scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

No "official" social media confirmation of Marques' departure... odd, no?

Duke typically goes all out in acknowledging, embracing, and appreciating players who are leaving for the NBA draft early, especially in the recent OAD streak. Heck, last season we did the whole social media announcement production for guys like Gary Trent and Trevon Duval for whom it seemed (from an outside perspective) the program wasn't all that happy about leaving early given they weren't first rounders. We already did it this year for Zion, Cam, and RJ. Heck, the last time we had a guy "test" the waters and stay, Frank Jackson, I believe (if memory serves) we still did a "farewell" tour on social media.

That's what the silence from Duke about Marques' decision very unusual. There's been nothing official from Duke on FB, and from what I can tell Twitter or IG, about him leaving (not even a simple "appreciation/congratulations!" post if he didn't want to do the whole production). Meanwhile, we did make an official announcement about Javin coming back. Now IN NO WAY am I implying anything nefarious/passive aggressive/etc. at play here, or that there's something going on with Marques' decision we don't know about... just that given that context, this seems quite odd. After all, it's been almost two weeks since the decision was made public. Anyone with any thoughts as to what might be at play here, or am I just being paranoid?

P.S. For some further context: Michigan was obviously not expecting Jordan Poole or Iggy Brazdeikis to enter the draft (both are looking at potentially going undrafted at the moment), let alone stay in it. Obviously the Beilein departure made things different, but even still, the Michigan social media accounts went all out with "thank you!" posts for both players as soon as they made their intentions to stay in the draft known. Not saying that it's right or wrong, just that it's a contrast to what is going on with Marques.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

They did post a tweet wishing him luck in the NBA

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1134097459771109377

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by KrzyzewskivilleBum View Post
    They did post a tweet wishing him luck in the NBA

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1134097459771109377
    Ahh, thanks! I completely missed that. I’m guessing then he just didn’t want to do the whole production like the freshmen

Here’s K:
    “We are really happy with Marques staying in, as he got some good, positive feedback.“

https://nsjonline.com/article/2019/06/blue-devils-relying-on-returning-veterans-for-next-season/