Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

#6: The Phoenix Suns select...

The New York Knicks got all the press, but the 2019 NBA Draft Lottery was unkindest to the Phoenix Suns, who saw THREE Western Conference teams jump over them to win higher picks.

While the Suns roster could be a lot better (see table below), it isn't entirely hopeless. Let us pray that DeAndre Ayton will put an end to the franchise's weird Next Big Man Savior fixation. Devin Booker is a Top 10 scorer in the league. And, prior to his foot injury, Josh Jackson showed a Fran Tarkenton level of scrambling in Miami last month when he resisted arrest and ran away from the police. The only other players under contract are Mikal Bridges, De’Anthony Melton, Elie Okobo, and T.J. Warren.

The real Suns have trade possibilities and free agency to acquire the veteran point guard they say they want, but as mock GM, I can use the 6th pick to select Darius Garland of Vanderbilt. Well, 5 games at Vanderbilt. Aside from French player Sekou Doumbouya, Garland is the one lottery pick least corrupted by the NCAA experience. (To make another football comparison, Garland is like the high school football player in the 1987 movie Summer School, who takes the bathroom pass on the first day and doesn't show up again until test day. He misses all 6 weeks of instruction and still gets the highest score.)

I imagine the Suns roster will look a lot different next year, but a Garland/Booker backcourt tandem is a decent building block.

---

Finally, here's a fun exercise. The Phoenix Suns have been in the lottery every year since 2011. What might their roster look like if they simply went with the player who was selected two picks later?

Year Suns Pick Two Picks Later
    2018 #1 DeAndre Ayton (C)* #3 Luka Dončić (PG/SF)
    2017 #4 Josh Jackson (SF) #6 Jonathan Isaac (SF/PF)
    2016 #4 Dragan Bender (PF/C)** #6 Buddy Hield (SG)
    2015 #13 Devin Booker (SG) #15 Kelly Oubre Jr. (SG)
    2014 #14 T.J. Warren (SF) #16 Jusuf Nurkić (C)
    2013 #5 Alex Len (C) #7 Ben McLemore (SG)
    2012 #13 Kendall Marshall (PG) #15 Maurice Harkless (SF)
    2011 #13 Markieff Morris (PF) #15 Kawhi Leonard (SF)
    * In 2018, Phoenix also traded for #10 Mikal Bridges (SF).
    ** In 2016, Phoenix also traded for #8 pick Marquese Chriss (PF) and drafted Georgios Papagiannis (C) at #13.

With the exception of Ben McLemore, this is a surprisingly solid Two Picks Later column. No matter who the real Suns pick at #6, watch out for #8.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'll take the field over Morant and RJ being the second and third-best players.
    Well, you don't get the field. It is not like someone is offering to trade picks #4-#60 for picks #2 and #3. The Hawks and Knicks are supposedly talking about trading #8 and #10 for #3. The Hawks have a boat load of picks this year (#8, #10 in the first round plus the 5th, 11th, and 14th picks of the 2nd round). There's almost no way the Hawks are adding 5 rookies to their roster in 2019-20 so they are going to be in the mood to make 2 for 1 trades to move up or potentially get picks in the future. I suppose that if the Hawks really, really want to move up to #3, they might even offer one of those second round picks for the #3... so that gets you closer to "the field" but still a long way from it.

-Jason "most years, I would be reluctant to deal two top 10 picks for the #3... but I think RJ is pretty likely to be a future all-star so I'd do it this year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I will periodically update the full draft list so folks can see who has been taken thus far... like this:

Round 1
    1. New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil -----> Zion Williamson, Duke
    2. Memphis Grizzlies - Dukehk -----> RJ Barrett, Duke
    3. New York Knicks - Troublemaker -----> Ja Morant, Murray St.
    4. Los Angeles Lakers - roywhite -----> Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech
    5. Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21 -----> De'Andre Hunter, Virginia
    6. Phoenix Suns - brevity -----> Darius Garland, Vanderbilt Hospital
    7. Chicago Bulls - CDu -----> Cameron Reddish, Duke
    8. Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Sekou Doumbouya, France
    9. Washington Wizards - Truth & Justice -----> Brandon Clarke, Gonzaga
    10. Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans -----> Coby White, UNCheat
    11. Minnesota Timberwolves - Edouble
    12. Charlotte Hornets - JNort
    13. Miami Heat - subzero02
    14. Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil
    15. Detroit Pistons - FerryFor50
    16. Orlando Magic -coldriver10
    17. Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan
    18. Indiana Pacers - CoBlueDevils
    19. San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat
    20. Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil
    21. Oklahoma City Thunder - accfanfrom1970
    22. Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil
    23. Utah Jazz - furniture
    24. Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
    25. Portland Trail Blazers - Gooch
    26. Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21
    27. Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan
    28. Golden State Warriors - awhom111
    29. San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat
    30. Milwaukee Bucks - Turk

Round 2
    31. Brooklyn Nets - NSDukeFan
    32. Phoenix Suns - brevity
    33. Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
    34. Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
    35. Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans
    36. Charlotte Hornets - JNort
    37. Dallas Mavericks - kAzE
    38. Chicago Bulls - CDu
    39. New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil
    40. Sacramento Kings - tfk53
    41. Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans
    42. Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
    43. Minnesota Timberwolves - Edouble
    44. Atlanta Hawks - Jason Evans
    45. Detroit Pistons - FerryFor50
    46. Orlando Magic -coldriver10
    47. Sacramento Kings - tfk53
    48. Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans)
    49. San Antonio Spurs - Billy Dat
    50. Indiana Pacers - CoBlueDevils
    51. Boston Celtics - FlyingDutchDevil
    52. Charlotte Hornets - JNort
    53. Utah Jazz - furniture
    54. Philadelphia 76ers - BobGreen
    55. New York Knicks - Troublemaker
    56. Los Angeles Clippers - Jeff Evans (via JasonEvans)
    57. New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil
    58. Golden State Warriors - awhom111
    59. Toronto Raptors - Mattman91
    60. Sacramento Kings - tfk53
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-06-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, you don't get the field. It is not like someone is offering to trade picks #4-#60 for picks #2 and #3. The Hawks and Knicks are supposedly talking about trading #8 and #10 for #3. The Hawks have a boat load of picks this year (#8, #10 in the first round plus the 5th, 11th, and 14th picks of the 2nd round). There's almost no way the Hawks are adding 5 rookies to their roster in 2019-20 so they are going to be in the mood to make 2 for 1 trades to move up or potentially get picks in the future. I suppose that if the Hawks really, really want to move up to #3, they might even offer one of those second round picks for the #3... so that gets you closer to "the field" but still a long way from it.

-Jason "most years, I would be reluctant to deal two top 10 picks for the #3... but I think RJ is pretty likely to be a future all-star so I'd do it this year" Evans
    And if I thought the same way, I would stay put at #3 and pick RJ. A lot of it just comes down to evaluation. I guess my point with "the field" comment is that I could easily see the #10 pick in this draft becoming better than the #3 pick. Or more easily than most drafts. It's a lot of parity after Zion, imo, which perhaps makes trading down the best option if you're the Knicks. As always, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Year Suns Pick Two Picks Later
    2018 #1 DeAndre Ayton (C)* #3 Luka Dončić (PG/SF)
    2017 #4 Josh Jackson (SF) #6 Jonathan Isaac (SF/PF)
    2016 #4 Dragan Bender (PF/C)** #6 Buddy Hield (SG)
    2015 #13 Devin Booker (SG) #15 Kelly Oubre Jr. (SG)
    2014 #14 T.J. Warren (SF) #16 Jusuf Nurkić (C)
    2013 #5 Alex Len (C) #7 Ben McLemore (SG)
    2012 #13 Kendall Marshall (PG) #15 Maurice Harkless (SF)
    2011 #13 Markieff Morris (PF) #15 Kawhi Leonard (SF)
    * In 2018, Phoenix also traded for #10 Mikal Bridges (SF).
    ** In 2016, Phoenix also traded for #8 pick Marquese Chriss (PF) and drafted Georgios Papagiannis (C) at #13.

With the exception of Ben McLemore, this is a surprisingly solid Two Picks Later column. No matter who the real Suns pick at #6, watch out for #8.
    Oof, that is rough for Suns fans. All teams have stories about bad draft decisions (the Wizards recent choice of Jan Vesely over Klay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard comes to mind, to say nothing of Kwame Brown) , but that one is oddly precise. I guess that bodes well for Atlanta picking at #8!

I will periodically update the full draft list so folks can see who has been taken thus far... like this:

Round 1
    1. New Orleans Pelicans - Reddevil -----> Zion Williamson, Duke
    2. Memphis Grizzlies - Dukehk -----> RJ Barrett, Duke
    3. New York Knicks - Troublemaker -----> Ja Morant, Murray St.
    4. Los Angeles Lakers - roywhite -----> Jarrett Culver, Texas Tech
    5. Cleveland Cavaliers - jacone21 -----> De'Andre Hunter, Virginia
    Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Brutal.
    Thanks... I could not resist. Does not mean I think it is a bad pick... not at all. I might have even taken him #4.

Unless of course the two top 10 picks you give up go on to be NBA all stars ...like say Dirk Nowitzki and Paul Pierce from the 1998 draft (9 and 10 respectively).

However, it's really about fit at the top of the draft unless you have a possible once in a decade pick like James, Shaq, or Zion.

The E-Bulls select Cameron Reddish, 6'8" SG/SF Duke

Well, I can't say that this pick is super-exciting. And in all honesty, it's probably not what the real Bulls will do. Their tendency has been to fill their starting lineup and call it a day, which would suggest taking a PG here. Unfortunately, this draft has like one actual PG prospect in it, and he will go #1 or #2. The available picks here appear to be bigs and wings and a shooting-guard masquerading as a PG. So, with the seventh pick, the E-Bulls of DBR select Cameron Reddish, 6'8" SG/SF from Duke.

In terms of need, it's not a perfect fit. We have Zach LaVine, Otto Porter, Denzel Valentine, and Chandler Hutchison as options at SG and SF. We also have a pretty full frontcourt with Wendell Carter and Lauri Markkanen. The PG spot is a glaring hole, but we are going to try to zig when folks expect us to zag. So rather than take the best available PG, we are going to take the guy with the most theoretical upside.

Cam Reddish was an absolute stud in high school. He was smooth and seemed effortless in his ability to make plays. The knock on him was that he seemed to take plays off and didn't always play with the urgency needed. He theoretically had all the tools: ballhandling, passing, shooting, slashing, scoring. And he has a prototypical frame for a wing, with really long arms.

The problem is that he got to Duke and seemed to not show ANY of that besides the frame. The handle looked suspect, the shooting was incredibly inconsistent, and he showed no ability to finish off the dribble.

So the hope is that last year was just a blip on the radar, and that with time to develop physically he'll eventually become an impact wing like he was in high school. If he regain his form, he's a steal at #7. And #7 is just low enough that we don't feel too bad about wasting the pick.

In terms of fit, he'd probably supplant Hutchison as the first wing off the bench. That is, unless he shows enough early to go with a starting lineup of LaVine (not a PG, but a good ballhandler and more of a lead guard anyway) and Reddish at guard. Ultimately, we feel that SG is probably Reddish's best spot given his frame, and we think he will at worst give us a dynamite defender on the wing. And if he can develop into a nice dual combo-guard pairing with LaVine while taking the tougher defensive assignment on the perimeter, then that would be a huge win for us.

And, because we are a lazy front office, we have done pretty well drafting Duke guys over the years (Brand, Deng, Duhon, Carter; JWill would have been great but for the accident), so we're counting on that magic to continue.

Now, don't make us look foolish, Cam!

With the #8 pick, the Atlanta Hawks take Sekou Doumbouya from France.

We really wanted Cam Reddish to fall to #8 and when he did not, the Hawks found themselves in a bind. Coby White is probably the best player on the board right now, but we really, really, really don't need another offensive minded point guard and even if you think White can slip over to SG, he does not have the defensive chops (and his wingspan/length is terrible) for what the Hawks need at this point.

Sekou is the youngest player in this draft and held his own in the fairly advanced French A league last year playing against men. He is 6-9 with great length and athleticism. Everyone is saying he reminds them of Paskal Siakam, though many think Sekou is more skilled at this point than Siakam was. He has really good shooting form and has shown he can shoot from 3, which is huge in a looong youngster. What's more, he has strength and the kind of body that will clearly gain some bulk, not the more typical athletic stringbean that struggles to get to a NBA weight. He's an excellent rebounder already and NBA scouts drool over his defensive potential.

He's already 6-9 and appears to still be growing. The Hawks mock-GM envisions Sekou playing alongside John Collins in a lineup where just about everyone switches everything (except tiny Tre who sticks on the opposing PG if possible).

Despite the strides the team made in 2018-19, the Hawks still think they are a year or two away from being real contenders and do not mind waiting for the young Sekou to become the stud we think he can be. We'll be spending money on free agents next summer (when we will have 2 max spots available) and think Sekou will be maturing into an impact player right around the time Tre, Collins, and a free agent or two are looking for that one extra piece to get them over the hump and into the NBA championship picture.

-Jason "curse you, CDu... we really wanted Cam" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 06-06-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Let's set the table for the Wizards:

Long-time middling GM Ernie Grunfeld is finally gone. However, there is no replacement yet. The team is rudderless. John Wall's contract will fall somewhere between risky over-payment (if he returns well from injury), and franchise-crippling albatross (if he doesn't). There is a true star in Bradley Beal, who is under contract for two more years. But aside from rookie Troy Brown and free agents Thomas Bryant and Tomas Satoransky, the team is devoid of young talent. One school of thought is to trade Beal now, while his value is high, commit to tanking until Wall's contract is over, and hope for a good team in 2023. I prefer a different route, which is to punt on one more season, draft the best player available, and hope Wall + Beal + 2019 draft pick + 2020 draft pick can compete in 2021. And since there's no GM to overrule me, that's where we'll go: for a good player with upside, but not a complete project -- someone who's ready to compete in his second year in the league.

Therefore, I'm proud to announce, that with the 9th Pick in the 2019 DBR Draft, the Washington Wizards select . . .

Brandon Clarke, 6'8" PF/C from Gonzaga University.

Clarke was an absolute stud in his sole season in Spokane after transferring from San Jose State. He averaged 16.9 points, 8.6 rebounds and an astounding 3.2 blocks with 1.2 steals in just 28.1 minutes per game. And he was an advanced metrics darling: he led the nation in offensive efficiency rating, defensive efficiency rating AND win shares, and was second only to Zion in PER and Box plus/minus. He's a defensive menace who protects the rim and can hold his own when switched on the perimeter. On offense he's a work in progress, but is a willing passer and has shown improved form on his jumper, giving hope that he can develop beyond the 27% from 3 and 69% from the free throw line that he shot last season.

At only 6'8" with a 6'9" wingspan, there are some doubts about his physical profile. But he has the best combination of strength, quickness and explosive leaping ability this side of Zion, and he's an energetic and tenacious player. He should be able to contribute on defense from day 1, with the potential to develop into a versatile inside-outside defender. If his shot improves he'll be an ideal power forward for years to come, and even if it doesn't he should be a great small-ball center. He is a bit older than other prospects at 22, meaning there may be less room to improve in the long run, but if he just sharpens his current skills, he should be a good-to-great NBA player for the next 8-10 years.

And with that, I'm done, because the Wizards don't have a second round pick, and won't have a second round pick until 2024 (unless Chicago's 2023 second round pick falls outside the 31-35 range). Thanks Ernie!

Brutal.
    Thanks... I could not resist. Does not mean I think it is a bad pick... not at all. I might have even taken him #4.
    Thanks, Commish, for adding to my deep and immediate sense of Drafter's Remorse. I should have picked Daniel Jones at #6...

After conspiring to make trouble for Troublemaker at #3 by suggesting RJ Barrett for #2, I found myself similarly frustrated at #6. That next group of 3 (Culver, Hunter, Garland) are the most likely to go #4-6, with the possibility of Coby White breaking through because of some point guard grabbing frenzy, or Lakers stupidity, or both. I didn't love Garland, mostly because I don't know him, and hoped he would be selected at #4 or #5. But once Culver and Hunter were taken -- and truthfully, I would have selected either for being the best available rather than for fit -- there was no great choice. I considered Brandon Clarke, despite a limited knowledge of Gonzaga, but it was harder to defend when the consensus #2 point guard was right there. (If I were picking for a different team at #6, like Cleveland, I would have chosen Clarke or someone else.)

Also, if I felt I could get a first-round caliber point guard or combo guard at #32, I would have, but I don't think I can. This IS a weird draft. I'm not yet convinced many teams will be able to draft for fit.

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting the Nets have traded the #17 pick to the Hawks:

Does that mean JasonEvans will go ahead and make the extra pick for Atlanta in the DBR mock draft? Because I'm seeing reports the trade can't officially be completed until July 6, after the NBA draft.

With the 10th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Coby White, PG, University of Non-stop Cheating.

Look, I know I dissed White a bit for his average length and his lack of defensive skills/effort a couple picks ago, but nothing drives me more crazy than a team that passes on a kid who has clearly fallen into their lap because, "he's not a good fit for us." It is just plain stupid. Getting a competent NBA player is really difficult to do, even in the lottery, and when a kid is clearly the best player on the board (and has been for several picks), passing on him is just dumb.

So, I'm taking a kid who has the skills to play PG but the size to play some SG too. White is a stud scorer who has NBA range and is fearless taking the ball to the hole. He improved tremendously over the year and especially since high school, which is a big deal and shows he may continue to improve. He may never start for me but he could end up being one of the best backup PGs in the league in a couple years and if we can lessen Trae's workload a bit that would not be a bad thing for a kid who is pretty small and slight by NBA standards.

-Jason "I cannot find a mock that has Coby going anywhere but #6 or #7... so I got a steal " Evans

Does that mean JasonEvans will go ahead and make the extra pick for Atlanta in the DBR mock draft? Because I'm seeing reports the trade can't officially be completed until July 6, after the NBA draft.
    Our draft order is locked. But, if NSDukeFan asks my opinion of who to pick, that is fine

Our draft order is locked. But, if NSDukeFan asks my opinion of who to pick, that is fine
    I had been hoping Brandon Clarke would fall to 17, but I guess not.

Minnesota is desperately seeking a top shelf perimeter player to pair with their superstar KAT.

Guard pickings are a shot in the dark in this draft, but at the end of the day, we are going with the most physically ready NBA prospect available to us in the late lottery.

With the 11th pick in the NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Nassir Little.

At 6'6" 220lbs with a 7'1" wingspan, the Timbies are banking that Little can develop along the same trajectory as former #15 pick Kawhi Leonard... a player who excelled on the defensive end early and gradually developed his offensive game. We are hoping to work with Little to develop his three point shot, first and foremost, and to make the most of his athletic gifts on the defensive end starting from day one.

While we were tempted to pull the trigger on another high risk, high reward prospect, Romeo Langford, we felt that Little had the higher floor with the potential to develop quickly into the solid 3-and-D player that the modern NBA covets. We hope that in a few years, Little can develop into even more.

With the 10th pick in the DBR Mock Draft, the Atlanta Hawks select Coby White, PG, University of Non-stop Cheating.

Look, I know I dissed White a bit for his average length and his lack of defensive skills/effort a couple picks ago, but nothing drives me more crazy than a team that passes on a kid who has clearly fallen into their lap because, "he's not a good fit for us." It is just plain stupid. Getting a competent NBA player is really difficult to do, even in the lottery, and when a kid is clearly the best player on the board (and has been for several picks), passing on him is just dumb.

So, I'm taking a kid who has the skills to play PG but the size to play some SG too. White is a stud scorer who has NBA range and is fearless taking the ball to the hole. He improved tremendously over the year and especially since high school, which is a big deal and shows he may continue to improve. He may never start for me but he could end up being one of the best backup PGs in the league in a couple years and if we can lessen Trae's workload a bit that would not be a bad thing for a kid who is pretty small and slight by NBA standards.

-Jason "I cannot find a mock that has Coby going anywhere but #6 or #7... so I got a steal " Evans
    This is a Duke board so I think Jason should lose his next pick in the mock draft for pandering to the enemy...or at least tell us you are going to make a mock-trade with Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Minnesota is desperately seeking a top shelf perimeter player to pair with their superstar KAT.

Guard pickings are a shot in the dark in this draft, but at the end of the day, we are going with the most physically ready NBA prospect available to us in the late lottery.

With the 11th pick in the NBA Draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select Nassir Little.

At 6'6" 220lbs with a 7'1" wingspan, the Timbies are banking that Little can develop along the same trajectory as former #15 pick Kawhi Leonard... a player who excelled on the defensive end early and gradually developed his offensive game. We are hoping to work with Little to develop his three point shot, first and foremost, and to make the most of his athletic gifts on the defensive end starting from day one.

While we were tempted to pull the trigger on another high risk, high reward prospect, Romeo Langford, we felt that Little had the higher floor with the potential to develop quickly into the solid 3-and-D player that the modern NBA covets. We hope that in a few years, Little can develop into even more.
    Ditto for Edouble...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Ditto for Edouble...
    Plus Marques is still on the table...tsk tsk.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    With the 3rd pick in the NBA draft, the New York Knicks select...

Ja Morant.

We're not really happy with the quality of this draft and tried to trade down. Begrudgingly, we took what we believe is best player available in Morant. (Dennis Smith Jr hasn't been good enough so far in his career to really make us think about positions and fit here). Everyone knows about Morant's athleticism but it's really his great passing that stands out to us; he can make all the passes required in the modern NBA with both hands and seems to have good feel and timing for them. We're also encouraged that he showed good improvement in his shooting stats between freshman and sophomore years.

We would've picked...

- Garland or White if they could pass better.

- Hunter if we were more confident he could be a creator instead of purely 3-and-D. His steal rate is also low.

- Culver if we were confident about his shot and he were more explosive

- Reddish if he didn't have such an inconsistent release and low 3-pt percentage.

Some surprising names we considered at #3 because of our lack of confidence in the other top prospects: Brandon Clarke, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander Walker.

But ultimately, Morant.

Yuck, this draft.
    What do people think about Morant's defense? Watching him in the NCAA Tournament, it seemed like he made no effort whatsoever. Didn't stay with his man, never raised his arms, etc. His rebond numbers were good for a PG only because he was usually closer to the basket than you'd expect. I love his motor an PG skills on O, but IMHO he will get abused on the defensive end.