Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I agree with all of this, although I don't think a change to the sub rule would stop the diving. It's done to draw attention to the "foul." I think the best remedy is to give yellow cards for simulation/diving. (I also notice a lot less diving in women's soccer although it is there, too).

I would be in favor of a free substitution for head injuries while they see if the player can continue or not. But otherwise I don't have a real problem with how it works now for injuries. The time is added back on at the end of the half, and sometimes you just have to play a man (or woman) down while a player gets treatment on the sideline.
    538 did an analysis of stoppage time for the last men's world cup, and showed that almost universally, the stoppage time is much less than actual stoppage of play. So, there's still incentive to fake injuries for an extended period if you're trying to waste time. I think there was literally only one game were the stoppage time given at the end of the game exceeded the actual "stopped play" time that the 538 guys calculated. Players and coaches know this. Why it's that way, I have no idea.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Reminds me of this SNL sketch from about 35 years ago.

https://vimeo.com/94507581
    HA! That's awesome! See?, chess just needs more brawls!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wow, SNL really was funny once!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow, SNL really was funny once!
    I thought Tom B was going to link to this one: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...nament/3505907

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    538 did an analysis of stoppage time for the last men's world cup, and showed that almost universally, the stoppage time is much less than actual stoppage of play. So, there's still incentive to fake injuries for an extended period if you're trying to waste time. I think there was literally only one game were the stoppage time given at the end of the game exceeded the actual "stopped play" time that the 538 guys calculated. Players and coaches know this. Why it's that way, I have no idea.
    Gee, if only there was some way other than the subjective judgment of one human being to keep track of time.

Perhaps they can try starting and stopping clocks in other sports. See if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Gee, if only there was some way other than the subjective judgment of one human being to keep track of time.

Perhaps they can try starting and stopping clocks in other sports. See if it works.
    I haven't really seen good answers as to why soccer doesn't implement a true game clock, but there iss an infuriating charm to the way the clock is managed. Implicit in the vagueness of it is that the entire match matters, and not, like it sometimes seems in basketball, just the last 20 seconds (that take 10 minutes to play).

Another day, another VAR mess. Again, it was the VAR noticing a goalie coming off her line a fraction of a second early on a PK. It is hard enough to save a PK anyway, this VR mess is really making the game worse.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I haven't really seen good answers as to why soccer doesn't implement a true game clock, but there iss an infuriating charm to the way the clock is managed. Implicit in the vagueness of it is that the entire match matters, and not, like it sometimes seems in basketball, just the last 20 seconds (that take 10 minutes to play).
    The explanation I was given 30 years ago when I became a certified referee was to allow the referee to have total control over the clock and to eliminate the need for expensive timing systems to host a game. Stoppage time was done so a referee wouldn't have to remember to start/stop his watch between plays and potentially forget. Ultimately, If you have a referee with a watch, you're in compliance with FIFA. Our instructor told us essentially "the half is over when the referee says the teams have played 45 minutes, and whatever the referee says is a full half is all that matters."

College soccer time is kept in the pressbox and a countdown clock is used, and youth soccer games typically don't have injury time due to fields being booked back to back.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    The explanation I was given 30 years ago when I became a certified referee was to allow the referee to have total control over the clock and to eliminate the need for expensive timing systems to host a game. Stoppage time was done so a referee wouldn't have to remember to start/stop his watch between plays and potentially forget. Ultimately, If you have a referee with a watch, you're in compliance with FIFA. Our instructor told us essentially "the half is over when the referee says the teams have played 45 minutes, and whatever the referee says is a full half is all that matters."

College soccer time is kept in the pressbox and a countdown clock is used, and youth soccer games typically don't have injury time due to fields being booked back to back.
    right - FIFA used to make the argument that the game is played the same everywhere, whether the world cup or a dirt field in a poor village. But goal line technology and VAR belie that notion.

Meanwhile game time today! Just as well, it's Shut Up and Play time, too much talk about past US vs Sweden tiffs, who respects whom, just the usual posturing nonsense...citing sports cliche' number one, I think both teams would agree that We Respect Their Ballclub But We Don't Fear Their Ballclub. U.S. defense hasn't really been tested, might as well get a workout against the Swedes...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Another day, another VAR mess. Again, it was the VAR noticing a goalie coming off her line a fraction of a second early on a PK. It is hard enough to save a PK anyway, this VR mess is really making the game worse.
    I'm not the first to suggest this (and this isn't the first time I've suggested it) but my view on instant replay in all cases for all sports: ban slow-motion. You get 30 seconds to rewatch the play from various angles at real time. If it is too close to tell, the call on the field stands. This makes replay only useful for egregious/obvious errors, and avoids stupid stuff like this. Possibly allow longer review time and slow motion for reviewing fights to see who should be penalized. No more "did the reciever bobble the ball 2 millimeters to the left as he went out of bounds", no more "did the goalkeeper move 1 video frame too early", no more 5 minute reviews of who the ball went out of bounds off of at the end of games.

As far as the talk about substitutions and clock management...it is fine how it is. It makes the game more free-flowing. Not knowing exactly when the ref will blow their whistle also changes the tactics of the team with a lead at the end of games in (I think) a positive way. Officials will also typically let an attacking team finish an attack if they are in scoring position towards the end of added time. Substitutions? I think specialization is a detriment to pretty much every sport. Limiting substitutions prevents excessive specialization, so I'm in favor. An extra bit of strategy there. FWIW, friendlies typically have 6 subs I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I thought Tom B was going to link to this one: https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...nament/3505907
    Ha! Another good one.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Solid start. 1-0 at the half. Going to be a tough win.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Solid start. 1-0 at the half. Going to be a tough win.
    Now 2-0 on a goal by Tobin Heath from a sick angle.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Now 2-0 on a goal by Tobin Heath from a sick angle.
    Apparently that's now an own goal. which is stupid.

Wow...looking at the box score a few things stand out.

16-7 on shots
    63% to 37% time of possession
    82% to 67% pass accuracy
    5 to 2 corners

Apparently that's now an own goal. which is stupid.
    does seem illogical when someone unleashes a shot like that...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    does seem illogical when someone unleashes a shot like that...
    What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What happened?
    well, here's the goal:
    https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1550970435853

Lloyd, in an offside position causes Linda Sembrandt to push the ball wide to Tobin Heath, who just puts in at a ridiculous angle. Apparently the ball touched the defender (Andersson) and FIFA ruled it an OG.

well, here's the goal:
    https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1550970435853

Lloyd, in an offside position causes Linda Sembrandt to push the ball wide to Tobin Heath, who just puts in at a ridiculous angle. Apparently the ball touched the defender (Andersson) and FIFA ruled it an OG.
    Looks like a reasonable OG to me...I'm not even confident it was a shot. Would have been well wide of goal if not for the defender chipping it in though.