Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, that was good timing. The larger egg hatched this morning, and as expected, turned out to be an anole.

    Attachment 9531

    Attachment 9532

    Growing your own lizard in your squash is still gardening, right?
    Ha! Growing up, I would capture anoles at my grandmother's house in Sanford, NC and cart them back to Charlotte. They are entertaining animals.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Ha! Growing up, I would capture anoles at my grandmother's house in Sanford, NC and cart them back to Charlotte. They are entertaining animals.
    Yep, as a kid I had more than a few. Always loved going to the beach and trying to catch them. The further south you go, the bigger they seemed to get. In Hilton Head, there were some truly huge ones. (Damn things could bite, hard, too!)
    I'll eventually let this one go, but not here at the house. I'd love to turn him loose in the same garden his mom put him in, but my cats think they taste like chicken.

    BabyAnole3.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yep, as a kid I had more than a few. Always loved going to the beach and trying to catch them. The further south you go, the bigger they seemed to get. In Hilton Head, there were some truly huge ones. (Damn things could bite, hard, too!)
    I'll eventually let this one go, but not here at the house. I'd love to turn him loose in the same garden his mom put him in, but my cats think they taste like chicken.

    BabyAnole3.jpg
    I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.
    My garden apparently has fur. Just checked, and two tomatoes have chunks out of them, and one of my baby cukes is now a little more babyish looking than yesterday.

    I need to have a talk with my above said cats...they ain't doing their job. Guessing squirrels...but whoever it was climbed through a jungle for lunch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.
    Come down here to South Florida and we can supply all of the Iguanas you want - PLEASE!

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    PS...(and keeping on topic). I've been reluctant to use chemical pest treatments. I'm not an organic enthusiast, I love me some Miracle Gro, but I'm leery about spraying what I eat with lord knows what.
    Now, I am encouraged even more so to stick to that, since I have proof positive that dinosaurs are on my side, running around my plants, and eating the bad guys.

    BabyAnoleCover.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    We are very partial to the spray product Invisible Fence, deer and rabbit repellent...plus it contains no noxious chemicals, only things like rotten egg solution and some pepper...the deer get one taste and move on to something else, someplace else.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I eventually graduated to an iguana. But that's a story for a different thread. Now all my pets have fur.
    We had a bearded dragon when we lost power for several days in Snowmageddon, and things got cold! Our (then pilot-lit) gas hot water heater gave us a warm tub and steamy bathroom.

    Worked for a couple days, then we decamped to a friend's house...

    All for the dragon, of course!

    -jk

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    We are very partial to the spray product Invisible Fence, deer and rabbit repellent...plus it contains no noxious chemicals, only things like rotten egg solution and some pepper...the deer get one taste and move on to something else, someplace else.
    We use coyote urine. You can get it at Tractor Supply or pretty much any local hardware store. Just put it in a sprayer and spray a barrier 3 or 4 yards around the exterior of your garden. Deer and other early morning munchers will stay away.

    Word to the wise, if you decide to put it in a backpack sprayer(I had a large area to cover), make sure the seals haven't dry rotted so the stuff doesn't drip down your back the whole time. I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house.
    Commas are important! Hope the kids didn't suffer too much trauma...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    We use coyote urine. You can get it at Tractor Supply or pretty much any local hardware store. Just put it in a sprayer and spray a barrier 3 or 4 yards around the exterior of your garden. Deer and other early morning munchers will stay away.

    Word to the wise, if you decide to put it in a backpack sprayer(I had a large area to cover), make sure the seals haven't dry rotted so the stuff doesn't drip down your back the whole time. I had to burn my clothes and the kids and my wife didn't want to let me in the house.
    Ha, years ago I used to take the dogs down to urinate on the area, I would join them. Great family fun...have also used the coyote stuff, but the Invisible Fence product is so much easier to use, I strongly recommend that...does not require burning any clothes, just smells like rotten eggs, though with the spray bottle it's easy to avoid contaminating yourself.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    One of the vegetables growing in my garden is Philippine squash called Upo. Here are a couple of photos. The first is of the plant growing up the trellis and the second is of a squash hanging behind the plant.

    Upo 2.jpg

    Upo 1.jpg
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    The Underhill Garden Club is meeting chez nous today, delicious grill items will be served along with strawberry shortcake. Challenges and techniques for growing certain types of plants shall be discussed. There will be cocktails.
    Current conditions: sunny, 79 degrees, 34% relative humidity, dewpoint of 48.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The Underhill Garden Club is meeting chez nous today, delicious grill items will be served along with strawberry shortcake. Challenges and techniques for growing certain types of plants shall be discussed. There will be cocktails.
    Current conditions: sunny, 79 degrees, 34% relative humidity, dewpoint of 48.
    Those atmospheric conditions rivaled those of Raleigh in the last couple weeks, last few days, not so much.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Those atmospheric conditions rivaled those of Raleigh in the last couple weeks, last few days, not so much.
    I see Raleigh is cooler than here right now, very impressive, only 76...

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    I can claim no credit, but I thought I'd brag on my wife and her father who have been tending this plot for several years.

    Garden_June 2019.jpg

    The first few rows are lettuce, carrots are to the left and herbs to the right in the next few rows. The tall vines crawling up those metal cylinders are sugar snap peas which are obscuring the broccoli. A second plot to the left has tomatoes and pumpkins. We've been eating the lettuce and broccoli and the various herbs. The tomatoes haven't started popping yet. The carrots have never really taken but they keep trying each year. Last year we got ravaged by rabbits. This year there is a pesky red squirrel who keeps invading but he hasn't done too much damage, yet.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I can claim no credit, but I thought I'd brag on my wife and her father who have been tending this plot for several years.

    Garden_June 2019.jpg

    The first few rows are lettuce, carrots are to the left and herbs to the right in the next few rows. The tall vines crawling up those metal cylinders are sugar snap peas which are obscuring the broccoli. A second plot to the left has tomatoes and pumpkins. We've been eating the lettuce and broccoli and the various herbs. The tomatoes haven't started popping yet. The carrots have never really taken but they keep trying each year. Last year we got ravaged by rabbits. This year there is a pesky red squirrel who keeps invading but he hasn't done too much damage, yet.
    I got the name wrong in a previous posting: Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit repellent...works great, non toxic, spray your stuff early, the first nibble taken will likely be the last...saves our stuff every year...

  18. #78
    My wife ran across this male black widow yesterday under a bucket in our back yard—these spiders are ubiquitous in our neck of the woods.

    837C68BA-1603-48B2-AC1E-29C855AC7103.jpg

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    My wife ran across this male black widow yesterday under a bucket in our back yard—these spiders are ubiquitous in our neck of the woods.

    837C68BA-1603-48B2-AC1E-29C855AC7103.jpg
    They also hang out in your area...

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    My wife ran across this male black widow yesterday under a bucket in our back yard—these spiders are ubiquitous in our neck of the woods.

    837C68BA-1603-48B2-AC1E-29C855AC7103.jpg
    They get a bad rap. Sucks they live under rocks, because they are so cool looking.
    PSA...look, don't touch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •