Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Dukies in the NFL, 2019 Season

There is some good talk about Daniel Jones in the draft thread, but now that we are approaching the preseason I figure it is time to start talking about the prospects of the other guys out there. This was initially sparked by some good news I've heard from Panthers reports, that Ross Cockrell is participating in offseason workouts and looking good/healthy. Assuming good health, I think he is expected to compete for the starting job and figures to be one of the favorites at the position. With that good news out the way, here's who I've got for our guys in the upcoming 2019 season. If I missed anyone, don't let me get away with it!

Here are links to last season's thread and the 2019 NFL draft thread for anyone who wants to catch up on all the chatter/action!

Already in the league (some may be practice squad players)
    Daniel Jones (New York Giants, Quarterback)
    Jamison Crowder (New York Jets, Wide Receiver)
    Ross Cockrell (Carolina Panthers, Cornerback)
    Lucas Patrick (Green Bay Packers, Guard)
    Matt Skura (Baltimore Ravens, Center)
    Laken Tomlinson (San Francisco 49ers, Guard)
    Shaun Wilson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Running Back)
    Max McCaffrey (San Francisco 49ers, Wide Receiver)
    Thomas Hennessy (New York Jets, Long Snapper)
    Breon Borders (Jacksonville Jaguars, Cornerback)

2019 UDFAs competing for roster spots
    Joe Giles-Harris (Jacksonville Jaguars, Linebacker)

Daniel Helm (Los Angeles Chargers, Tight End)
    Johnathan Lloyd, (Los Angeles Rams, Wide Receiver)
    T.J. Rahming (Washington Redskins, Wide Receiver)

Guys I'm not sure about
    Jeremy Cash: Last year he was with the Cardinals before tearing his knee up pretty bad. Has he recovered/is he continuing to pursue an NFL career? I still think the Panthers did him way wrong when he was with them.

Vincent Rey: Has he officially retired? Could a team bring him in as a reliable veteran reserve?

Ross Martin: It amazes me given some of the awful kicking (and injuries to good kickers) the last couple years that Ross never got a shot. I'm guessing its over for him but maybe he's still...kickin' it.
    Last edited by pfrduke; 06-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Tampa Bay Bucs waived Shaun Wilson today:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs...b-shaun-wilson

I hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere as Wilson was one of my favorite players in recent years.
    Bob Green

Tx for starting this thread. How about Rose Cockrell with the Carolina Panthers?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Tx for starting this thread. How about Rose Cockrell with the Carolina Panthers?
    Acy mentioned him, but he was jumbled next to Jamison instead of being on the next line.

I'm hoping Ross has an exciting season for more than just wishing a Dukie success; as a Panther's fan I want to see a pick-six or two!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Former Duke FB player Ben Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

Already in the league (some may be practice squad players)
    Daniel Jones (New York Giants, Quarterback)
    Jamison Crowder (New York Jets, Wide Receiver)
    Ross Cockrell (Carolina Panthers, Cornerback)
    Lucas Patrick (Green Bay Packers, Guard)
    Matt Skura (Baltimore Ravens, Center)
    Laken Tomlinson (San Francisco 49ers, Guard)
    Shaun Wilson (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Running Back)
    Max McCaffrey (San Francisco 49ers, Wide Receiver)
    Thomas Hennessy (New York Jets, Long Snapper)
    Breon Borders (Jacksonville Jaguars, Cornerback)

2019 UDFAs competing for roster spots
    Joe Giles-Harris (Jacksonville Jaguars, Linebacker)

Daniel Helm (Los Angeles Chargers, Tight End)
    Johnathan Lloyd, (Los Angeles Rams, Wide Receiver)
    T.J. Rahming (Washington Redskins, Wide Receiver)

Guys I'm not sure about
    Jeremy Cash: Last year he was with the Cardinals before tearing his knee up pretty bad. Has he recovered/is he continuing to pursue an NFL career? I still think the Panthers did him way wrong when he was with them.

Vincent Rey: Has he officially retired? Could a team bring him in as a reliable veteran reserve?

Ross Martin: It amazes me given some of the awful kicking (and injuries to good kickers) the last couple years that Ross never got a shot. I'm guessing its over for him but maybe he's still...kickin' it.
    Ben Watson is with the Patriots: http://www.nfl.com/player/benjaminwa...506122/profile

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WatsBe00.htm

He's #25 among active players in games played: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/g_active.htm

Ben caught a TD at UVA in 1999 in Carl Franks's first win but it wasn't *the* TD that Duke made that day: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211356392

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    ... How about Rose Cockrell with the Carolina Panthers?
    A Ross by any other name ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Tampa Bay Bucs waived Shaun Wilson today:

https://www.buccaneers.com/news/bucs...b-shaun-wilson

I hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere as Wilson was one of my favorite players in recent years.
    I recall hearing positive things about him, and didn't he get some real game time at some point due to injuries? Hopefully he'll latch on somewhere, guys who can catch out of the backfield are certainly in demand in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Acy mentioned him, but he was jumbled next to Jamison instead of being on the next line.

I'm hoping Ross has an exciting season for more than just wishing a Dukie success; as a Panther's fan I want to see a pick-six or two!
    Oops...thanks to the mod who fixed that for me. News about Ross was half the reason I made the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Ben Watson is with the Patriots: http://www.nfl.com/player/benjaminwa...506122/profile

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...W/WatsBe00.htm

He's #25 among active players in games played: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/g_active.htm

Ben caught a TD at UVA in 1999 in Carl Franks's first win but it wasn't *the* TD that Duke made that day: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...CLID=211356392
    Looks like the source I used only considers the most recent school for school affiliation. Honestly, I tend to agree with that and probably wouldn't list Watson as an active NFL player even if I had thought about it while making the list. Grad transfers are a bit different, as are certain hardship-related transfers on a case by case basis (think Elliot Williams).

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    A Ross by any other name ...
    Can't spork, but fantastic work.

This kind of flew under the radar, but apparently Ross Martin signed with the Browns earlier this month. I'm not sure he'll beat out Greg Joseph for the 53 man roster, but at least he's getting another look. Still hard to believe he can't find a landing spot given the state of some teams' kicking games in recent years. I suspect distance on kickoffs might be part of the issue, but surely the reliability in field goals is valuable.

Heck, the Panthers rostered two kickers not too long ago, one for kickoffs and one for field goals (not that I recommend any other teams make such a terrible, terrible move but it isn't without precedent).

This kind of flew under the radar, but apparently Ross Martin signed with the Browns earlier this month. I'm not sure he'll beat out Greg Joseph for the 53 man roster, but at least he's getting another look. Still hard to believe he can't find a landing spot given the state of some teams' kicking games in recent years. I suspect distance on kickoffs might be part of the issue, but surely the reliability in field goals is valuable.

Heck, the Panthers rostered two kickers not too long ago, one for kickoffs and one for field goals (not that I recommend any other teams make such a terrible, terrible move but it isn't without precedent).
    Our own Blue Devils have been known to use the two kicker approach as well, of course, though we have more than 53 slots to work with.

This kind of flew under the radar, but apparently Ross Martin signed with the Browns earlier this month ...
    Source? Ross is not listed on the roster or among the transactions, that I'm seeing: https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/transactions/

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Source? Ross is not listed on the roster or among the transactions, that I'm seeing: https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/transactions/
    ...Huh. I could have sworn I saw him listed, but maybe I wasn't looking at the official team roster and the info was old (from last year). This appears to be incorrect after all, bummer.

Ross posted on Twitter about 3 weeks ago that he is still working out and hoping for another chance. He also posted a video of some recent kicks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jones is making impressions. He's the cover boy for this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...SCr?li=BBnb7Kz
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Jones is making impressions. He's the cover boy for this article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...SCr?li=BBnb7Kz
    Short excerpt:

Will this rookie No. 6 overall pick unseat two-time Super Bowl winner Eli Manning as a rookie? Don’t bank on it. But Jones is already showing out during the early stages of training camp. He’s made throws that Manning could only imagine. Arm talent has never been an issue here. We’re also going to have to wait until real game action in the preseason, but the Giants have to be impressed by what they’ve seen from the Duke product during the early stages of camp.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Classic stuff. The article says there was never any doubt about arm strength, but actually lots of people questioned his arm strength. It's just funny that Jones went from being the dumbest pick ever to a budding starter.
    Such is life in sports...if he stumbles a bit early on they'll drop him in the Hudson (metaphorically). If he wins they'll have a parade. I imagine Jones will spend the year alternating between bum and hero.

Right now the Giants don't have any receivers to throw to, so maybe Eli should keep the reigns for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Classic stuff. The article says there was never any doubt about arm strength, but actually lots of people questioned his arm strength. It's just funny that Jones went from being the dumbest pick ever to a budding starter.
    Such is life in sports...if he stumbles a bit early on they'll drop him in the Hudson (metaphorically). If he wins they'll have a parade. I imagine Jones will spend the year alternating between bum and hero.

Right now the Giants don't have any receivers to throw to, so maybe Eli should keep the reigns for the time being...
    Hmm, where have I heard something like that before when DJ has been discussed?

(scratching chin and ...)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If he wins they'll have a parade. I imagine Jones will spend the year alternating between bum and hero.
    If Eli starts out coldly, Giants fans will be clamoring for the bum. (PS...read that article, and then goto the Twitter post that is linked. It is fun to read the replies between those that are shouting DJ sucks and is doomed, and those saying he is THE FUTURE.)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hmm, where have I heard something like that before when DJ has been discussed?

(scratching chin and ...)
    https://nypost.com/2019/07/27/giants...-two-signings/

In this example, it isn't so much questioning the talent (as it was at Duke) as it is dealing with a slew of injuries and a key suspensions of WRs...they're pulling in guys off the street at this point...

No doubt the Giants seem to be short on WRs, but they do have a terrific weapon in Saquon Barkley. As a rookie, he rushed for over 1300 yards and caught 91 passes.