Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...gns-caa-sports

I guess it's over.

Zion "-- has signed with CAA Sports, the agency announced Thursday.
    CAA basketball agent Austin Brown and CAA executive Lisa Joseph-Metelus will represent Williamson. …
    Joseph-Metelus worked closely with future Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade throughout his career, guiding much of his brand-building away from the floor.
    "
    I just listened to that clip. Jay Williams said that Jay-Z and RocNation sent a private plane to SC to pick him up for a pitch session and Zion wasn't interested so the plane turned around and flew back?!?! I clearly chose the wrong profession. I should have been an otherworldly sports god. The fanciest I feel on a plane is upgrading to economy plus for that extra 6 inches of leg room.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I just listened to that clip. Jay Williams said that Jay-Z and RocNation sent a private plane to SC to pick him up for a pitch session and Zion wasn't interested so the plane turned around and flew back?!?! I clearly chose the wrong profession. I should have been an otherworldly sports god. The fanciest I feel on a plane is upgrading to economy plus for that extra 6 inches of leg room.
    BTW, this kid turning down a private jet ride is not yet 19 years old. He has some balance in his life at a young age that seems amazing.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Zion "-- has signed with CAA Sports, the agency announced Thursday.
    CAA basketball agent Austin Brown and CAA executive Lisa Joseph-Metelus will represent Williamson. …
    Joseph-Metelus worked closely with future Hall of Famer Dwyane Wade throughout his career, guiding much of his brand-building away from the floor.
    "
    So should we blame Lisa Joseph-Metelus for not teaching Dwyane Wade basic grocery knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yeah, but if you ain't got one of the Ball brothers . . . .

(Or does their dad do all of that?)
    I didn't list him, but they represent Lonzo Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Out on the road today
    I saw a Duke Hoops sticker on a Cadillac.
    A little voice inside my head said
    "Don't look back.
    You can never look back."

Zion is like a steam locomotive, rolling down the tracks. He's gone, he's gone. And nothin's gonna bring him back. . . .
    Double duty musical references! Impressive.

PS I would have put this in a comment instead of posting, but "you must spread..." etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    So should we blame Lisa Joseph-Metelus for not teaching Dwyane Wade basic grocery knowledge?

Well, it said she was responsible for brand-building, not brand awareness.

Gabrielle Union, meanwhile, is doing some terrific brand-building here for the future Dwyane and Gabrielle reality show....

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    See also: Joel Embiid, Paul George, our very own Luke Kennard, Chris Paul, and Karl-Anthony Towns

Other notable non-basketball athletes:

Baseball: Cespedes, Buster Posey, Noah Syndergaard, Ryan Zimmerman (I don't follow baseball so I just picked a few names I recognized, there are a bunch of others)
    Football: Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, LaDainian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson (and presumably a bunch of others, they have had the most 1st round draft picks of any agency for each of the last 4 years)
    Soccer: Christiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane, Philippe Coutinho, Da Silva, various others
    Hockey: Sidney Crosby, a bunch of other dudes (I don't follow hockey much either)
    Miscellaneous/Olympic: Jeff Gordon, Bode Miller, various others

We've got some of the biggest names in every major sport represented here.
    In my post, I was just talking about folks represented by Austin Brown, not a general list of CAA clients. Brown and Lisa Joseph-Metelus will be the two CAA folks taking the lead on all things Zion.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In my post, I was just talking about folks represented by Austin Brown, not a general list of CAA clients. Brown and Lisa Joseph-Metelus will be the two CAA folks taking the lead on all things Zion.
    Fair enough, a lot of the original posts seemed to mostly just be referencing CAA generally.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just because some people are calling it an upset a) doesn’t mean they are right and b) doesn’t make them not big time. Some would argue it was an upset for Duke to get Zion yet no one would argue we aren’t big time.

CAA is particularly big in entertainment. The worlds of sports and entertainment are increasingly becoming the same, so a big entertainment agency makes perfect sense.

Please do a little homework before posting. The “ready, fire, aim” approach is not encouraged around here.
    Given that even big basketball fans probably can't name very many agencies or agents, it's no surprise that all the chatter was about the two agencies that have managed to get some recognition since they started.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just because some people are calling it an upset a) doesn’t mean they are right and b) doesn’t make them not big time. Some would argue it was an upset for Duke to get Zion yet no one would argue we aren’t big time.

CAA is particularly big in entertainment. The worlds of sports and entertainment are increasingly becoming the same, so a big entertainment agency makes perfect sense.

Please do a little homework before posting. The “ready, fire, aim” approach is not encouraged around here.
    First of all, your Duke Clemson analogy was totally backwards. In that regard, Duke WAS the big time choice, and Clemson would've been the proper analogy for CAA, as I stated.

Second of all, CAA is big in entertainment, and that might make this a brilliant choice by Zion. That said, the people who follow this (I'm not one of them) were surprised by this. That does make it an upset. An upset is not necessarily a bad thing or a bad choice. Why the problem with the term upset?

Homework done. Readied, fired, aimed...

Okay. I am reluctantly accept that Zion is not coming back. But according to info on the main page, he has a younger brother. Has he been offered a scholarship for the class of 20xx? Lock him in now!!!