Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Is that Eli Manning with the sad look on his face in the background. I would have thought he would be grinning and high fiving. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall. GoDaniel and GoDuke!
    Wasn’t from last night. Eli was in uniform and played the first series.

Sorry saw the other posts after this one.
    Last edited by duke74; 08-09-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Apology

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the correction as that went completely over my head -- not hard to accomplish.
    Like an Eli throw on a crossing route! (He no longer has the arm strength to overthrow out routes).

DJ better learn to look off of his intended targets, or else he'll be throwing a LOT of TD passes - in the wrong direction. He really stared down his receiver on that TD pass he threw last night.

Hopefully, with a little success like last night, he'll develop more confidence in his reads and feel comfortable glancing away to hold the secondary for that extra second.

So, obviously Daniel Jones had a great night last night. Jamison Crowder looked good as well (catching a TD on the opening series, do not believe he played after that).

A few other guys got in on the action.

Shaun Wilson got 4 carries for 4 yards, and had one catch for 12 yards for the Redskins (he did have another nice 19 yard catch but it was called back due to a penalty). His rushing numbers would have looked a little better if not for an ill-fated last play of the game where he went for -5 yards. He also recovered the ball after Redskins QB Woodrum was sacked and lost the ball, so a nice heads up play there. Was in for some kick and punt returns.

T.J. Rahming, also for the Redskins, didn't do much but had 4 targets (catching one of them for 6 yards).

Breon Borders and Joe Giles-Harris both played for Jacksonville, with Borders logging 3 tackles and Giles-Harris with 1. Not sure how much time on the field either got because I didn't actually watch this game.

Thomas Hennessy
    snapped some balls pretty far.

Ross Cockrell did not play for the Panthers, but that may have been expected as he is returning from a pretty bad injury (it is my understanding that he is practicing though, I think they're just being careful with him). Not sure if the OL guys (Skura or Patrick) played much.

The New York press and fan base can turn on you in, well, a New York Minute.

Really glad for DJ and I expect great things. But some of the things I'm seeing on Twitter from a single series in a preseason game is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Really glad for DJ and I expect great things. But some of the things I'm seeing on Twitter from a single series in a preseason game is crazy.
    Should he falter (as rookies inevitably do) they'll be on him like jackals. I was just thinking, with his suspect offensive line and dearth of receivers, it's just like being at Duke again.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

And, obviously, to you.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Should he falter (as rookies inevitably do) they'll be on him like jackals. I was just thinking, with his suspect offensive line and dearth of receivers, it's just like being at Duke again.
    His receivers caught 5 passes in a row last night, though. I wonder if he EVER had that happen at Duke.

Newsflash people. NFL receivers tend to be better than college receivers. That's why they're in the NFL.

As someone living in New York, good for DJ after all of the craziness with being drafted #6. He has been winning over supporters in training camp, but there's nothing like live game action on TV to show people.
    Naturally, it was one preseason series in a preseason opener and you can't make too much out of it. He could look like a mess the next game out. However, with that said, he played well and everyone is now wondering when he will be taking over. Typical fan reaction, or overreaction (not just NY fan reaction). However, my main point is that can you imagine if the opposite happened? If DJ went out there and went 0-5, or 2-5 with 7 yards? He (and the GM) may not have made it out of the stadium alive. Regardless of what it means long term, he made a statement that has garnered support, given him confidence, and bought him (and the organization) a lot of breathing room to continue to develop and learn. And that is how you shut up doubters. Just play well. Now, again, that was one series. He'll have to do it over the long term. But good for him last night. Great night for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    As someone living in New York, good for DJ after all of the craziness with being drafted #6. He has been winning over supporters in training camp, but there's nothing like live game action on TV to show people.
    Naturally, it was one preseason series in a preseason opener and you can't make too much out of it. He could look like a mess the next game out. However, with that said, he played well and everyone is now wondering when he will be taking over. Typical fan reaction, or overreaction (not just NY fan reaction). However, my main point is that can you imagine if the opposite happened? If DJ went out there and went 0-5, or 2-5 with 7 yards? He (and the GM) may not have made it out of the stadium alive. Regardless of what it means long term, he made a statement that has garnered support, given him confidence, and bought him (and the organization) a lot of breathing room to continue to develop and learn. And that is how you shut up doubters. Just play well. Now, again, that was one series. He'll have to do it over the long term. But good for him last night. Great night for him.
    Completely agree with this. And, he's been carrying himself with the maturity and professionalism that we would have expected. As you note, this training camp has been successful so far - on and off the field - and all of the newspapers have reflected that. Very different than the furor surrounding the draft position.

Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Shaun Wilson had two punt returns for 37 yards with a long of 27 in the Redskins second preseason game. He also caught a pass for six yards.

T.J. Rahming has been waived.
    Bob Green

Halftime in New York: Daniel Jones 11-14 for 161 yards and a TD. However, DJ fumbled twice. I suspect his evening is finished.
    Bob Green

Halftime in New York: Daniel Jones 11-14 for 161 yards and a TD. However, DJ fumbled twice. I suspect his evening is finished.
    Shurmur was very complimentary of DJ despite fumbles. Complimented him on his recovery from the miscues and his maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Shurmur was very complimentary of DJ despite fumbles. Complimented him on his recovery from the miscues and his maturity.
    Agreed. My sentence structure could have been better. I did not mean to imply Daniel's evening was finished because he fumbled twice. I meant his evening was finished because it was halftime. Coach Shurmur stated before the game all four QBs would play.
    Bob Green

NFL passer ratings for the first round rookie QBs after 2 preseason games:

Jones -- 151.8

Murray -- 67.6

Haskins -- 63.2

Giants fans calling for GM Dave Gettleman to be run out of town after the draft seem to be quiet for now.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post

Jones -- 151.8

Murray -- 67.6

Haskins -- 63.2

Giants fans calling for GM Dave Gettleman to be run out of town after the draft seem to be quiet for now.
    Not only quiet, but the nickname “Danny Dimes” is building momentum (for DJ dropping dimes with his throws). You can see it evolving on Twitter and even to the point where he got asked about it after the game. Kind of funny. As for the game, he actually played well outside of the fumbles. Fumbles are terrible, obviously, but the more important thing is that he’s playing well. He looks poised, hitting long, middle and short throws. Getting the ball out. Can’t ask for more, and he has really turned around the fans. It’s turned into a really good situation for him. He showed his ability but can sit back and learn this year.

As for the fumbles, the fumbled snap is correctable. More of a rookie learning to play more under center. Just unfortunate that he had a great drive going when it happened. It’s preseason, so you can look past it now. The strip fumble against him was inexcusable. Rush came from his front side, didn’t feel it, and had one hand on the ball. Just can’t do that. But overall, another really good game for him.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdevil06 View Post

Jones -- 151.8

Murray -- 67.6

Haskins -- 63.2

I knew the passer rating for "Danny Dimes" would be off the chart, thanks for verifying. BTW, does anyone know if he has taken off on a scramble or read option yet?

It's all encouraging so far regarding Daniel, but seriously, these games are a joke...the Bears withheld something like 26 guys from the "game," which is really more like an organized scrimmage. Coaches are sick of having key guys injured
    in utterly meaningless games, so we get this junk instead...good for the rookies and young guys to show some stuff, but other than that not much can be discerned...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I knew the passer rating for "Danny Dimes" would be off the chart, thanks for verifying. BTW, does anyone know if he has taken off on a scramble or read option yet?
    Strictly in the pocket for now. Giants fan board commenters are convinced Shurmur is keeping DJ's ability to move under wraps for now.