Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Women's World Cup - 2019 Champs!

Play is underway! Open thread for discussion.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'm really enjoying the games already. Can't wait to see the USWNT play tomorrow.

The Italy vs Australia game was interesting. I thought Italy, who was the underdog, out played Australia most of the game but was behind a good bit after a pretty weak penalty was called in the box. I was really happy that Italy came back to win, I though they deserved to win that game!

BTW, there is an awesome podcast from Sports Illustrated called "Throwback" that is all about the history of the Women's National Team. It's an incredible story of building a program out of absolutely nothing, and the women who made it happen. Only 5 episodes, but definitely worth a listen.
    "There can BE only one."

Finally the U.S. Women get to play today, Thai one on!

The USWNT is SO much more fun to watch than the USMNT. Let's go USA!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They truly are. I still recall their amazing play (fabulous ball control and passing) in the 2015 Final win over Japan...just the thing for a drizzly afternoon today...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The US has so many male world-class athletes. I have no idea how we could get enough of them to play soccer to finally make us relevant on the world stage. What a shame.

The US Women are rock stars. Let's... uh... ROCK!

I'm trying to record the game from my YOUTUBE TV app. First time, hope it works.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Guess who just got interviewed for like five minutes on CNN-International?

IMG_4574.jpg IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Chile and Sweden currently locked in a 0-0 tie in the 58th minute, and a typhoon has descended on the stadium. Just started pouring rain.

UPDATE: Match temporarily suspended in the 72nd minute due to severe weather. Still raining hard, and apparently there's lightning in the area. Score still tied 0-0.
    Last edited by Tom B.; 06-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

OK, I know it's Thailand, which isn't the strongest team, but still...

Just...damn.

Does FIFA have a mercy rule?

As I'm writing this, U.S. kicks the extra point and now leads 7-0.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

OK, I know it's Thailand, which isn't the strongest team, but still...

Just...damn.

Does FIFA have a mercy rule?

As I'm writing this, U.S. kicks the extra point and now leads 7-0.
    Had forgotten to check in today. Uh... 12-0 in extra time?

oughta be a mechanism to allow a team that's way ahead to clear its bench...it was tough to watch the final 20 minutes or so, it was such a mismatch...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Had forgotten to check in today. Uh... 12-0 in extra time?

Nope. 13-0.

That was just target practice. I mean, is Thailand really that bad? They're #34 in the FIFA rankings. Three spots above Argentina, which tied #7 Japan. Five spots above Chile, which gave #9 Sweden a tough game today before falling 2-0. Fifteen spots above Cameroon, which battled #5 Canada and lost 1-0.

Nope. 13-0.

That was just target practice. I mean, is Thailand really that bad? They're #34 in the FIFA rankings. Three spots above Argentina, which tied #7 Japan. Five spots above Chile, which gave #9 Sweden a tough game today before falling 2-0. Fifteen spots above Cameroon, which battled #5 Canada and lost 1-0.
    I've admittedly paid very little attention in the run up to this tournament, but I usually enjoy watching closely. Will definitely tune in moving forward.

Nope. 13-0.

13 goals is the new record for most combined goals in a single World Cup match--men's or women's. And they were all scored by one team.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    13 goals is the new record for most combined goals in a single World Cup match--men's or women's. And they were all scored by one team.
    That was just an incredible show by the Americans. You just feel bad for the Thailand team after a while. Twice they scored a bunch of goals in rapid succession to where you start to react and then everything is just different in no time.

I only got to see highlights, but it sounded like a home game.

Sometimes stats tell the story really well:

Possession: 73/27
    Shots 40/2
    Shots on target 20/2
    Corners 10/0

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Guess who just got interviewed for like five minutes on CNN-International?

IMG_4574.jpg IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg
    Who?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nope. 13-0.

There is a pretty wide gap between the top tier and the rest in women's soccer. I wouldn't expect teams ranked in the 30s to be especially good (13 goals is still incredible, of course). I do think complaints that the US didn't pull up at some point are a little warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who?
    Seconded, should I recognize that person?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    oughta be a mechanism to allow a team that's way ahead to clear its bench...it was tough to watch the final 20 minutes or so, it was such a mismatch...
    This is the highest level of soccer. There is no reason for a winning team to hold back. It should s up to the other team.to respond. In addition, goals scored have potential impact on advancement to the knock out round