Page 88 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,760 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Start warming up your voice; the difference in overall team effort level is sad.
    And I feel like team energy hasn’t been there from the opening tip of the restart. Almost makes me wonder if the team has stopped responding to Gentry and is ready for a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And I feel like team energy hasn’t been there from the opening tip of the restart. Almost makes me wonder if the team has stopped responding to Gentry and is ready for a new coach.
    Pelicans need an in-shape Zion. Maybe he should train with JJ.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Lonzo Ball is not good for this team. Yes he can make a spectacular assist and has great vision- but he is a very poor FT shooter and is an unreliable scorer. They need a point guard that can score the ball and hit FTs in crunch time. I have not been impressed with his play in the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    They need a point guard that can score the ball and hit FTs in crunch time. I have not been impressed with his play in the bubble.
    Frank Jackson?

As an aside, I'm intrigued by the relatively recent term "score the ball." What else are they supposed to score?

Alvin Gentry’s substitution pattern reminds me a lot of a certain septuagenarian down the road. Nonsensical.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Lonzo Ball is not good for this team. Yes he can make a spectacular assist and has great vision- but he is a very poor FT shooter and is an unreliable scorer. They need a point guard that can score the ball and hit FTs in crunch time. I have not been impressed with his play in the bubble.
    So, which team would Lonzo be good upon? Who needs a PG who cannot shoot?

Despite JJ’s heroics, the Pels D was weak and Zion is just so clearly not in shape (he seems less explosive). The Spurs are going to eliminate NO and end JJ’s streak of playoff appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Frank Jackson?

As an aside, I'm intrigued by the relatively recent term "score the ball." What else are they supposed to score?
    If the bubble is truly being kept intact, there is likely very little other scoring going on there...

RIP Pels.

Hope they keep key pieces for next year and Zion can play closer to 30 plus minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    RIP Pels.

Hope they keep key pieces for next year and Zion can play closer to 30 plus minutes.
    I'm thinking that maybe, perhaps, Mr. Gentry is not one of those key pieces.

I concur. He’s gone, imho.

Isn't he doing what the front office dictates, in regards to Zion's PT?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Isn't he doing what the front office dictates, in regards to Zion's PT?
    Yup, for sure, but I don’t think any of us feel he should be fired for his handling of Zion’s minutes. There are reasons that have nothing to do with Zion that make Us question his coaching performance.

Really a banner day for the Duke South players individually, but the Pels as a team, ugh.
    Zion scored 25 but had a -21, JJ scored 31 but had a -6, Ingram had a +1 to go with his 17pts.

Frank Jackson?

I suppose it is to mean “score with the ball” vs “score via the pass” but not exactly sure when it emerged and why.

I suppose it is to mean “score with the ball” vs “score via the pass” but not exactly sure when it emerged and why.
    Blasted Millennial talk.

Gary Trent Jr finally cooled off hitting just 1 3FG, but Grayson continues his prolific offensive output with 20pts on 4-10 3FG.
    Jayson Tatum also had a big day, scoring 29, but Gordo scored 31 on a super efficient night shooting. Austin Rivers in the middle of a superb game with no sight of Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Really a banner day for the Duke South players individually, but the Pels as a team, ugh.
    Zion scored 25 but had a -21, JJ scored 31 but had a -6, Ingram had a +1 to go with his 17pts.
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Gary Trent Jr finally cooled off hitting just 1 3FG, but Grayson continues his prolific offensive output with 20pts on 4-10 3FG.
    Jayson Tatum also had a big day, scoring 29, but Gordo scored 31 on a super efficient night shooting. Austin Rivers in the middle of a superb game with no sight of Westbrook.
    Yup, another day, another great showing from Duke players in the bubble.

Austin Rivers was absolutely on fire, scoring a career-high 41 points on just 20 shots from the field (14-20 fg, 6-11 3pt, and 7-8 ft). And as is his want, he used an impressive array of fancy dribble moves to set up those shots. He threw in 6 rebounds and 4 assists for good measure in a win over the Kings.

In the same game, Jabari Parker had his best game with the Kings so far (sample size: 4 games), scoring 12 points and adding 4 rebounds. Harry Giles had just 2 points and 3 rebounds.

Just not a well-coached team, IMEO

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, for sure, but I don’t think any of us feel he should be fired for his handling of Zion’s minutes. There are reasons that have nothing to do with Zion that make Us question his coaching performance.
    Going by my eyeballs -- sorry, stats guys -- the Pels are just not that well-coached. Whether they are not responding en masse to what Gentry is telling them, or he isn't giving them the direction they need, we don't know and it doesn't ultimately matter.

Their defense has been consistently mediocre to atrocious -- sometimes painful to watch. On offense, they have some excellent pieces, but they lack coherence. Would a great PG help, no doubt.

One of the most fun things about watching the NBA games so far has been their intensity. Most teams are going at it full blast, with playoff focus and energy. The Pels? On and off.

Gentry comes across as a good, positive person. But it seems to me the Pels need a coaching change.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Going by my eyeballs -- sorry, stats guys -- the Pels are just not that well-coached. Whether they are not responding en masse to what Gentry is telling them, or he isn't giving them the direction they need, we don't know and it doesn't ultimately matter.

Their defense has been consistently mediocre to atrocious -- sometimes painful to watch. On offense, they have some excellent pieces, but they lack coherence. Would a great PG help, no doubt.

One of the most fun things about watching the NBA games so far has been their intensity. Most teams are going at it full blast, with playoff focus and energy. The Pels? On and off.

Gentry comes across as a good, positive person. But it seems to me the Pels need a coaching change.
    Or, as Pat Riley said many years ago as GM in Miami, after successfully coaching in Los Angeles, New York and Miami, basically: At some point, no matter how successful you have been as a coach, the players quit listening to you and it's time to move on.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013