Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's my wife's dream. Did you buy a kit or is it piece built?
    I built it of my own design, pretty much made it up as I went along. The windows are old ones that came from our house and a neighbor's house. I built it in about a week and a half. It is behind the building we work in, so I was able to do it on slow days.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Kudos to you. I'm definitely not that crafty.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Has anyone done anything with straw bale gardening? My step dad has done this for a few years, and had great success. Now that I have the greenhouse, I've decided to give it a go, too. I'm in the prep stage of fertilizing/composting the bales, and should be ready to plant by next weekend. We don't have as many deer as the trough cam, but we've got enough to do damage, so I had to fence in my garden.
    I'll be putting tomatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli, peppers, and beans in, plus "etc", whatever that winds up being.
    It is 12' x 14' total.

Bales.jpg

Bales2.jpg
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 03-06-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Has anyone done anything with straw bale gardening? My step dad has done this for a few years, and had great success. Now that I have the greenhouse, I've decided to give it a go, too. I'm in the prep stage of fertilizing/composting the bales, and should be ready to plant by next weekend. We don't have as many deer as the trough cam, but we've got enough to do damage, so I had to fence in my garden.
    I'll be putting tomatoes, squash, lettuce, broccoli, peppers, and beans in, plus "etc", whatever that winds up being.
    It is 12' x 14' total.

Bales.jpg

Bales2.jpg
    How often will you have to water? And where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    How often will you have to water? And where do you live?
    To start the process, the bales are watered every day, fully soaked, and every so often fertilizers are added. I've read different schedules, so there is no exact science to it. I'm winging it with what I've read.
    I live in New Bern. The woods in the backgrounds are actually 30 acres of wetlands that the city owns, loaded with deer, thus the fencing.

I planted seeds in peat pots and small containers today. They are sitting outside in the warm sun. I’ll leave them outside during the day but bring them inside overnight.

I planted Asian long beans, green beans, eggplant and bitter melon for starters.

I’ll use starter plants from the store for my tomatoes, peppers and squash. Okra will be grown from seed sowed directly in the soil but I have prep work to accomplish first.
    Bob Green

Does anyone else grow asparagus? It’s fairly easy and is a perennial vegetable. I planted 3 year old crowns about 5 years ago. If you take care of your bed, it will produce for decades. I harvested these earlier today and will grill them for dinner.

Attachment 10433

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Does anyone else grow asparagus? It’s fairly easy and is a perennial vegetable. I planted 3 year old crowns about 5 years ago. If you take care of your bed, it will produce for decades. I harvested these earlier today and will grill them for dinner.

Attachment 10433
    Pictures not working, getting an 'invalid attachment' message. I would like to see your asparagus though!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Pictures not working, getting an 'invalid attachment' message. I would like to see your asparagus though!
    F46515F1-934E-45E8-BC9B-4FDD320ED9BF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    That is some good looking asparagus all it needs is a little olive oil, salt, pepper and 15 or 20 minutes on the grill.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That is some good looking asparagus all it needs is a little olive oil, salt, pepper and 15 or 20 minutes on the grill.
    Agree. Nice spears you grew there.

I've been moving plants from the greenhouse to outside, as the threat of frost has passed. I was amazed today while transplanting this squash plant. The plant is barely two weeks old, if that. And there it is...a squash already growing on it.

BabySquash.jpg

Facts.

I was in my local garden center today. The racks of seeds were so picked over, more than half the spots were empty.
    The vegetable plants were maybe 20% of what this garden center usually has on display at this time.

One of the staff saw me looking at some stuff and asked if I needed help finding something. I told her not really, I already knew they didn't have what I was looking for. She said, well we did have some of those, but they disappeared really fast. She said that the staff there was calling it Farmageddon. Between the people in panic mode that think they all of a sudden need to grow their own food and the rest of us with extra time on our hands, they can't keep up.

I am growing two types of green beans from seed. These plants will be transplanted in about 8 to 10 days:

IMG_3190.jpg
    Bob Green

Quarantine garden planted. But like Georgia’s quarantine, it’s kinda half-arsed.

Herbs as always, plus zucchini and a variety of peppers and tomatoes.

Still way too chilly to get much in right now. But my crop of sticks along the driveway is thriving during the incessant winds of the past three days.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Supposed to be 31 tonight. First freeze in probably six weeks here. Very off spring for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I was in my local garden center today. The racks of seeds were so picked over, more than half the spots were empty.
    The vegetable plants were maybe 20% of what this garden center usually has on display at this time.

One of the staff saw me looking at some stuff and asked if I needed help finding something. I told her not really, I already knew they didn't have what I was looking for. She said, well we did have some of those, but they disappeared really fast. She said that the staff there was calling it Farmageddon. Between the people in panic mode that think they all of a sudden need to grow their own food and the rest of us with extra time on our hands, they can't keep up.
    This is illegal in Michigan.

"Large stores must also close areas of the store that are dedicated to carpeting, flooring, furniture, garden centers, plant nurseries or paint, …"

Nurseries are now non-essential in Michigan. Travel to "second homes" (many Michiganders maintain summer or vacation homes in Northern Michigan) is prohibited.