Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, that was my logic...when Jones was replaced by Harris, we were replacing a very good thrower with clearly a less good one (and even a less good runner)...and eventually the teams that bothered to watch tape realized that Harris was very unlikely to throw the ball at the goal line, whereas Jones was obviously a threat. Quite befuddling, especially since Jones was by far our best throwing AND running QB.
    I think good Duke football players have to play. It is sometimes difficult to get second and third QBs on the field. I accept that as a positive for a goal-line offense.

Now, Spurrier, wherever he coached, seemed to play more than one quarterback. He'd get a wild idea for a play, turn to the sub QB next to him, and say "Go in and run "XYZ shift!" That doesn't happen when you are calling plays from the booth.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think good Duke football players have to play. It is sometimes difficult to get second and third QBs on the field. I accept that as a positive for a goal-line offense.

Now, Spurrier, wherever he coached, seemed to play more than one quarterback. He'd get a wild idea for a play, turn to the sub QB next to him, and say "Go in and run "XYZ shift!" That doesn't happen when you are calling plays from the booth.
    I'm all for letting subs play more (especially in hoops) - but in this case - letting a 2nd string QB run that middle school mickey mouse goal line offensive, while the first team QB is a wasted player being set out as a WR - does nothing to help get the second QB ready for real action and certainly doesn't help by keeping a WR on the sidelines - and the cost is potentially sky high, ruining the momentum of long drives.

Spurrier was a whole different situation. Loved him as coach, though he should have stuck with David Brown for the bowl game. Brown was red hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I'm all for letting subs play more (especially in hoops) - but in this case - letting a 2nd string QB run that middle school mickey mouse goal line offensive, while the first team QB is a wasted player being set out as a WR - does nothing to help get the second QB ready for real action and certainly doesn't help by keeping a WR on the sidelines - and the cost is potentially sky high, ruining the momentum of long drives.

Spurrier was a whole different situation. Loved him as coach, though he should have stuck with David Brown for the bowl game. Brown was red hot.
    Indeed, the difference was that with Spurrier you rarely knew what was coming; with Cut's Connette Package, you almost certainly knew what was coming...

Dolphins just signed TJ Rahming so fingers crossed.

I don’t see how anyone could not be happy with DJones’ debut but when my glass is half-empty I top it off.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I don’t see how anyone could not be happy with DJones’ debut but when my glass is half-empty I top it off.
    Wait til that guy sees the thread dedicated just to Jones in the NFL...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Better a topper than a tosser ...

- letting a 2nd string QB run that middle school mickey mouse goal line offensive [SIC]...
    That description of our goal line offense is over-the-top.

The 2018 offense scored 31 Red Zone touchdowns, 16 passing and 15 rushing in 47 opportunities. That represents balance in my opinion.

Add in nine FGs for a .851 Red Zone success rate. Definitely room for improvement but not a dismal result.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That description of our goal line offense is over-the-top.

The 2018 offense scored 31 Red Zone touchdowns, 16 passing and 15 rushing in 47 opportunities. That represents balance in my opinion.

Add in nine FGs for a .851 Red Zone success rate. Definitely room for improvement but not a dismal result.
    It was not a description of the entire red zone offense, just of that gimmicky system, and it is a gimmicky alignment. That we scored 16 passing touchdowns in the red zone indicates that we didn't use that system as much as we might have in the past, because at most, one of those was out of this alignment, on that jump pass. My over all point is that our offense is good enough to score in the red zone without going to an alternate line up, and my point was never that the red zone O was terrible.

It was not a description of the entire red zone offense, just of that gimmicky system, and it is a gimmicky alignment.
    It might be gimmicky but it is not "middle school mickey mouse."
    Bob Green

Yeah! Middle school has graduated to Donald Duck.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yeah! Middle school has graduated to Donald Duck.
    Reminds me of when Mickey felt compelled to defend Minnie's sanity. To which they replied: "We didn't say she was crazy, we said she was f---ing Goofy!"

Goofy/gimmicky - let's just say there was some Disney Magic!

I am so happy "feck" has entered this board's lexicon.

Coach Middleton entering 7th season with Jaguars: https://www.jaguars.com/team/coaches.../ron-middleton

What other NFL coaches have Duke ties?

RB Shaun Wilson will be kept on the Redskins roster, and likely placed on IR with the expectation he returns later in the season (Source: Ben Standig)

Thanks for the great news on Shaun Wilson.
    Bob Green

Apologies if this has been reported elsewhere, but Joe Giles-Harris has survived cut day to make the initial Jaguars roster. https://www.jaguars.com/news/the-jag...e-roster-x7703

Very happy to see this after injuries apparently hurt his draft status.

Quote Originally Posted by richmclean View Post
    RB Shaun Wilson will be kept on the Redskins roster, and likely placed on IR with the expectation he returns later in the season (Source: Ben Standig)
    Officially to IR: https://www.redskins.com/news/redski...practice-squad

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Apologies if this has been reported elsewhere, but Joe Giles-Harris has survived cut day to make the initial Jaguars roster. https://www.jaguars.com/news/the-jag...e-roster-x7703

Very happy to see this after injuries apparently hurt his draft status.
    From the cited article: "The team feels good about the potential of Giles-Harris, who was solid throughout camp."

Jamison Crowder with 14 receptions for 99 yards in his debut with the Jets. He also rushed once for 4 yards.
    Bob Green

Jamison Crowder with 14 receptions for 99 yards in his debut with the Jets. He also rushed once for 4 yards.
    Yeah, I had seen where he had 7 of their first 11 receptions at one point...ended up with half of their completions and over half their yardage...but being the Jets, they lost.

Well, fumbling in his first set of downs was not an auspicious start for Daniel Jones.