Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    The task for the Giants will be made more difficult, both for Eli and Daniel, because the top 3 receivers have issues:

0) Odell Beckham Jr. is gone
    1) Sterling Shephard - Broken finger (tip)
    2) Golden Tate - 4 game suspension (appeal pending)
    3) Corey Coleman - ACL Injury - Out for the year

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    The task for the Giants will be made more difficult, both for Eli and Daniel, because the top 3 receivers have issues:

0) Odell Beckham Jr. is gone
    1) Sterling Shephard - Broken finger (tip)
    2) Golden Tate - 4 game suspension (appeal pending)
    3) Corey Coleman - ACL Injury - Out for the year

Larry
    DevilHorse
    The Giants had WR problem before any of them got hurt. Sterling Shepard is a fine player, but not a #1 receiver. Tate's a shadow of what he once was, his best days are behind him (still a respectable receiver, but also not a good option for a #1).

On the bright side, Jones should have no trouble tossing it to Barkley...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    On the bright side, Jones should have no trouble tossing it to Barkley...
    Not if other teams recognize that none of the WRs are a threat. They will put their best cover LB on Barkley and try to shut him down.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Therefore...maybe it's best that DJ sit for a while and let Eli deal with the woeful WR issue...

Per Sports Radio, during my afternoon drive, Jamison Crowder left Jets practice on a cart due to a foot injury. No additional details available pending MRI results.

Link: https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jet...berts-steps-up
    Last edited by Bob Green; 07-29-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Add link
    Bob Green

Shaun Wilson in Redskins training camp:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/7/25/...s-running-back

@P_ConnerJr
    Here's new #Redskins RB Shaun Wilson. Already crowded position but definite speed factor showed up each time I saw him.
    Good luck to Shaun!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Therefore...maybe it's best that DJ sit for a while and let Eli deal with the woeful WR issue...
    THIS...^^^^ my thoughts exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The Giants had WR problem before any of them got hurt. Sterling Shepard is a fine player, but not a #1 receiver. Tate's a shadow of what he once was, his best days are behind him (still a respectable receiver, but also not a good option for a #1).
    Golden Tate was on pace for his usual production in 2018 while with Detroit. After getting traded to the Eagles they clearly never figured out how to use him. To say he's a "shadow of what he once was" based off not getting used properly after a mid-season trade... is a huge stretch.

The Giants are certainly not strong at WR (and much less so if Tate is missing some time) but Shepard could be ready for the start of the season and no one was really counting on Coleman. They have an exceptional pass catching back and an above average TE. They should do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Golden Tate was on pace for his usual production in 2018 while with Detroit. After getting traded to the Eagles they clearly never figured out how to use him. To say he's a "shadow of what he once was" based off not getting used properly after a mid-season trade... is a huge stretch.

The Giants are certainly not strong at WR (and much less so if Tate is missing some time) but Shepard could be ready for the start of the season and no one was really counting on Coleman. They have an exceptional pass catching back and an above average TE. They should do fine.
    Ok, that was phrased a little too strongly. I think what I really meant is that he had his huge pro-bowl year several years ago and has never looked quite that good since (he has been a solid but not spectacular receiver).

"Should do fine" is relative, I guess, but it doesn't look like a team that will improve on their 2018 record to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Ok, that was phrased a little too strongly. I think what I really meant is that he had his huge pro-bowl year several years ago and has never looked quite that good since (he has been a solid but not spectacular receiver).

"Should do fine" is relative, I guess, but it doesn't look like a team that will improve on their 2018 record to me.
    It's not that hard to improve on 5 wins but they might struggle to do it.

They are eating a lot of dead money this year (like $35m in cap space on players on other teams) and they are going to eat the last year of Eli's contract instead of spreading it out. I still think they improved in a lot of important areas (offensive line in particular). 2019 might still be a struggle but I think they've put themselves in a good position going forward and hopefully that means Daniel Jones gets a good opportunity to take the lead of the team in 2020.

Without looking at the back of the jersey, which QB is which? Some Talented Mr. Ripley voodoo going on here...

Eli.jpg

Jamison Crowder medically cleared:

Rich Cimini
    ESPN Staff Writer
    Jets WR Jamison Crowder, who left practice yesterday with a foot injury, has been medically cleared and will practice tomorrow, the team announced.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Without looking at the back of the jersey, which QB is which? Some Talented Mr. Ripley voodoo going on here...

Eli.jpg
    Spoiler!

Daniel Helm picked up off waivers by 49ers:

@49ers
    · 20h
    The #49ers have claimed TE Daniel Helm off waivers from the Los Angeles Chargers. In order to make room on the roster, the team has released TE Niles Paul.
    Bob Green

ESPN's Barnwell has not softened on the pick of Jones yet by the Giants...
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...prove-2019#car

I listened to Jay Gruden question and answer session on local Sports Radio and he had some solid comments on T.J. Rahming. Gruden stated (paraphrasing) Rahming is showing flashes of being a really, really good slot receiver. He has great hands and knows how to run routes...he was very productive at Duke. The preseason games will be very important for a guy like Rahming because the things he is showing in practice have to translate to games.

Gruden's comments were in response to a question about how important preseason games would be for Rahming who is impressing in practice.
    Bob Green

NY Post on DJ

Serby calling for him to start on Thursday against the Jets:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/06/giants...hats-happened/

Interesting comments by another G-man 1st round pick, Dexter Lawrence, who happens to be DJ's roommate.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/06/giants...-is-a-godsend/

Jones's receivers dropped 39 passes during his career, and FBS best! Nice article here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/s...arterback.html

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Jones's receivers dropped 39 passes during his career, and FBS best! Nice article here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/07/s...arterback.html
    Really good article, thanks for sharing.

The 39 balls dropped must be for the 2018 season only. There is almost no way 39 dropped balls would be the most of any QB over 3 years (well, I guess maybe if there were only a handful of other 3 years starters...it certainly would not be the most for any team over that span). It would definitely be astronomically high for a single season though.