Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I did not realize until reading this article, that Shaun Wilson suffered a leg injury while serving on the punt coverage team the other night. He was rolled up on by a teammate. This injury significantly impacts his chances of making the 53 man roster.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post
    NFL passer ratings for the first round rookie QBs after 2 preseason games:

Jones -- 151.8

Murray -- 67.6

Haskins -- 63.2

Giants fans calling for GM Dave Gettleman to be run out of town after the draft seem to be quiet for now.
    Isn't 152 pretty close to the max rating?

His passing rating is good but what does not enter into this passer rating is the fact he had 2 fumbles and they lost both of them. That doesn’t make him look so good.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It's all encouraging so far regarding Daniel, but seriously, these games are a joke...the Bears withheld something like 26 guys from the "game," which is really more like an organized scrimmage. Coaches are sick of having key guys injured
    in utterly meaningless games, so we get this junk instead...good for the rookies and young guys to show some stuff, but other than that not much can be discerned...
    That’s all absolutely true, but let’s not minimize the first part (“It’s all encouraging so far...”). Other rookie QBs are facing the same conditions and performing much, much worse (even accounting for the fumbles).

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    That’s all absolutely true, but let’s not minimize the first part (“It’s all encouraging so far...”). Other rookie QBs are facing the same conditions and performing much, much worse (even accounting for the fumbles).
    So what you are saying is we should get excited about the JV QB that is doing good amongst the JV squads. Personally, I don’t care about any other rookie QBs that are not from Duke. Kinda like saying compared to UNC, Duke is doing good. I don’t care about UNC so I will not compare Duke to them.

It's all encouraging so far regarding Daniel, but seriously, these games are a joke...the Bears withheld something like 26 guys from the "game," which is really more like an organized scrimmage. Coaches are sick of having key guys injured
    in utterly meaningless games, so we get this junk instead...good for the rookies and young guys to show some stuff, but other than that not much can be discerned...
    Yes, these are meaningless games and teams tend to hold out their best players to prevent injury. But you're still talking about players who are pro-level athletes, most who are trying to impress in order to either secure a roster slot or build their resume so perhaps they might get picked up by another team if cut. Given the circumstances, it's still a pretty impressive and encouraging stat. I think Jones was a bit of a reach at #6, but I definitely believe he was first-round material. I have a feeling he's going to do very well at this level, and it certainly doesn't hurt that he's learning under another Cut protege in Eli. I'm not a Giants fan, but will be hoping that Eli has a solid year so that DJ can observe, learn, and grow into the system so that he can comfortably take the reins a year or two down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    His passing rating is good but what does not enter into this passer rating is the fact he had 2 fumbles and they lost both of them. That doesn’t make him look so good.
    The 2nd fumble (strip sack) certainly does count against his NFL passer rating, as did the outright drop by the TE in one of his 3 incompletions last night.

It's a small sample size after 2 games, but DJ has the highest passer rating of any QB in the NFL, (including 12 current starters) for those QBs who have played more than one series.. The only 3 QBs rated ahead of him (Derek Carr, Kirk Cousins and Baker Mayfield) have thrown a total of 12 passes on one series for each of them.

Edit: The strip sack does not count against the passer rating. Got it confused with INT's.
    Last edited by texasdevil06; 08-17-2019 at 05:07 PM.

So what you are saying is we should get excited about the JV QB that is doing good amongst the JV squads. Personally, I don’t care about any other rookie QBs that are not from Duke. Kinda like saying compared to UNC, Duke is doing good. I don’t care about UNC so I will not compare Duke to them.
    Not going to say anything about the cheats, but I'm proud of Daniel. He got very bad press after the Giants drafted him early in the first round. So, I love that he's doing well. I don't care if it's against the Lexington YMCA. Daniel is a fine young man who happened to attend the best University in the country. Well in my opinion.
    Go Daniel and GoDuke!

Someone clearly got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

I only got to see one good replay of his first fumble, but it looked like the center was pulling left and his leg may have hit the ball as Jones was starting to move away. Did anyone get a good shot of it?

I didn’t express an opinion on what you should or shouldn’t get excited about. Daniel is doing well; I’m glad; it’s fine that you don’t care.

I do reject the idea that a Duke fan can be wholly indifferent to how well we are doing compared to our primary, historical rival.

First of all, I wake up on the same side, right side, of the bed every morning. Secondly, I like Daniel he is a Dukie. I do have standards and they apply to everyone. I don’t change them because it is someone I know or like. All the reports I have seen from Giant reporters is he is having difficulty taking snaps and turning right or left. Drop backs, no problem. Also, even in practices, he is having problems reading the defense. I refuse to put the guy on a mountain for the fear of him falling down. Those guys have a great difficulty getting back up. I want him to succeed but at a pace that will help him to succeed in the future. Making him feel like he is walking on water is dangerous when he falls through. The reports are he is doing good in drop back passing but his rolling out and hanging onto the ball are huge issues. So if you want to brag about that fine but to be a true NFL QB he is going to need to do all of it. So I want him to be in the right mind set, best way to successful. But if people put him on top of the world the crash usually is too much to bare. A good NFL QB needs to hold on to the ball and move in the pocket, plus drop back and read the defense well. At this time he is 1 of 4 and people have him at the best rating for a QB, a passer rating not a QB rating. Be careful...

First of all, I wake up on the same side, right side, of the bed every morning. Secondly, I like Daniel he is a Dukie. I do have standards and they apply to everyone. I don’t change them because it is someone I know or like. All the reports I have seen from Giant reporters is he is having difficulty taking snaps and turning right or left. Drop backs, no problem. Also, even in practices, he is having problems reading the defense. I refuse to put the guy on a mountain for the fear of him falling down. Those guys have a great difficulty getting back up. I want him to succeed but at a pace that will help him to succeed in the future. Making him feel like he is walking on water is dangerous when he falls through. The reports are he is doing good in drop back passing but his rolling out and hanging onto the ball are huge issues. So if you want to brag about that fine but to be a true NFL QB he is going to need to do all of it. So I want him to be in the right mind set, best way to successful. But if people put him on top of the world the crash usually is too much to bare. A good NFL QB needs to hold on to the ball and move in the pocket, plus drop back and read the defense well. At this time he is 1 of 4 and people have him at the best rating for a QB, a passer rating not a QB rating. Be careful...
    I live in New York and I am not seeing the same reports. I read the local papers and listen to NY sports radio. The reports are generally that DJ has played well in camp and winning the respect of his team (and the fans). It’s also the plan that Manning is and will be the starter this year to let DJ learn and develop, unless injury or another horrible start dictates otherwise. I think it’s true that DJ has played very well in the preseason so far, for what it’s worth, but the press, rightfully so, has also called him out on his two fumbles. It’s also true that he has played largely against backups, though he has also been playing with backup receivers, etc. It can all be true. I agree that playing well in a few preseason drives doesn’t mean or guaranty that he will be an elite starter, but I am not sure anyone is saying that. Giants fans are actually very excited about his play. They realize that the guy they booed and crucified the team for taking 6th might actually be a player. Who knows how it turns out long term. However, it could have been the opposite. Christian Hackenberg was drafted in the second round by the Jets a few years back. He was so bad they didn’t even want to play him in preseason games. In any case, at the end of the day, Jones has played well. I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying that and being excited about his play. Does it mean he’ll be a star, let alone a quality starter, no. We’ll see how it turns out. But it beats him coming out of the gate playing horribly, being labeled an instant bust, etc. Good start for him. Very happy for him. Hope he keeps it up. Let’s see what happens. Now, time for bed.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    I only got to see one good replay of his first fumble, but it looked like the center was pulling left and his leg may have hit the ball as Jones was starting to move away. Did anyone get a good shot of it?
    I watched the game. I think Jones just pulled out early and put it on the turf. Not a good play, especially in the red zone, but I wouldn’t get overly worked up over that one. More experience and comfort should cure that one. The second fumble is the one I would be worried about. He was careless with the ball and didn’t feel the pressure from his front side.

His progress is fine so far...nonetheless, it would be good for the Giants to continue starting Eli, get their OL and WR act together, and get Jones in the mix a bit later on...his chance will come probably sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Not only quiet, but the nickname “Danny Dimes” is building momentum (for DJ dropping dimes with his throws). You can see it evolving on Twitter and even to the point where he got asked about it after the game. Kind of funny. As for the game, he actually played well outside of the fumbles. Fumbles are terrible, obviously, but the more important thing is that he’s playing well. He looks poised, hitting long, middle and short throws. Getting the ball out. Can’t ask for more, and he has really turned around the fans. It’s turned into a really good situation for him. He showed his ability but can sit back and learn this year.

As for the fumbles, the fumbled snap is correctable. More of a rookie learning to play more under center. Just unfortunate that he had a great drive going when it happened. It’s preseason, so you can look past it now. The strip fumble against him was inexcusable. Rush came from his front side, didn’t feel it, and had one hand on the ball. Just can’t do that. But overall, another really good game for him.
    I think the bold portion needs to be emphasized. Did DJ ever take a snap under center at Duke? I don't think we even line up the QB under center in our goal-line packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think the bold portion needs to be emphasized. Did DJ ever take a snap under center at Duke? I don't think we even line up the QB under center in our goal-line packages.
    True, and most of the time he wasn't even in the game in the goal line package, which I often found questionable...never thought the Connette Package was all that great after Connette departed...would prefer to have the guy in at QB (Jones) who got the team down the field to the red zone in the first place.

True, and most of the time he wasn't even in the game in the goal line package, which I often found questionable...never thought the Connette Package was all that great after Connette departed...would prefer to have the guy in at QB (Jones) who got the team down the field to the red zone in the first place.
    AMEN bros, preach. The Connette package was not that good after teams got used to seeing it. We definitely used it beyond it's sell by date, and it cost the Boone teams TDs, I am sure of it. I also think we scored some TDs out of it when we were going to punch it in anyway.

I just think a hot QB is not to be replaced, period, whether you're talking about a starter rolling the team down the field on an easy drive, or a sub QB on a winning streak. Momentum is a powerful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    AMEN bros, preach. The Connette package was not that good after teams got used to seeing it. We definitely used it beyond it's sell by date, and it cost the Boone teams TDs, I am sure of it. I also think we scored some TDs out of it when we were going to punch it in anyway.

I just think a hot QB is not to be replaced, period, whether you're talking about a starter rolling the team down the field on an easy drive, or a sub QB on a winning streak. Momentum is a powerful thing.
    yeah, that was my logic...when Jones was replaced by Harris, we were replacing a very good thrower with clearly a less good one (and even a less good runner)...and eventually the teams that bothered to watch tape realized that Harris was very unlikely to throw the ball at the goal line, whereas Jones was obviously a threat. Quite befuddling, especially since Jones was by far our best throwing AND running QB.

yeah, that was my logic...when Jones was replaced by Harris, we were replacing a very good thrower with clearly a less good one (and even a less good runner)...and eventually the teams that bothered to watch tape realized that Harris was very unlikely to throw the ball at the goal line, whereas Jones was obviously a threat. Quite befuddling, especially since Jones was by far our best throwing AND running QB.
    I think Harris' advantage over Jones is that he can scramble - he's quicker on the first 10-20 yards...but Jones is stronger in tight, and obviously a better passer too. Just no reason to do it...break your momentum, try and gimmick your way into the endzone...with the same gimmick you've run 50 times in a few years. All for what? One jump pass TD per season?