Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wandalee View Post
    R&R Cattle Services is a great place to pick strawberries. It’s in Orange County just across the Durham County border off of New Sharon Church Rd.
    Too high a risk of catching Carolina Fever. Hard pass.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I finally got some veggie seeds going in the greenhouse this weekend, a much later start than usual. A true classic mix, with lettuces, spinach, beans (both pole and bush), carrots, eggplant, peppers, and tomatoes. Also doing cantaloupe for the first time.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

question for the group....what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it....it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green..

some acidic promoter?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    question for the group...what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it...it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green..

some acidic promoter?
    we've had a big section of yard that has Big Moss come and go...as you say, it flourishes when it's moist and shady...when it get very warm and dry I'm not sure you can really promote it too much. There's a reason why moss tends to grow on the north side of trees...I love it when it gets phosphorescent green..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    question for the group...what would be a recommendation for encouraging moss growth? we have a small side yard that has been taken over by moss by about 60%...we'd like for it to completely have it...it's in the shade, has plenty of moisture and it's green..

some acidic promoter?
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    we've had a big section of yard that has Big Moss come and go...as you say, it flourishes when it's moist and shady...when it get very warm and dry I'm not sure you can really promote it too much. There's a reason why moss tends to grow on the north side of trees...I love it when it gets phosphorescent green..
    Yep, only way you'll completely have it is if the entire yard is in the shade. The backyard of our office is the same. Half is so shady that it's moss only, and the other half is so well lit that I have my gardens and greenhouse there.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Moss is nice in that it looks good and requires no mowing...not what the Scotts empire is looking to see become popular, those five step scoundrels

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Moss is nice in that it looks good and requires no mowing...not what the Scotts empire is looking to see become popular, those five step scoundrels
    Alas, it doesn't stand up to the dog very well.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Alas, it doesn't stand up to the dog very well.

-jk
    Thanks, that explains why our Milk Bone delivery receipt says it came from Scotts.

We left for France Thursday with a bunch of buds but no blooms. Neighbor sent this today.

IMG_0949.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    We left for France Thursday with a bunch of buds but no blooms. Neighbor sent this today.

IMG_0949.jpg
    this is what happens. Plus I ate all the oysters at Paul Bocuse, though I left some cheese and pastries, a few meats. Wandering the streets we ate lunch at Le Bistrot de Lyon, traditional fare, lots of French folks eating there, very enjoyable lunch. Plus incredible bathrooms.

Ah, the bathrooms! They can be interesting.

Heading to Lyon tomorrow, I’ll see if they have recovered oyster stockage. Although, it’s really the cheese and breads I am after.

I’ll look up le bistro. I found a couple vegetarian for the kid, including one with a Michelin star.

Weather is perfect.

I have my tomatoes in and they are doing pretty well now. When I planted them, they were struggling at first because the ground was too wet from all our winter rains.
    Upgraded to 3 gallon gopher baskets this year as they got stunted at 6 feet tall last year when the roots grew outside the 1 gallon baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Ah, the bathrooms! They can be interesting.

Heading to Lyon tomorrow, I’ll see if they have recovered oyster stockage. Although, it’s really the cheese and breads I am after.

I’ll look up le bistro. I found a couple vegetarian for the kid, including one with a Michelin star.

Weather is perfect.
    file a report! Hey, one of the coolest things we saw on our entire trip was a huge, truly amazing sculpture outside Lyon City Hall (Hotel de Ville)...for some unknown reason, it didn't have a plaque giving any info, but we quickly found this info:
    https://thegoodlifefrance.com/the-fa...ntain-in-lyon/

Designed by Freddy Bartholdi who designed the Statue of Liberty...really an amazing piece of art, right in the middle of Lyon...

the ceremonial laying out of the hoses will take place shortly.

Getting so close now. Tom Petty was right. The waiting is the hardest part.

betterboy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Getting so close now. Tom Petty was right. The waiting is the hardest part.

betterboy.jpg
    Nice. My yellow squash plants look really healthy and should produce soon but my tomatoes have a ways to go.
    Bob Green

This year jalapeños, mint, basil, tomato’s and strawberries.

Need to figure out something for a big sunny berm I cleared of overgrowth recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Nice. My yellow squash plants look really healthy and should produce soon but my tomatoes have a ways to go.
    I've harvested a couple of rounds of squash already. You have to get them in early here, before all sorts of Summer pests and pestilence arrive to wreak havoc.

I'm trying a couple of heat tolerant tomato varieties this year to see if I can keep some going through the South Georgia heat and humidity. We'll see how it goes. Most varieties make it to early July and just give up on life.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I've harvested a couple of rounds of squash already. You have to get them in early here, before all sorts of Summer pests and pestilence arrive to wreak havoc.

I'm trying a couple of heat tolerant tomato varieties this year to see if I can keep some going through the South Georgia heat and humidity. We'll see how it goes. Most varieties make it to early July and just give up on life.
    Have you tried opo its a gourd type squash that get huge. They grow like wildfire here in coastal s.c.
    Can't plant them by a tall tree they will climb it.you don't want 2 or 3 pound squash falling on you.
    We run a rope and train them to follow it .we plant Charleston hots a type of hot pepper under them.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Have you tried opo its a gourd type squash that get huge. They grow like wildfire here in coastal s.c.
    Can't plant them by a tall tree they will climb it.you don't want 2 or 3 pound squash falling on you.
    We run a rope and train them to follow it .we plant Charleston hots a type of hot pepper under them.
    Unfortunate sign of Fall when co-workers used to come to my office and give me Louisville Slugger sized zucchinis.