Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
I agree with all of this, although I don't think a change to the sub rule would stop the diving. It's done to draw attention to the "foul." I think the best remedy is to give yellow cards for simulation/diving. (I also notice a lot less diving in women's soccer although it is there, too).

I would be in favor of a free substitution for head injuries while they see if the player can continue or not. But otherwise I don't have a real problem with how it works now for injuries. The time is added back on at the end of the half, and sometimes you just have to play a man (or woman) down while a player gets treatment on the sideline.
538 did an analysis of stoppage time for the last men's world cup, and showed that almost universally, the stoppage time is much less than actual stoppage of play. So, there's still incentive to fake injuries for an extended period if you're trying to waste time. I think there was literally only one game were the stoppage time given at the end of the game exceeded the actual "stopped play" time that the 538 guys calculated. Players and coaches know this. Why it's that way, I have no idea.