgh MUST be Midwest.

No Mideast--that's a fair point. And I do remember the Michigan fight song lyrics, which tell us a lot about how people felt about US geography in 1898 (when, according to the Michigan athletics site, it was written).

Once, many, many years ago, I met someone (in Boston, as it happens) from McLean, VA, who asked where I was from. On being told Pittsburgh, he said,
    "I was in Detroit once. Interesting part of the country." I was so nonplussed I didn't think to say "I wouldn't know. I've never been there." So, yeah, East Coast arrogance definitely exists, and maybe I should just embrace my Midwestern heritage. (Still haven't been to Detroit, though.)

Northwestern University was named after the "Northwest Territory in 1851 and featured such "northwest" states as Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Minny Soda, Michigan...everything is relative I guess, including NYC folks calling anything north of White Plains "upstate NY." Generally, in today's parlance, I'd say the midwest begins with Ohio...

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Bad example. Actually, population of Greater Boston area is over 3M more than population of Greater Seattle area.
    Since when am I supposed to let facts interfere with my opinions

Still, I'll retreat to my original premise. There are plenty of jerks among Northeastern city fans, but the majority remain diehard, loyal fans who live and die with their teams, the same way we do with the Devils. To paint all of them with the broad brush of "dillweed" while apparently giving the rest of the country a pass (GSW owners shoving Kawhi, Toronto fans applauding KD, anyone?) seems driven by crude stereotypes

When the Erie Canal opened, it opened the west and that meant the Great Lakes and areas east of the Mississippi.

The Big 10 was founded in the 1890s and originally called The Western Conference.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The Big 10 was founded in the 1890s and originally called The Western Conference.

FWIW
    How many schools?

How many schools?
    Seven. Including the University of Chicago, an athletic powerhouse at the time. Also Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I argued for an even number but was not listened to.

Seven. Including the University of Chicago, an athletic powerhouse at the time. Also Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I argued for an even number but was not listened to.
    You were fairly young at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    No he wasn't. I was there. 😂😎

stop the thread-jacking please.

I don’t mean to gripe but why not open another thread to discuss universities, conferences and fans? Not sure what you guys are even discussing because I open this thread up to see if there is news on ‘Dukies in the NBA’.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

FWIW
    Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
    the champions of the West!

Last two lines of "The Victors."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    No he wasn't. I was there. 😂😎
    Ohhhhh, so the 66 in your DBR name stands for your birth year of 1866?

I don't the #1 or #8 in his screen name, so...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Only 18?

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I don’t mean to gripe but why not open another thread to discuss universities, conferences and fans? Not sure what you guys are even discussing because I open this thread up to see if there is news on ‘Dukies in the NBA’.
    Luol is in the league, and he's really old.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
    the champions of the West!

Last two lines of "The Victors."
    Like I said, ironic ...

One of the oldest professional golf tournaments was the Western Open, started in 1899 which was run by the Western Golf Association. Both the tournament and the WGA are based in Chicago.

On the actual subject, the Jayson Tatum thing is just stupid. For a Boston sports radio host to call someone else immature is rich. Screw Zolak and Go Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. ... But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. ...
    Those knowledgeable, passionate, and committed NYC fans supported their team by booing Daniel Jones at a Yankees game …

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...cid=spartanntp