Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    I harvested one yellow squash and one zucchini this morning. Hopefully, the first of many. My plants are healthy but the squash vine borers are always lurking.
    Bob Green

Two killer frosts really hurt us. Much of the state’s apple crop is kaput and all our beech trees and elms have dead leaves. Hopefully they recover

oak and ash trees beginning to recover from frost damage, beech trees lollygagging.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I have my tomatoes in and they are doing pretty well now. When I planted them, they were struggling at first because the ground was too wet from all our winter rains.
    Upgraded to 3 gallon gopher baskets this year as they got stunted at 6 feet tall last year when the roots grew outside the 1 gallon baskets.
    Have you tried a hard plastic baby pool.
    Might not work with your set up.
    But that's how we plant and separate. Squash in one potatoes in one ect.
    Zucchini and regular squash .we have a opo trying to grow up a Bradford pear.
    But I have one of my inlaws tortoises temporarily If I dont shoo him away he tries to munch on it.soom as you let him out he bolts straight to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Have you tried a hard plastic baby pool.
    Might not work with your set up.
    But that's how we plant and separate. Squash in one potatoes in one ect.
    Zucchini and regular squash .we have a opo trying to grow up a Bradford pear.
    But I have one of my inlaws tortoises temporarily If I dont shoo him away he tries to munch on it.soom as you let him out he bolts straight to it.
    Gopher baskets are relatively easy to use. A hard barrier like a plastic pool would make the most sense for confining something you don't want to spread underground, like mint.
    I have horseradish growing in a wine barrel for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Gopher baskets are relatively easy to use. A hard barrier like a plastic pool would make the most sense for confining something you don't want to spread underground, like mint.
    I have horseradish growing in a wine barrel for that reason.
    We use them to separate for some reason i have strawberries here and there not anywhere near where i planted. I'm considering Using gutters attached to my fence posts
    To grow some things to free up yard space.
    Was thinking run gutter .then run a soaker hose along inside of gutter .
    Then put my soil in. Should be easy to keep watered .I'll probably try a 5 ft run to see how it works.
    If it goes well I could run 40 ft
    3 to 5 times . Aswell as get my lawn back .

Just treated the big hostas with bambi and bunny repellent

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Just treated the big hostas with bambi and bunny repellent
    Bobbex? That stuff really reeks.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Bobbex? That stuff really reeks.
    No. But it does stink so it tastes nasty. Basically a rotten egg and pepper solution. Very effective

I have a mostly ornamental plum tree in my front/side yard that has about 5 different good plum and pluot varieties grafted onto it.
    Success of the grafts has been mixed since we did that a couple years ago. One of them is just loaded up this year though and these guys decided they wanted to try them out before they ripen.
    thieves.jpg
    I slammed a window right after this to scare them off and then installed defensive measures the next morning.

Frankenplums!

Storm knocked a opo off they are about ready .not the biggest but decent size.
    Incase your interested in growing them.so you have a idea of the size.
    You can make a squash casserole with one.