Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    I pride myself on being unbiased, and while I am obviously pulling hard for the US, that looked like embellishment by Lavelle. I'd probably be irritated if that call went against us.

Good PK by Rapinoe, though.
    I think everyone knew she was going low left, and the keeper still wasn't close to stopping it.

Defenders don't get enough credit for excellent position play, but Crystal Dunn has been amazing. (She was great against Sweden too).

Whew.

I have no idea how players like Rapinoe, Dunn, O'Hara, Mewis, and Heath can still have that kind of speed left after 90-plus minutes, especially in an up-and-down, physical match like that.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

There is also apparently an agreement by USWNT and the US Soccer folks to mediate their pay dispute soon, per a report I heard on the radio at lunch (CNN, perhaps?).

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Silliness of soccer observation...

On the second penalty kick, the ref argues with Rapinoe over the placement of the ball, saying it wasn't touching the white circle. Twice.
    It was an argument of literal millimeters.

I lost count of how many times the ball went out of bounds by a good foot or so and the refs didn't blink.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Silliness of soccer observation...

On the second penalty kick, the ref argues with Rapinoe over the placement of the ball, saying it wasn't touching the white circle. Twice.
    It was an argument of literal millimeters.

I lost count of how many times the ball went out of bounds by a good foot or so and the refs didn't blink.
    FWIW, in soccer the line is actually in bounds. So a ball is not out until it completely crosses the sideline or end line. Any part of the ball still touching the line is in. I do agree the argument on whether it was touching the circle was silly, however.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    FWIW, in soccer the line is actually in bounds. So a ball is not out until it completely crosses the sideline or end line. Any part of the ball still touching the line is in. I do agree the argument on whether it was touching the circle was silly, however.
    So, if it's at least one foot over the line, it's OB, right? I saw that at least a few times, and laughed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So, if it's at least one foot over the line, it's OB, right? I saw that at least a few times, and laughed.
    Correct. Out of Bounds is up to the linesman to call as they have the best angle on the sideline most of the time. But the referee can always overrule the linesman/AR.

Also, interestingly, it doesn't matter where the player is standing as to whether the ball is out of play or not. A goalie can have her entire body in the goal, but if the ball is a millimeter on the line it's not a goal, as it is still in play.

1*ezDd1orLIi5DNrfWf5tO6g.jpg

Lastly, the diagonal system of control is used by officials to keep action between the referee and the linesman (assistant referee, or AR), or on the referee's side of the field. But it's a big field for one person to cover, and missing an OOB call is easy to do if you are out of position, which is easy to do with quick changes of possession. A referee at this level runs between 6 and 8 miles during the course of a game, some of which is at a full sprint, which is similar to what most players cover. Oh, and there are no substitutes for referees either
    "There can BE only one."

I hate VAR.

I really hate VAR.

I was pleasantly surprised to find our own Blazindw, Donald Wein, on Grant Wahl’s podcast talking about his leadership role with US Women’s (and men’s) supporter’s group, the American Outlaws.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...b-e3168803f149

It’s the second half of the pod. He’s been in France for weeks. Blazindw is my hero for pulling this off while still working!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to find our own Blazindw, Donald Wein, on Grant Wahl’s podcast talking about his leadership role with US Women’s (and men’s) supporter’s group, the American Outlaws.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...b-e3168803f149

It’s the second half of the pod. He’s been in France for weeks. Blazindw is my hero for pulling this off while still working!!!
    Donald is a freelance lawyer. Flexibility is his middle name
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Donald is a freelance lawyer. Flexibility is his middle name
    Send lawyers, guns and money . . . .

The United States ended up being the only team to help prevent all-European quarterfinals.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    The United States ended up being the only team to help prevent all-European quarterfinals.
    Well, England only counts as partially-European these days. . . . ;-)

But yes, Europe has dominated futbol across the board this year.

So when did England hire Neymar for player development?

I suspect the U.S. women are in for a rough one today...they looked more vulnerable on defense vs Spain than I would have expected...sloppiness vs France is not advised...great lead in to today's cocktail hour!

Ought to be a fun test. Hope our women are up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I suspect the U.S. women are in for a rough one today...they looked more vulnerable on defense vs Spain than I would have expected...sloppiness vs France is not advised...great lead in to today's cocktail hour!
    After three easy wins and with France on the horizon, Spain had "trap game" written all over it. I expect they'll be more focused today.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

How many UNC players on on this WC squad? I really need to know before I decide how hard to cheer. It's time to focus on what's important.