Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Our season here is delayed from what most of you see. Still in the peak of my tomato run. Been making fresh salsa, bruschetta, even some Tomato jam.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Our season here is delayed from what most of you see. Still in the peak of my tomato run. Been making fresh salsa, bruschetta, even some Tomato jam.

Great job! Those gnarly red peppers look like they might have some kick!

For the first time ever, I planted some late season tomatoes, a variety called Heat Master. I've never harvested a tomato in October before. This year I'm going for a November one. Currently, we're experiencing mid July temps here. Tomorrow's forecast calls for 95 degrees... ironically, too hot for many varieties to set fruit.

What eats tomato buds and tops?

This year my tomato plants looked glorious but I didn't get to eat a single danged tomato because their were none! Something ate them all and would munch on the top of the plant as well. What does this to poor defenseless tomato plants?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

This year my tomato plants looked glorious but I didn't get to eat a single danged tomato because their were none! Something ate them all and would munch on the top of the plant as well. What does this to poor defenseless tomato plants?
    I am no expert, but I did watch a neighbor who is a growing savant step outside the other night with a blacklight in search of hornworms, big fat long green worms that are not nice to tomatoes...but the world is filled with savage bugs, so it could be something else, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

budwom's guess is a good one.

This is from a guide to tomato growing I wrote back when we lived in Georgia and had to deal with these:

These are green striped worms with a red 'horn' on their tail end. They can quickly devour a lot of tomato leaves. You will probably see the defoliation of tips of branches and/or the dropping pellets before you see the worm, as they are masters of disguise. You need to periodically scan your plants for these pests. You do not generally need to spray them. You can usually just pick the worms off and crush them. My children get very excited about this. If they have a lot of white casings on them, leave them alone as they are infested with a parasite moth that kills them.

I turned 40-50 jalapenos and habaneros left on my plants into "cowboy candy". They've been stewing in the beautiful sweet, vinegary, spicy syrup I made for them for several weeks. Popped them open tonight and they're hitting the darn spot on crackers with cream cheese. Very happy camper right now.

our growing season ended a long time ago, but today I noticed that the deer have foraged through the snow and eaten many of our pumpkins, a sure sign that pickings are slim out there.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    our growing season ended a long time ago, but today I noticed that the deer have foraged through the snow and eaten many of our pumpkins, a sure sign that pickings are slim out there.
    You should be harvesting your ice blocks/cubes and snow cones very soon.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You should be harvesting your ice blocks/cubes and snow cones very soon.
    Weather Advisory for freezing rain and ice accumulation, something I know NC residents have had some experience with...good thing all the vegetation kicked the bucket weeks ago

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Weather Advisory for freezing rain and ice accumulation, something I know NC residents have had some experience with...good thing all the vegetation kicked the bucket weeks ago
    They might cancel schools in our county and surrounding areas with that Vermont forecast you posted.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We decided to put up a greenhouse behind our business, so I spent the last few days building this. We used lots of old windows, and wrapped the rest in plastic sheeting. Next winter, instead of sheeting it will be filled with polycarbonate panels. That spot gets great light in the winter when all the leaves are down. In the warmer months, the plastic will be replaced with screening, and it will become a butterfly house. It is 6' x 12' x 8' tall.
    Can't wait to get some seeds going in it this week!

Outside1s.jpg

Outside2s.jpg

Inside1.jpg

Inside2.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

where does the TV go?

how does one transition between butterfly's and plants, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    budwom's guess is a good one.

This is from a guide to tomato growing I wrote back when we lived in Georgia and had to deal with these:

These are green striped worms with a red 'horn' on their tail end. They can quickly devour a lot of tomato leaves. You will probably see the defoliation of tips of branches and/or the dropping pellets before you see the worm, as they are masters of disguise. You need to periodically scan your plants for these pests. You do not generally need to spray them. You can usually just pick the worms off and crush them. My children get very excited about this. If they have a lot of white casings on them, leave them alone as they are infested with a parasite moth that kills them.

These are nasty, and quick

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    where does the TV go?

how does one transition between butterfly's and plants, if I may ask?
    TV better be battery operated, because the building is off the grid. Going to add some solar powered fans, and a solar powered water pump to feed from a rain barrel.
    For the transition, the plastic will be replaced with hardware cloth netting. Plants will still grow inside, but they'll be caterpillar and butterfly food. (The butterflies will be released, only local species.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We decided to put up a greenhouse behind our business, so I spent the last few days building this. We used lots of old windows, and wrapped the rest in plastic sheeting. Next winter, instead of sheeting it will be filled with polycarbonate panels. That spot gets great light in the winter when all the leaves are down. In the warmer months, the plastic will be replaced with screening, and it will become a butterfly house. It is 6' x 12' x 8' tall.
    Can't wait to get some seeds going in it this week!
    We started seeds this weekend!

84831869_10158245260338000_2853292842275569664_o.jpg

84279036_10158245260278000_1387250161452843008_o.jpg

with two feet of snow on the ground, the best we can come up with, vis a vis dirt and the garden, are snow fleas, who somehow travel thru the snow to hop around on the surface for some unknown reason. Bizarre little guys. (they do not bite)

We started seeds this weekend!
    I look forward to getting seeds started but I am waiting until mid-March. I tend to start too soon.
    Bob Green

What an excellent looking set up! Is that a new greenhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    What an excellent looking set up! Is that a new greenhouse?
    Yes, I built it last week. It's 6' x 12'. (There are more interior and exterior pics up above somewhere.) We decided that we spend way too much money buying flowers, so we now have a place to grow our own. I've got my herb and veggie seeds planted as well.

Yes, I built it last week. It's 6' x 12'. (There are more interior and exterior pics up above somewhere.) We decided that we spend way too much money buying flowers, so we now have a place to grow our own. I've got my herb and veggie seeds planted as well.
    That's my wife's dream. Did you buy a kit or is it piece built?