RIP Dr John "Mac"

Yeah, this one really hurts. Sail on, Night Tripper.

Saw him at the very first Bull Durham Blues Festival in 1988: https://indyweek.com/music/features/...connects-past/

He's credited on the score of "Bull Durham" as well -- don't recall his music in the movie.

Oh man...to paraphrase..."I was in the right place...but it musta been the wrong time...."...."just wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong..."

RIP

Crap. Nobody lives forever, but crap. A virtuoso.

R.I.P.

Here is one of the highlights of one of the two greatest concert films ever:

I saw Dr. John perform in a cafeteria at Jacksonville State U in Alabama in '73 or '74. Great show. He and the band were dressed in white with brightly colorized accessories. The opener for the show was the world-famous drummer Buddy Rich, unless I saw two shows there at different times. Buddy was stupendous. He had an ego that matched his talent.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

IMO, always underrated, Dr. John was one of the greatest musicians of his generation. His multi-instrumental talent was probably best illustrated on the ivories, where he was a master of second line rhythms and constant improv. It seemed like he never played a tune the same way twice and his hands were always playing differently.

Much thanks, for some of the best music I ever saw or heard, Dr. John!

Iko Iko. I also saw him in '88 in Durham, and several times since.