I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Fred Lind Update

I was reading the latest edition of the North Carolina State Employees' newsletter this morning and came across this photo:

FredLind.jpg

The article in the newsletter is "21 State Employees Honored with Caswell Awards for 45 Years of Public Service" and the caption is "Guilford County Chief Public Defender Fred Lind, once a standout basketball player at Duke, gets a hand with his boutonniere from Pamela Taylor Shaw of OSHR."

Congratulations to Freddy on his continuing service to the people of North Carolina.

What a great guy!

Was fortunate enough to get to know Freddy back from undergrad days; one of the nicest and funniest people I encountered at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What a great guy!

Was fortunate enough to get to know Freddy back from undergrad days; one of the nicest and funniest people I encountered at Duke.
    And apparently a great public servant. Hats off and congratulations Fred.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

One of my best friends lived in Greensboro around 1999-2002, taught and coached basketball at Page high school. I visited, got to see my only live Duke game in the second round of the NCAAT against Kareem Rush and Missouri and was able to see the Greater Greensboro Open, which I really enjoyed.
    During his time in North Carolina, he was able to see games at the Dean Dome, Wake and Cameron. This was before I was on DBR. He also got a chance to see Carolina-Duke game in Cameron courtesy of one of the parents of a player he coached. Years later, after I had learned more Duke b-ball history through DBR, he told me the parent had been an ex-Duke player named Fred Lind. I then let him know that Lind was a legend.

Triple overtime.

Still and always my favorite Duke hoops memory.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Triple overtime.
    Ah I wish there was a copy of that game. I was just a kid but I remember watching it..

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Ah I wish there was a copy of that game. I was just a kid but I remember watching it..
    I was there. It was truly magical. For 15 minutes, Fred was all world.

I was there as well, just 14 years old but already a big Duke fan.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I was there as well, just 14 years old but already a big Duke fan.
    I remember that the game was played in the middle of a snowstorm. Am I remembering it correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by olddevil View Post
    I remember that the game was played in the middle of a snowstorm. Am I remembering it correctly?
    No snowstorm for that game. I was watching on TV in Fayetteville and distinctly remember shooting hoops in the backyard after the game was over.
    Bob Green

The Carolina game in the 68-69 season was the snow storm game. Duke won and Charlie Scott was chasing the ref as the students rushed the floor. Vic Bubas last game in the Indoor Stadium which I think was renamed that season and maybe that game.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    The Carolina game in the 68-69 season was the snow storm game. Duke won and Charlie Scott was chasing the ref as the students rushed the floor. Vic Bubas last game in the Indoor Stadium which I think was renamed that season and maybe that game.
    It was renamed 1/22/1972.

An additional note on Fred, with info from wiki

One of his daughters, Caroline, was quite a rower (not to slight his other daughter about whom I don't know very much)

Lind won gold in the Women's eight for the US in the 2012 Olympics and 2008 Olympics. She has been a member of the W8+ boat in World competitions since 2006. At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Lind won a gold medal as a member of the women's eight team. It was the first gold medal for the American women's eight team since 1984. Four years later at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, Lind again won gold as a member of the women's eight team. She has won World Championship titles in 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2014 in the Women's eight. In 2014, Lind with her W8+ teammates from 2008 Olympics was inducted into the US Rowing Hall of Fame. In 2014, Lind was named Athlete of the Year by the New York Athletic Club. She featured in an article by the International Rowing Federation (FISA) on how the pain barrier is broken in competitive rowing.[2]

Education and background
    Lind graduated from Phillips Academy in 2002. In 2003, she became a national debutante, at The National Debutante Cotillion and Thanksgiving Ball in Washington, D.C. She attended Princeton University for college, graduating in 2006. At Princeton, Lind received the C. Otto von Kienbusch Sportswoman of the Year Award, given to a Princeton senior woman of high scholastic rank who has demonstrated general proficiency in athletics and qualities of a true sportswoman, as well as the Carol P. Brown Senior Woman Award by her Princeton teammates for being a source of inspiration, dedication, and perseverance in pursuit of excellence. Lind pursued an M.B.A. with an accounting concentration at Rider University, in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, graduating in December 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    No snowstorm for that game. I was watching on TV in Fayetteville and distinctly remember shooting hoops in the backyard after the game was over.
    1968: Lind a JR. 3OT. 16 points against Carolina. 70s temp.
    1969: Lind a SR. 18 points against Carolina. Another win (more of an upset). Snow.

Per this (weather discussed):

http://goduke.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...030504aae.html

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    1968: Lind a JR. 3OT. 16 points against Carolina. 70s temp.
    1969: Lind a SR. 18 points against Carolina. Another win (more of an upset). Snow.

Per this (weather discussed):

http://goduke.cstv.com/sports/m-bask...030504aae.html
    Many thanks. I had merged the two games in my memory. Vic Bubas retired way too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It was renamed 1/22/1972.
    The Robbie West game!
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Still and always my favorite Duke hoops memory.
    yup, i've got 50+ years of Duke hoops memories, but that was the most scintillating...

Played on a rec league team in High Point years ago with him. We also had Vann Williford, formerly of NC State. And we won the title..lol

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Played on a rec league team in High Point years ago with him. We also had Vann Williford, formerly of NC State. And we won the title..lol
    So you were part of the original Big Three.