Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I was reading this morning that teams like the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics will likely have to get a third team involved to give NOP what they want. If they want an All-Star plus young prsopect plus picks, no team can accommodate that except for maybe Boston if they includes Hayward or Horford.

So the recipient of AD would have to send some of its young players to a third team in order to get an All-Star into the mix. For example, LA could send Ingram and Hart to the Wizards, then Beal, Ball and Kuzma would go to the Pelicans and AD would go to the Lakers. Seems to make a deal much more complicated.
    I saw that...what was complicated before becomes significantly more so...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, and Dennis Smith Jr. (all under contract) plus the #3 pick (presumably RJ Barrett) is a solid trade for Zion in an internal, best-for-the-organization kind of way, which is how I would look at it. Externally (in terms of selling tickets and community relations), it's a harder sell.

Also, it's a giant hypothetical without basis in reality, because why would New Orleans trade Zion at all when they still have a dissatisfied Anthony Davis? Most people here would say that Zion shouldn't be traded, but EVERYONE here would say he shouldn't be traded before Davis.
    That trade would get laughed out the room... Only valuable asset there is maybe the 3rd pick and to a lesser degree Mitch Robinson.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Bradley Beal

Has anyone seen rumors of what the Wizards would want for Beal? After seeing them salary dump Otto Porter for Jabari and Bobby Portis, I would be calling the Wizards every half hour if I were the Lakers, Celtics and others.

Would Lonzo and Josh Hart work? That leaves Ingram and the #4 for Davis.

Would Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown work?

If Beal is available, he's got to be a more interesting deal than over-paying for AD, right?

Has anyone seen rumors of what the Wizards would want for Beal? After seeing them salary dump Otto Porter for Jabari and Bobby Portis, I would be calling the Wizards every half hour if I were the Lakers, Celtics and others.

If Beal is available, he's got to be a more interesting deal than over-paying for AD, right?
    The first problem is the Wizards still don't have a GM. So there's no one to accept the call at the moment.

After that, the new GM needs to decide on one of two courses with Beal:

1) Trade him now, when his value is very high and he has two years left on his contract.

2) Keep himl until the Wizards get a look at how John Wall returns from injury.

In my opinion, the second option makes more sense. The Wizards can't just trade Beal and gun for a full rebuild--the four super-max years on John Wall's contract would inhibit any rebuild in that time. Can't clean slate until that contract is nearing completion. So IMO you might as well wait a year, see if there are signs Wall can return, and try to play them together in the last year of Beal's contract. If it works then the Wizards can compete for the playoffs in 2021 and go from there. If Wall's return isn't looking good, then you can make the Beal trade (and admittedly get less in return because Beal is closer to being a free agent), but you're also shortening your wait time on Wall's contract by a year.

That's how I would handle it. But if forced into scenario 1 of trading Beal now, I would want to maximize assets for 3-4 years from now. That means guys with only a year or two on their current contract are not as attractive. Sign & trades work better, as would a stockpile of draft picks for 2021-2023.

^ bad teams get to be bad teams (e.g. Wizards) by being poor at assessing talent...so I question if they can somehow become excel the trade front, but we'll see. Yeah, if I were looking for a deal (e.g. Beal) calling the Wizards might be fruitful.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ bad teams get to be bad teams (e.g. Wizards) by being poor at assessing talent...so I question if they can somehow become excel the trade front, but we'll see. Yeah, if I were looking for a deal (e.g. Beal) calling the Wizards might be fruitful.
    To be fair, I think most all of the Wiz issues can be traced to their now ex-GM Ernie Grunfeld who was woeful (at best) from a drafting standpoint. I can't recall a guy besides Wall or Beal who has worked out (and you could certainly argue that Wall *hasn't* worked out as he's really only had one all-nba caliber season and now the team is locked into paying him like a all-nba player for multiple years).

If they bring in the right guy, and can leverage Beal into multiple expiring contracts and compile draft picks looking towards the end of Wall's contract, they could be set up for success.... in about 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    To be fair, I think most all of the Wiz issues can be traced to their now ex-GM Ernie Grunfeld who was woeful (at best) from a drafting standpoint. I can't recall a guy besides Wall or Beal who has worked out (and you could certainly argue that Wall *hasn't* worked out as he's really only had one all-nba caliber season and now the team is locked into paying him like a all-nba player for multiple years).

If they bring in the right guy, and can leverage Beal into multiple expiring contracts and compile draft picks looking towards the end of Wall's contract, they could be set up for success... in about 4-5 years.
    Add Otto to players that worked. But then they salary dumped him? It seemed like a panic move post-Wall injury.

So the question presents itself: Are they going to continue the fire sale and trade Beal for young assets?

If so, I would think the price would be at its highest right now, with two years left on his contract and pre-draft. I'd offer him up for guys on rookie deals and draft picks. Might as well develop talent while John Wall holds you hostage.

Wiz fans have largely given up on Wall returning to All-Star form. Too many injuries to his lower body and too little growth in his game. He peaked in 2016 or so and they recognized it (but ownership didnt).

Is a team with Davis, LeBron, and absolutely nobody else (ok, Kuzma I guess) a playoff team? They need to keep at least one of Ingram or the #4...ideally both.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    The first problem is the Wizards still don't have a GM. So there's no one to accept the call at the moment.

After that, the new GM needs to decide on one of two courses with Beal:

1) Trade him now, when his value is very high and he has two years left on his contract.

2) Keep himl until the Wizards get a look at how John Wall returns from injury.

In my opinion, the second option makes more sense. The Wizards can't just trade Beal and gun for a full rebuild--the four super-max years on John Wall's contract would inhibit any rebuild in that time. Can't clean slate until that contract is nearing completion. So IMO you might as well wait a year, see if there are signs Wall can return, and try to play them together in the last year of Beal's contract. If it works then the Wizards can compete for the playoffs in 2021 and go from there. If Wall's return isn't looking good, then you can make the Beal trade (and admittedly get less in return because Beal is closer to being a free agent), but you're also shortening your wait time on Wall's contract by a year.

That's how I would handle it. But if forced into scenario 1 of trading Beal now, I would want to maximize assets for 3-4 years from now. That means guys with only a year or two on their current contract are not as attractive. Sign & trades work better, as would a stockpile of draft picks for 2021-2023.
    One/two year contracts would be attractive if they want to have some cap freedom in a couple years.

Interesting trade for Duke fans!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26981805/lakers-reach-deal-pelicans-davis

Brandon to the Pelicans?

What advice does K give 'em, besides ignoring the Big Bawlers...

-jk

Ingram Ball and 4th pick in this years draft to pelicans for Anthony Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by follyblue View Post
    Lakers keep Kuzma and can get another player for a Max contract. Could get interesting.

Now trade Lonzo, Hart, and number 4 and get number 2 or 3 for Barrett. Zion number 1... Would be worth flying to New Orleans multiple times a year!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Brandon to the Pelicans?

What advice does K give 'em, besides ignoring the Big Bawlers...

-jk
    Woj says Lakers made a deal to get Anthony Davis. Brandon Ingram to Pelicans with other players and many draft picks -- including the #4 this year.

Sources: Lakers reach deal for Pelicans' Davis
    4:39 PM MT

Adrian WojnarowskiESPN

The New Orleans Pelicans have agreed to a deal to trade Anthony Davis to the Los Angeles Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks -- including the No. 4 overall selection in next week's draft, league sources tell ESPN.

The deal represents a monster haul for the Pelicans and David Griffin, their new executive vice president of basketball operations, who maximized the Davis trade without the need to include a third team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Seems like too much to me, I guess the proof will be in the pudding next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Seems like too much to me, I guess the proof will be in the pudding next season.
    Way too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Well, Davis has only one more year on his contract. I suppose the Lakers have some assurance that he will sign a max deal with them -- they are allowed to pay more than any other team.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, Davis has only one more year on his contract. I suppose the Lakers have some assurance that he will sign a max deal with them -- they are allowed to pay more than any other team.
    It certainly helps to have LBJ's best friend as the agent. LBJ runs the NBA...amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by millerecu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by follyblue View Post
    Link to the Woj Bomb.

The Pelicans have agreed to a deal to trade Anthony Davis to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and three first-round picks – including the No. 4 overall in 2019 Draft, league sources tell ESPN.
    This is bittersweet. I finally get to root for Brandon Ingram, but it feels wrong separating an overrated, mostly irrelevant player (Lonzo Ball) from an equally overrated, mostly irrelevant franchise (LA Lakers). Lonzo, keep all Big Baller shoe samples out of the Pelicans locker room. I don't want those anywhere near Zion.

Zion, The Oak, Jackson and Ingram...looks like I will be rooting for the Pelicans....
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc