Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Really good article, thanks for sharing.

The 39 balls dropped must be for the 2018 season only. There is almost no way 39 dropped balls would be the most of any QB over 3 years (well, I guess maybe if there were only a handful of other 3 years starters...it certainly would not be the most for any team over that span). It would definitely be astronomically high for a single season though.
    I had wondered the same thing about the drops stat, but clearly they are talking about his career with the TDs, completions, etc...not sure what constitutes a drop anyway, maybe it's not just catchable balls but outright in and out of the hands stuff, of which we clearly saw at least 39 of those during his career.

The other stat in the article which stood out was that Jones was the only guy drafted by the NFL during his four years here/there...ouch...obviously our talent has been upgraded from pre Cut days, but we really should be doing better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I had wondered the same thing about the drops stat, but clearly they are talking about his career with the TDs, completions, etc...not sure what constitutes a drop anyway, maybe it's not just catchable balls but outright in and out of the hands stuff, of which we clearly saw at least 39 of those during his career.

The other stat in the article which stood out was that Jones was the only guy drafted by the NFL during his four years here/there...ouch...obviously our talent has been upgraded from pre Cut days, but we really should be doing better than that.
    Maybe they're using a different criteria for drops, but that would be a better-than-average drop rate in the NFL and nowhere close to the bottom. I find it borderline impossible that of the 130 teams in the FBS every single team had a better drop rate than most NFL teams. I know they're talking about career for the other stats, but I'm wondering if they were mixing/matching there. The only way I buy it is if they only looked at individual QBs instead of teams overall and only like 3 other QBs had played as many games as Jones during that time. I would guess that most college teams average at least 10 drops per season.

Meant to also comment on this specifically. I think it is definitely disappointing that we haven't seen much of an uptick in players drafted. I would hope for/expect at least one player per year. That being said, there are a few guys who might have been drafted if not for injuries.

Probably:
    DeVon Edwards
    Mark Gilbert

Maybe:
    Joe Giles-Harris

Maybe they're using a different criteria for drops, but that would be a better-than-average drop rate in the NFL and nowhere close to the bottom. I find it borderline impossible that of the 130 teams in the FBS every single team had a better drop rate than most NFL teams. I know they're talking about career for the other stats, but I'm wondering if they were mixing/matching there. The only way I buy it is if they only looked at individual QBs instead of teams overall and only like 3 other QBs had played as many games as Jones during that time. I would guess that most college teams average at least 10 drops per season.
    The one thing I do know (I think most of us would agree) that our receivers, over the past few years, have dropped an inordinate number of passes, at least several of which would have been long touchdowns.
    As such, it'll be interesting to see what an (almost) entirely new crop of WRs can do under the tutelage of a new WR coach.

The one thing I do know (I think most of us would agree) that our receivers, over the past few years, have dropped an inordinate number of passes, at least several of which would have been long touchdowns.
    As such, it'll be interesting to see what an (almost) entirely new crop of WRs can do under the tutelage of a new WR coach.
    Oh, we definitely dropped a lot of passes. I'm just saying that either that number is wrong, or stating that it was the worst in all of NCAA Football was wrong. It only comes out to ~1 drop per game, which is not great but isn't that​ bad. I could easily believe that we dropped 39 passes just in 2018 alone (~3 per game).

Oh, we definitely dropped a lot of passes. I'm just saying that either that number is wrong, or stating that it was the worst in all of NCAA Football was wrong. It only comes out to ~1 drop per game, which is not great but isn't that​ bad. I could easily believe that we dropped 39 passes just in 2018 alone (~3 per game).
    Oh I agree, I couldn't reconcile those numbers at all...but I do still have visions of Garner dropping a sure fire TD pass, and several more to boot (literally).

Oh I agree, I couldn't reconcile those numbers at all...but I do still have visions of Garner dropping a sure fire TD pass, and several more to boot (literally).
    . . . and one to a helmet!🤬

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I've seen that more than once .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I mean, the Giants won a Super Bowl that way...

I recall it was Chris Taylor who lost one off his helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I bet many on this board recall from the Spurrier days when Keith Ewell got wide open downfield and the ball hit him in the facemask...might've been the Cuthbert vs Clemmons game...but hey, Keith is now an actor and director, so his 40 year decision looks OK (despite the plunk on the helmet).

Not helmet related, but does anyone else remember Johnny Williams catching a ball wide open around midfield (like nobody within 20-30 yards of him) and then just tripping over his own feet and falling down while he was running with the ball?

The NY Post does a good job of following the Giants...numerous stories here:

https://nypost.com/tag/new-york-giants/

Duke guys to keep an eye out for tonight as the preseason gets started (some will definitely play, others may not depending on injury status and how much the teams play their starters). I'm not sure what the best legal way to watch the non-NFL Network games is, or even if there is one. Maybe local channels if you are in the area? I've put a '*' next to games/players I think are most likely to get any real amount of burn.

New York Jets "@" New York Giants (7:00 PM ET, NFL Network)*
    Daniel Jones (NYG #8)*

Jamison Crowder (NYJ #82)*
    Thomas Hennessy (NYJ #42)

Washington Redskins @ Cleveland Browns (7:30 PM ET)*
    Shaun Wilson (Washington #31)*
    T.J. Rahming (Washington #88)*

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Baltimore Ravens (7:30 PM ET)*
    Breon Borders (Jacksonville #31)*
    Joe Giles-Harris (Jacksonville #57)*
    Matt Skura (Baltimore #68)

Carolina Panthers @ Chicago Bears (8:00 PM ET)*
    Ross Cockrell (Carolina Panthers #47)*

Houston Texans @ Green Bay Packers (8:00 PM ET)
    Lucas Patrick (Green Bay Packers #62)

If I'm leaving anyone out, or someone has switched teams/been cut, or someone is injured and definitely not playing, chime in!
    Last edited by Acymetric; 08-08-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added player numbers

^ I see Hennessey is slated to make $645k or so this year...not a bad niche, one of the better money to conk on the head ratios in the game...the next Patrick Mannelley perhaps?

DJ 5/5 for 67 yards and a touchdown on his first drive as a pro. Watching Giants versus my Jets on local New York station.

Know it’s early and only the first exhibition game, but if you’re going to start you might as well start with perfection. He looked like a pro.

And, I just heard that the Jets’ TD came on a pass from Darnold to Crowder.

7-6 G-men, now in a weather (lightning) delay.
    Last edited by duke74; 08-08-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added Crowder info.

Daniel Jones goes 5-5 for 67 yards and a TD on his first drive.
    Bob Green

Two Duke TDs so far in the Jets-Giants game! Crowder with a nice TD for the Jets, and DJ looking good on the Giants' second drive (5-5, 67 yards and a TD).

Duke guys to keep an eye out for tonight as the preseason gets started (some will definitely play, others may not depending on injury status and how much the teams play their starters). I'm not sure what the best legal way to watch the non-NFL Network games is, or even if there is one. Maybe local channels if you are in the area? I've put a '*' next to games/players I think are most likely to get any real amount of burn.

New York Jets "@" New York Giants (7:00 PM ET, NFL Network)*
    Daniel Jones (NYG #8)*

Jamison Crowder (NYJ #82)*
    Thomas Hennessy (NYJ #42)

Washington Redskins @ Cleveland Browns (7:30 PM ET)*
    Shaun Wilson (Washington #31)*
    T.J. Rahming (Washington #88)*

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Baltimore Ravens (7:30 PM ET)*
    Breon Borders (Jacksonville #31)*
    Joe Giles-Harris (Jacksonville #57)*
    Matt Skura (Baltimore #68)

Carolina Panthers @ Chicago Bears (8:00 PM ET)*
    Ross Cockrell (Carolina Panthers #47)*

Houston Texans @ Green Bay Packers (8:00 PM ET)
    Lucas Patrick (Green Bay Packers #62)

If I'm leaving anyone out, or someone has switched teams/been cut, or someone is injured and definitely not playing, chime in!
    A spork-worthy effort, this list is invaluable!

Looks like Eli is starting tonight for the Giants, but I imagine Jones will get a ton of burn.
    Eli one series... 3 and out. Darnold to Jamison Crowder for the TD for the Jets, kick missed.

Jones comes in... 5 for 5 and a TD. Outstanding ball placement. Weather delay. 7-6 Giants.