Page 69 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Great read. Thanks for posting!

The closing paragraph here is a kicker:

When Tatum was drafted, a buddy of mine, a big Celtics fan, asked me about him. I told him at the time that he was as impressive a player that has come through Duke as I could have remembered (this was pre-Bagley and Zion, mind you). There were a lot of other options for scoring on the team - Allen, Kennard, Jefferson, etc. Man, how did that team not reach at least the Final Four? At any rate, I am excited to see Tatum continue to grow and blossom into a full-on superstar. Ever since his days as a high school recruit, he has had this look of being a future stud. It's really fun to see it happen.
    Tatum, Allen, Kennard, Frank Jackson, Giles... 2nd round exit
    Bagley, Carter, Allen, Trent... Elite Eight exit
    Zion, RJ, Cam, Tre... Elite Eight exit

Yes, yes, I understand anything can happen in the tournament. But those teams were STACKED with NBA talent. And the furthest any of them got was the Elite Eight? Sigh...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Tatum, Allen, Kennard, Frank Jackson, Giles... 2nd round exit
    Weak explanation -- NC "bathroom bill" led NCAA to relocate the game to Greenville, SC, where the Gamecocks have a huge following. Less weak explanation -- anything can happen in single elimination format -- SC, a poor offensive team, got incredibly hot in the 2nd half.
    Bagley, Carter, Allen, Trent... Elite Eight exit
    You explain it -- three-point lead AND the ball in regulation with under a minute left. Horrible block call on Wendell in OT.
    Zion, RJ, Cam, Tre... Elite Eight exit
    Scooby-dooby-SHOE. Strangest occurrence in the history of college hoops? A legendary player playing the top rival at home in front of a former U.S. President and the best current player in the NBA,* and his shoe explodes 30 seconds into game, injuring his knee and causing him to miss a bunch of games. Don't lose your star for a bunch of games, says Kyrie about 2011 and UNC's Kenny Smith about 1984.

OTOH we upset top seeds Temple in 1988, Georgetown in 1989, UConn in 1990, and Purdue in 1994 to reach the Final Four. I know, I feel the same way -- "What have you done for me lately?"

Kindly,
    Sage
    * Not to mention world's most famous boxer and his entourage of 17.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Weak explanation -- NC "bathroom bill" led NCAA to relocate the game to Greenville, SC, where the Gamecocks have a huge following. Less weak explanation -- anything can happen in single elimination format -- SC, a poor offensive team, got incredibly hot in the 2nd half.
    You explain it -- three-point lead AND the ball in regulation with under a minute left. Horrible block call on Wendell in OT.
    Scooby-dooby-SHOE. Strangest occurrence in the history of college hoops? A legendary player playing the top rival at home in front of a former U.S. President and the best current player in the NBA,* and his shoe explodes 30 seconds into game, injuring his knee and causing him to miss a bunch of games. Don't lose your star for a bunch of games, says Kyrie about 2011 and UNC's Kenny Smith about 1984.

OTOH we upset top seeds Temple in 1988, Georgetown in 1989, UConn in 1990, and Purdue in 1994 to reach the Final Four. I know, I feel the same way -- "What have you done for me lately?"

Kindly,
    Sage
    * Not to mention world's most famous boxer and his entourage of 17.
    I'm sure Gonzaga can provide season-by-season rationale for why they haven't won a title yet. I get it. It's easy to do so when you assess every season.

But the point still stands - 2 Elite Eight appearances from 3 stacked teams. Am I expecting FF/natties for each of those teams? Of course not. Was I expecting at least one FF amongst those three teams? Absolutely. And I will not believe anyone who says otherwise or isn't a little disappointed in those 3 tournament results.

And the fact that you cite teams from the 1980s/1990s isn't aspiring. "But FDD, Duke is always a high seed in the tournament and is more likely to get upset than upset another team!". Also true. But, since 2007, Duke hasn't been the 1 seed in 2007 (6), 2008 (2), 2009 (2), 2012 (2), 2013 (2), 2014 (3), 2016 (4), 2017 (2), and 2018 (2). And in those 9 tournaments, Duke has been upset by lower seeds in 7 of the 9 (in 2013, Duke was beaten by 1 seed Louisville and in 2018, Duke was beaten by 1 seed Kansas) and Duke never beat a higher seed in any of those tournaments.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I'm sure Gonzaga can provide season-by-season rationale for why they haven't won a title yet. I get it. It's easy to do so when you assess every season.

But the point still stands - 2 Elite Eight appearances from 3 stacked teams. Am I expecting FF/natties for each of those teams? Of course not. Was I expecting at least one FF amongst those three teams? Absolutely. And I will not believe anyone who says otherwise or isn't a little disappointed in those 3 tournament results.

And the fact that you cite teams from the 1980s/1990s isn't aspiring. "But FDD, Duke is always a high seed in the tournament and is more likely to get upset than upset another team!". Also true. But, since 2007, Duke hasn't been the 1 seed in 2007 (6), 2008 (2), 2009 (2), 2012 (2), 2013 (2), 2014 (3), 2016 (4), 2017 (2), and 2018 (2). And in those 9 tournaments, Duke has been upset by lower seeds in 7 of the 9 (in 2013, Duke was beaten by 1 seed Louisville and in 2018, Duke was beaten by 1 seed Kansas) and Duke never beat a higher seed in any of those tournaments.
    I agree with you totally. I am just working on my "Oral History of Duke Basketball" -- when someone asks me a question, then I can talk for hours without stopping.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Moving back to the NBA...

Been a great and bad season for Duke players this year:

The Good:
    -Tatum is one of the best players in the NBA in real plus/minus. This kid is an absolute stud and arguably the best Dukie right now
    -Ingram is living up to his 3rd pick with an All-Star appearance. He is a mellow kid, and the Big Easy suits the Skinny Easy
    -Zion is...well...Zion
    -Trent Jr is a solid rotation player in the NBA, and he's averaging 10ppg in the last 10 games as a Lou Williams-type player for the Blazers
    -Tyus is having a really nice season. He's a really good backup PG
    -Redick being Redick. What a nice player to come off the bench
    -Curry playing the same role as Redick, only for a surefire playoff team
    -Plumlee doing his thing, as usual, for the Nuggets. He is a fantastic backup 5
    -Rivers doing his thing for the Rockets. Excellent defender, opportunistic scorer.

The Bad:
    -Kennard has improved, but he's been injured a lot this season
    -Jackson hasn't shown much improvement from last season, which is a shame given he was great in the last quarter of last year's season
    -Giles hasn't improved much, which is sad given he's healthier this season and Bagley has been out
    -Hood tore his Achillies. This would be "Ugly" but I just learned he may come back in time for the playoffs!
    -Jabari was having a nice season but got traded to the Kings (and he still can't play defense)
    -RJ hitting some poor efficiency metrics, plays for the Knicks
    -Cam also having efficiency issues, but so much better in the second third of the season
    -Winslow injured again, but had a great start to the season and gets traded to a team that needs a player like him

The Ugly:
    -Kyrie out for the season, created locker room tension with the Nets
    -Bagley has had an injury to every body part this year
    -Jah still can't play defense and has resulted in lots of DNPs

How do you rate Wendell Carter?

Injured some -- but about to return. Season average (37 games) -- 11.7 in points and 9.9 in rebounds in 30 MPG. One odd statistic (or error) -- he has started all 81 of the games in which he has played during his career.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    How do you rate Wendell Carter?

Injured some -- but about to return. Season average (37 games) -- 11.7 in points and 9.9 in rebounds in 30 MPG. One odd statistic (or error) -- he has started all 81 of the games in which he has played during his career.
    Forgot Carter. Right now, I'd rate him as "Good" even though he's missed 1/3 of the games so far. But in two seasons, he's been injured a lot. So this is something to monitor for sure.

Carter is one - if not the only - bright spot for the Bulls. Man, the Bulls are just bad!

This Pelicans team is just plain fun to watch. The way they are sharing the ball is fantastic.

I also feel like Zion’s +/- impact is more tangible than any player I can ever recall watching.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    This Pelicans team is just plain fun to watch. The way they are sharing the ball is fantastic.

I also feel like Zion’s +/- impact is more tangible than any player I can ever recall watching.
    I watched the game last night. Zion does a lot of good things in addition to his scoring, He had 25 and will improve with an uptick in his foul shooting. Ingram was great and JJ can still ball. The Duke guy for Portland that impressed me was Trent. He shot quite well and played decent defense. Not a star, but a very solid contributor.

10. Kennard is somewhere between good and bad.

When he was healthy and playing, he was amazing and looked like Detroit's future. He shot well, passed well and controlled the game.

This recent injury was supposed to be minor, a 2-3 week injury. Two months later, he's still not playing. Initially I thought he was held out because of trade scenarios, but clearly it's more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Kennard is somewhere between good and bad.

When he was healthy and playing, he was amazing and looked like Detroit's future. He shot well, passed well and controlled the game.

This recent injury was supposed to be minor, a 2-3 week injury. Two months later, he's still not playing. Initially I thought he was held out because of trade scenarios, but clearly it's more serious than that.
    Yeah, the Pistons are clearly serious about tanking to improve their draft status.

Harry Giles III was very good today in 32 minutes of play.

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401161477

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post

He is a free agent I think more than a few teams should try to sign this summer, my Pistons included.

He should be reasonably priced and has a LOT of upside

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    He is a free agent I think more than a few teams should try to sign this summer, my Pistons included.

He should be reasonably priced and has a LOT of upside
    Yeah, I think he's all of 21, and he'll definitely get some good offers
    Curry is the guy who has flown under the radar for many, seems he quite often (like last night) comes up with a 20+ pt performance...good for him. Thirty-eight minutes, 22 pts, 4-9 from three.

Kyrie, if you're reading this, please take note: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...e-hughes-dead/

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post

Highlights. Some very nice touches...

https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/...68191491952640
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

The Good:
    -Tatum is one of the best players in the NBA in real plus/minus. This kid is an absolute stud and arguably the best Dukie right now
    -Ingram is living up to his 3rd pick with an All-Star appearance. He is a mellow kid, and the Big Easy suits the Skinny Easy
    -Zion is...well...Zion
    -Trent Jr is a solid rotation player in the NBA, and he's averaging 10ppg in the last 10 games as a Lou Williams-type player for the Blazers
    -Tyus is having a really nice season. He's a really good backup PG
    -Redick being Redick. What a nice player to come off the bench
    -Curry playing the same role as Redick, only for a surefire playoff team
    -Plumlee doing his thing, as usual, for the Nuggets. He is a fantastic backup 5
    -Rivers doing his thing for the Rockets. Excellent defender, opportunistic scorer.

The Bad:
    -Kennard has improved, but he's been injured a lot this season
    -Jackson hasn't shown much improvement from last season, which is a shame given he was great in the last quarter of last year's season
    -Giles hasn't improved much, which is sad given he's healthier this season and Bagley has been out
    -Hood tore his Achillies. This would be "Ugly" but I just learned he may come back in time for the playoffs!
    -Jabari was having a nice season but got traded to the Kings (and he still can't play defense)
    -RJ hitting some poor efficiency metrics, plays for the Knicks
    -Cam also having efficiency issues, but so much better in the second third of the season
    -Winslow injured again, but had a great start to the season and gets traded to a team that needs a player like him

The Ugly:
    -Kyrie out for the season, created locker room tension with the Nets
    -Bagley has had an injury to every body part this year
    -Jah still can't play defense and has resulted in lots of DNPs
    And Allen falls where?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Kyrie, if you're reading this, please take note: https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...e-hughes-dead/
    I'm sorry I can't generate an appropriate level of sympathy, but this sounds like Wile E Coyote:

"The daredevil "Mad" Mike Hughes was killed in a rocket launch gone wrong ...
    It was the third launch for Hughes in one of his homemade rockets and part of his eventual plan to be able to determine for himself, up in the sky, if the Earth was as flat as he proclaimed to believe.
    A steel ladder was attached to the rocket's launch ramp to make it easier for Hughes to enter the rocket's cockpit. But when the rocket launched, it ended up hitting the ladder and setting the launch on course for disaster.
    "It ripped off a parachute can, which deployed the parachute, which got caught in the thrust of the rocket and kind of took the rocket off course a little bit," ...
    The steam-powered rocket wobbled and did a huge arc before crashing less than a minute later.
    "He went way up in the sky," ... his goal was 5,000 feet. Then it did an arc and then came straight down and nose-dived into the desert floor about half a mile away from the launch pad."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80864...omemade-rocket

The article actually paints a sympathetic picture of a lonely man, age 64, whose exploits as a stuntman he feared were forgotten. The entire accident was filmed by the Science Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'm sorry I can't generate an appropriate level of sympathy, but this sounds like Wile E Coyote:

"The daredevil "Mad" Mike Hughes was killed in a rocket launch gone wrong ...
    It was the third launch for Hughes in one of his homemade rockets and part of his eventual plan to be able to determine for himself, up in the sky, if the Earth was as flat as he proclaimed to believe.
    A steel ladder was attached to the rocket's launch ramp to make it easier for Hughes to enter the rocket's cockpit. But when the rocket launched, it ended up hitting the ladder and setting the launch on course for disaster.
    "It ripped off a parachute can, which deployed the parachute, which got caught in the thrust of the rocket and kind of took the rocket off course a little bit," ...
    The steam-powered rocket wobbled and did a huge arc before crashing less than a minute later.
    "He went way up in the sky," ... his goal was 5,000 feet. Then it did an arc and then came straight down and nose-dived into the desert floor about half a mile away from the launch pad."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/23/80864...omemade-rocket

The article actually paints a sympathetic picture of a lonely man, age 64, whose exploits as a stuntman he feared were forgotten. The entire accident was filmed by the Science Channel.
    The Science Channel filmed this guy. The Science channel??? Surely as a cautionary tale, right?

20. Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Yeah, the Pistons are clearly serious about tanking to improve their draft status.
    Yeah that's true! They should ramp down Rose's minutes as well.