Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Backyard Gardeners

Are there any backyard gardeners on DBR? I'm currently growing tomatoes, peppers, green beans, eggplant, squash, cucumbers and okra. I have plants growing in the ground and in pots. Here is a Husky Red cherry tomato plant I have growing in a large pot:

Cherry Tomatoes.jpg

BLTs on rye bread featuring Cherokee Purple tomatoes are a wonderful summertime meal. Blue Cheese salad dressing is my condiment of choice:

Cherokee Purple.jpg
    Bob Green

Great idea for a thread.

Pictures later, but all of mine are in pots.

Veggies/fruits I have are blueberries, three kinds of peppers, four kinds of tomatoes, two zucchini, squash, and ocra.

Herbs are sage, parsley, rosemary, oregano, dill, thyme, basil, chives, and mint.

Yes, I like to cook.

Four different blueberries, two plum trees, two apple trees, a bunch of roma tomatoes, some jalopeno, a few squash (which the rabbits are enjoying) and some potatoes.

It's fun and makes me thankful for modern supermarkets

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Four different blueberries, two plum trees, two apple trees, a bunch of roma tomatoes, some jalopeno, a few squash (which the rabbits are enjoying) and some potatoes.

It's fun and makes me thankful for modern supermarkets
    And a Partridge in a pear tree. 🎶🕺🏼🎵

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Are there any backyard gardeners on DBR? I'm currently growing tomatoes, peppers, green beans, eggplant, squash, cucumbers and okra. I have plants growing in the ground and in pots. Here is a Husky Red cherry tomato plant I have growing in a large pot:

Cherry Tomatoes.jpg

BLTs on rye bread featuring Cherokee Purple tomatoes are a wonderful summertime meal. Blue Cheese salad dressing is my condiment of choice:

Cherokee Purple.jpg
    Will any of those tomatoes sill be available for our first tailgate on 9/7/19?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Will any of those tomatoes sill be available for our first tailgate on 9/7/19?
    I will save some for you.
    Bob Green

There are so many things you can plant in the garden these days, so many wonderful things!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    There are so many things you can plant in the garden these days, so many wonderful things!
    Depends on your state of residency, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I will save some for you.
    You are a kind man (even if I proofread poorly and can't spell "still" correctly). I will be sure you're not thirsty that afternoon .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Downsized this year because of time commitments to other things. But we have onions, tomatoes, squash, garden peas, and and various herbs. Our basil is doing the best it's ever done this year.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Downsized this year because of time commitments to other things. But we have onions, tomatoes, squash, garden peas, and and various herbs. Our basil is doing the best it's ever done this year.
    Same here with the basil. I literally cannot eat it quickly enough, and I use it on everything.

First squash came out overnight, first pepper about a week ago. I've got green tomatoes coming out of the woodwork, it's gonna be a saucy summer.

One of the benefits of my Open Lawn policy (anything that grows is welcome, not gonna fertilize or poison stuff) is that I have about a 50 yard strip of thyme which grows on part of my lawn...if you ever need a few pounds of thyme and happen to be in my neighborhood, do stop by...nice flowers, doesn't grow high, thyme is a very nice yard citizen...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Same here with the basil. I literally cannot eat it quickly enough, and I use it on everything.

First squash came out overnight, first pepper about a week ago. I've got green tomatoes coming out of the woodwork, it's gonna be a saucy summer.
    Same here. Mrs. Lefthook chops it up and adds oil and other herbs and spices and freezes it into cubes in ice trays. Then, when we cook, just pop a cube out and throw it in the pot, or when I smoke something like salmon, I'll lay a few cubes on top and let it melt.

Purchase of a fishing boat has slowed down my gardening for this year, but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop. Other than that, I have basil and parsley planted and being defended from the snails with rosemary, fennel, thyme being perennials in this climate. Also have rhubarb which is evergreen here.
    tomatoes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    ...but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop.
    Those are some nice looking tomatoes. I wish you luck with your recreation efforts.
    Bob Green

Purchase of a fishing boat has slowed down my gardening for this year, but I did get my tomatoes in the ground on schedule in a bid to recreate something similar to last year's crop. Other than that, I have basil and parsley planted and being defended from the snails with rosemary, fennel, thyme being perennials in this climate. Also have rhubarb which is evergreen here.
    tomatoes.jpg
    Nice. You must have planted in March to have the tomatoes turning red already?

Something is eating my sage, not sure what. Squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Nice. You must have planted in March to have the tomatoes turning red already?

Something is eating my sage, not sure what. Squirrels?
    That's last year's pic. Plants are only 1-3 feet now and no fruit yet. They grow about 8 feet high by August. Our summer season is shifted here by 6-8 weeks from the southeast. Average high this week is 70 and low is 52. If I get a ripe tomato by July 1st, that is early. However, I usually still have ripe ones on Thanksgiving day.

That's last year's pic. Plants are only 1-3 feet now and no fruit yet. They grow about 8 feet high by August. Our summer season is shifted here by 6-8 weeks from the southeast. Average high this week is 70 and low is 52. If I get a ripe tomato by July 1st, that is early. However, I usually still have ripe ones on Thanksgiving day.
    Ok, sorry if it missed that. Will try to take a few photos tomorrow. Tomatoes coming in like gangbusters. Changes all the soil in all pots this year, improved drainage, etc. Didn’t plant until mid-April but everything is just banging right now.

tomatoes.jpg
    that's like the Berlin Wall of Tomatoes...Tear Down That Wall Mr Big Wayne!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So here's my garden, since I am finally starting to harvest a few things. I do everything in containers, which is great for weeding, not so great for maintenance free watering. And, when you are in a literal drought with back to back to back 90+ degree days, it is very high maintenance.
    I know our city water is pretty acidic, so I use rain water as much as often. To make that work, I have three rain barrels. Two are fed by gutters, and the third is simply emptied into by one barrel when it is full. I can fill a watering can very easily, and my garden is small enough that it is not too time consuming to soak everything.
    When it all runs dry, I have to rely on our hose. Bleah.
    Anyway, long story short, I am going to be doing some canning this weekend. I've got lots of cucumbers to pickle, and banana peppers ready to go. There are over 50 green tomatoes staring at me, and I'm looking forward to putting them all in jars. By summer's end, I should have about 3x that yield.
    I do have one "patio" cherry tomato plant going, simply because I love to snack on them as I water and feed everything.

IMG-4998.jpg

IMG-4993.jpg

IMG-5001.jpg

IMG-4996.jpg

IMG-5002.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."