Page 86 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1967
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ the only reason I can think of is Alvin Gentry. He does not inspire confidence..
    Agreed. I will go so far as to say if the Pelicans do not make the postseason he needs to go. He seems like a really nice guy and I actually root for him but if he can’t get this team, with Zion, to the playoffs he has to be held accountable. Especially after this bubble playoff push was set up so nicely for NO.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Agreed. I will go so far as to say if the Pelicans do not make the postseason he needs to go. He seems like a really nice guy and I actually root for him but if he can’t get this team, with Zion, to the playoffs he has to be held accountable. Especially after this bubble playoff push was set up so nicely for NO.
    The Pellies are just really, really, really, really bad at defense. Which makes no sense, given you have Favors, Lonzo, and Holiday, 3 excellent defenders. Their team D is just so bad.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    The Pellies are just really, really, really, really bad at defense. Which makes no sense, given you have Favors, Lonzo, and Holiday, 3 excellent defenders. Their team D is just so bad.
    The Pelicans season is all but over now. Their only hope would be to run the table and pray almost every team in front of them goes cold. As an aside, my enthusiasm to watch the remainder of the NBA season has dropped precipitously after today’s loss.
    Last edited by SouthernDukie; 08-06-2020 at 03:54 PM.

The Pelicans season is all but over now. Their only hope would be to run the table and pray almost every team in front of them goes cold. As an aside, my enthusiasm to watch the remainder of the NBA season has dropped precipitously after today’s loss.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed.
    +1. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ the only reason I can think of is Alvin Gentry. He does not inspire confidence..
    I wouldn't mind seeing another coach, but it also seems that management doesn't care much about the playoffs this year. That may be understandable for the long-range plan, but it's frustrating to watch with the nucleus of Zion, Ingram, and Holiday, plus other pieces. Gentry and Zion have made no secret that they would prefer for Zion to be playing more minutes now, but it's not their choice. I was surprised when they pulled Zion early in the 4th quarter today, with him shooting 10-12 and a vital game still potentially within reach. Zion also said before the layoff that he had been told to pick his spots on defense, and it definitely shows. I would think it would be frustrating to the players who want to compete to know the organization is holding back this year to protect future years. Maybe, some of that rubs off into poor defensive effort and focus. Ingram got praise for his defense in LA before his offense came along. We know what a full Zion can do. Add in Holiday, Ball, and Favors, and they just shouldn't be so terrible on that end.

Ummm, Gary Trent might legitimately be like the 3rd or 4th best player on this surging Trail Blazers team. They are easily handling a very good Denver team by 18 points right now... largely thanks to the play of the team when Gary is on the floor (he's +17). He is currently 6-6 from the field including 3-3 from 3 and has 15 points in 17 minutes of play thus far.

I mean, Lillard and Nurkic are clearly better than he is... and probably McCollum... but Gary sure seems like the kind of sweet shooting, defensive stopper (watch his D, he's really good) that is a huge part of any championship team.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm, Gary Trent might legitimately be like the 3rd or 4th best player on this surging Trail Blazers team. They are easily handling a very good Denver team by 18 points right now... largely thanks to the play of the team when Gary is on the floor (he's +17). He is currently 6-6 from the field including 3-3 from 3 and has 15 points in 17 minutes of play thus far.

I mean, Lillard and Nurkic are clearly better than he is... and probably McCollum... but Gary sure seems like the kind of sweet shooting, defensive stopper (watch his D, he's really good) that is a huge part of any championship team.
    And Gary finishes with 27 points on 7-10 from 3 and 10-15 FGs overall. He played 36 minutes, basically the entire 4th quarter. Dame had 45 but Gary was the 2nd leading scorer on the team.

Gary is a restricted free agent after next season and someone is going to pay him a LOT OF MONEY to shoot for them.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

And Gary finishes with 27 points on 7-10 from 3 and 10-15 FGs overall. He played 36 minutes, basically the entire 4th quarter. Dame had 45 but Gary was the 2nd leading scorer on the team.

Gary is a restricted free agent after next season and someone is going to pay him a LOT OF MONEY to shoot for them.
    CJ, Dame, Gary, Nurkic, and either Mello or Collins is a lineup that the Lakers do not want to see in the #8 spot.

I wish the bubble was more than 8 games**. I feel like some teams are completely different from what they were four months ago. I hope the Suns and Blazers make the 8/9 game. Sign me up for Dame versus Booker!!

- Jason "**- though with home court being meaningless, making all these teams who are locked into the playoffs play more games feels silly... seeding position is irrelevant at this point" Evans

Jason "**- though with home court being meaningless, making all these teams who are locked into the playoffs play more games feels silly... seeding position is irrelevant at this point" Evans
    Do you really believe seeding position is irrelevant just because there is no home court? Seeding position determines which teams play each other in the first round and which potential matchups might occur in subsequent rounds.

Where teams are slotted 1 through 8 could be a major factor in helping determine which teams make it through to the conference finals. Matchups matter quite a lot, which you pointed out with the example of the Lakers potentially having to play Portland in the first round,

Man, I would dearly love to see Portland knock off the Lakers in round one. No matter what were to happen after that I’d be happy.

He’s 22-35 on 3pt. shots in the bubble. That’s 63%. That’s pretty good.

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1291536270556925952?s=20

The Carlos Boozer of his class. Trent bet on himself and looks to have won. I wonder if playing in the same venue sans fans is a benefit to good shooters - while scorers need fans to derive energy.

3 and D

This may be controversial, but is GT Junior our version of Dancin Danny Green?

Trent is a 3pt shooter on offense. That’s really all he is at this point. And he’s a fantastic on-ball defender.

Also, is Trent our first 3-and-D player? Battier was more versatile on defender and intangibles and Dantay wasn’t a great shooter.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Also, is Trent our first 3-and-D player? Battier was more versatile on defender and intangibles and Dantay wasn’t a great shooter.
    How was Battier not the very definition of a 3&D player? Just cause his D was much better than his 3, those were still the two main things he brought to the floor and they are integral parts of a championship team (which is how he won rings and consistently played deep into the playoffs).

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing another coach, but it also seems that management doesn't care much about the playoffs this year. That may be understandable for the long-range plan, but it's frustrating to watch with the nucleus of Zion, Ingram, and Holiday, plus other pieces. Gentry and Zion have made no secret that they would prefer for Zion to be playing more minutes now, but it's not their choice. I was surprised when they pulled Zion early in the 4th quarter today, with him shooting 10-12 and a vital game still potentially within reach. Zion also said before the layoff that he had been told to pick his spots on defense, and it definitely shows. I would think it would be frustrating to the players who want to compete to know the organization is holding back this year to protect future years. Maybe, some of that rubs off into poor defensive effort and focus. Ingram got praise for his defense in LA before his offense came along. We know what a full Zion can do. Add in Holiday, Ball, and Favors, and they just shouldn't be so terrible on that end.
    Further evinced by the Pel's decision to hold Zion out of today's game.

ESPN article on 9 guys who are breakout players in the bubble: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/pag...layers-orlando

Two of them are Dukies:
    Gary Trent Jr --
    In four games, Trent is averaging 20.3 points on 59% shooting, including 63% from deep, and he's a team-best +54. For the first time in his career, he has hit at least four 3-pointers in four consecutive games.

At 6-5, he's also a comfortable fit next to Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum on the floor. That three-man lineup has a net rating of +19.3 in 74 minutes in Orlando.
    and Grayson Allen--
    Allen saw his sophomore season cut short by a hip injury that sidelined him for the Grizzlies' last 20 games before the hiatus. The break turned out to be a boon. Allen has averaged 14.3 points on 60.6% shooting (including 66.7% from 3) in the bubble.

"I've literally been working out for months leading up to this now," Allen said of the playing time he has received. "So, I'm in the shape to handle it."

Zion not playing today due to back-to-back games. NBA Channel reports at 3:30pm.

How was Battier not the very definition of a 3&D player? Just cause his D was much better than his 3, those were still the two main things he brought to the floor and they are integral parts of a championship team (which is how he won rings and consistently played deep into the playoffs).
    yeah, even the remark trying to remove Battier from the 3nD role said Battier played more versatile (ie., better) defense than Gary. I think intangibles are also generally bundled in withe definition of 3nD largely because defensive intangibles get swept into the D portion and offensive intangibles, like setting screens and moving the ball well often don't get a label and also, ironically, help that player get more 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Ugh. I’m losing more interest in this NBA restart by the hour.

Ugh. I’m losing more interest in this NBA restart by the hour.
    Well, the Pelicans are pulling away in the 4th quarter, in a game they had to win, looks like they will. All 3 of Duke South who played scoring at least 13 and being important contributors to the win. Ingram however did not shoot well, including some misses late, and getting pulled for a sub at the 1 minute mark.
    I don't know if that makes you lose interest or not, but i for one am stoked to see Duke South make progress towards making the "Playoffs".
    Additionally, Grayson continues to play an important role for the "Playoff"-bound Memphis Grizzlies. Tatum continues to be a key player for the "Playoff"-bound Celtics.