Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
Philly fans have taken a beating here recently. As a Philly native/fan (mainly the Sixers), I get it. I hate Boston fans with a passion, but not because of who they are, but because of their unconscionable level of success versus most fan bases, Philly included (though the Super Bowl was nice). But, if we exclude jealousy, then objectively it's impossible to deny that Boston/NYC/Philly fans are also at the top of the list for knowledge, passion, and commitment. If you're not them, you hate them. But if you are a pro athlete, they are the fans you want in your arena. And to me, more than anything, what defines a fan is how well they support their team. Come on, Jetpack, are you really saying you think that, say, LA fans, arriving 45 minutes late for a Lakers game and leaving by the end of the third quarter, are better than Philly fans because they're more refined?

I'll prove my point: Google "most hated college basketball fans." Yup, it's us. We're the Boston/NYC/Philly fan base of college basketball. And I'm proud of that.
(a) Your second para. is just the phenomenon of being the "best-known" program. You may hate the duke team, but the Duke fans are really civil compared to other fan bases. Now, the structure of Cameron makes all the fans seem noisier.

(b) You know how horribly obnoxious Maryland and Rutgers fans are compared to the college fans in the rest of the nation? There is no limit to what they will say. I remember when Rutgers played Navy in football, they were wishing the Middies to die in war -- uhh, that's in defending the US of A. Well, they all grow up to be even worse as adults -- and there you have Philly, NY and Boston fans. "Knowledge" has nothing to do with it, if the behavior is so obnoxious. And, in my experience, the level of obnoxiousness is worse there than in other other regions of the country.

But maybe I haven't watched sports in enough cities.