Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Reposting this here from my FB since some folks may appreciate a little bug predatory science.

So I've got two gardens. One is at home and one is a mile down the road behind our business where the greenhouse is. They are both different; one is in containers with soil, one is in hay bales, but for the most part the same things are growing in each. It's a fun comparison experiment. One thing that is NOT fun about the home garden, though, is that aphids are everywhere! But only a mile away, there are none. In fact the greenhouse garden is basically pest free, and I haven't done squat to prevent them. And yet the home garden I've tried everything to get rid of them. I think I now know why one has them and the other doesn't.
    The greenhouse garden (and for the most part, the whole building) has a healthy population of Daddy Longlegs. Like, they LOVE being on the sunflowers, and for the most part are all over the garden. Home garden? Nary a one. I did some research, and guess what is a fav on the DLL's buffet? Damn skippy...aphids. So, I'm on a mission to bring a few home with me tomorrow, and make them fat.

DaddyLongLegs.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ugh...learning about Colorado Potato Beetles and Voles. What fun!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Ugh...learning about Colorado Potato Beetles and Voles. What fun!
    I feel your pain. My best tomato plant appears to have contracted a case of wilt... possibly Southern bacterial wilt. I am not happy about that. One day, it was a beautiful thriving plant with 12 tomatoes on it... the next day a wilted thing fighting for its life. I'm going to give it one more day to be sure and then I'll have to rip it out to prevent the spread to other plants. Social distancing for tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I feel your pain. My best tomato plant appears to have contracted a case of wilt... possibly Southern bacterial wilt. I am not happy about that. One day, it was a beautiful thriving plant with 12 tomatoes on it... the next day a wilted thing fighting for its life. I'm going to give it one more day to be sure and then I'll have to rip it out to prevent the spread to other plants. Social distancing for tomatoes.
    That damn virus. Jumping species.

Here is a photo of a nice yellow squash plant with lemon grass in front of it and you can also see okra starting to pop up:

Yellow squash, lemon grass and okra.jpg
    Bob Green

I have my first zucchini of the season. This plant is growing in a 20" pot:

Zucchini (2).jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I have my first zucchini of the season. This plant is growing in a 20" pot:

Zucchini (2).jpg
    Nice. The next hundred tomorrow?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nice. The next hundred tomorrow?

-jk
    Yes, annual right of Fall was having coworkers show up with a few dozen Louisville Slugger sized zucchinis to pawn off...but them early ones are nice...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yes, annual right of Fall was having coworkers show up with a few dozen Louisville Slugger sized zucchinis to pawn off...but them early ones are nice...
    My wife tells stories of leaving bags of them on porches when she was a kid. Of course, neighbors did the same thing, so it was a zero sum game.

-jk

I picked my first zucchini today. We've been eating squash for dinner the last several days.

First night... yellow squash mixed with lots of onion and sauteed to a fair thee well, like my Granny used to make.
    Next night... squash drenched in milk and egg, dredged in corn meal mix and shallow fried in a cast iron pan, also like my Granny used to make.
    3rd night... squash casserole
    4th night... leftover squash casserole
    5th night... took a mess of squash to my Mom, then came home and ate pizza. We needed a squash break!
    Tonight... more yellow squash and my first zucchini cut into rounds, tossed in olive oil, sprinkled with bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, and oven roasted on a cookie sheet.
    Tomorrow... not sure yet. But the zucchinis are about to break loose.

So far I've been really happy with the production I'm getting out of my little squash patch. I'm still waiting on my first tomato and cucumber, but they're getting close.

Got some tomatoes coming in now..

My garden is starting to produce now. I picked yellow squash and green beans this morning. I have three different type green beans growing on different trellis but only one type is producing so far.

My okra plants are looking good as well and my Cherokee Purple plant has a big tomato starting to ripen and seven or eight more green tomatoes with size.

Surprising that there are no eggplants growing yet but flowers are on the plants so fruit should be coming soon.
    Bob Green

Finally getting good tomatoes out here. You guys in the southeast are probably swimming in them by now. Our season starts and finishes later compared to the east.
    IMG_E1620.jpg
    IMG_E1621.jpg
    IMG_E1622.jpg

Plans are in place for a yooge BLT with monster tomatoes!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Finally getting good tomatoes out here. You guys in the southeast are probably swimming in them by now. Our season starts and finishes later compared to the east.
    IMG_E1620.jpg
    IMG_E1621.jpg
    IMG_E1622.jpg
    I like your setup there and the plants look great. What varieties do you have planted?

I've been battling wilt and blight this year and ended up switching to containers for the first time ever. The container tomatoes are doing well and have lots of fruit, but they are running very late for this zone. Tomatoes struggle to set fruit in mid July here due to the high temps so I've had to use some shade cloth. I'm determined though.

I've been raising my own veggies and fruit for a number of years and can say I have grown to respect our farmers for the job they do. For those of you who haven't tried your hand at growing your own, you should give it a try someday.

We walk into our local supermarket and see these perfect examples of the various fruits and vegetables and take it for granted, but when your start growing your own the reality is quite different. I pulled two perfect zucchini, before the plant died. The crooked neck squash plants gave a nice yield, but weren't anywhere near store quality in looks. The various variety of tomatoes are growing like crazy, with the black cherry plants doing really well. They actually look like something you'd find in a store. The heirlooms and big boys are massive in size, but just aren't as eye appealing as those you see in the stores, although they eat the same. Blueberries and blackberries are hard to mess up and I've gotten a really nice take for all my bushes. The Fuji apples and Granny Smith trees have tons of fruit if you don't mind the spots.

Let's remember to show our farmers some love and even our friends at State for giving us the high quality of food we have.

I picked four zucchini out of my backyard this morning. Two green and two gold. The tomato slices in the second picture made a tasty BLT:

Easy Pick Gold.jpgCP Tomato Slices.jpg
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I've been raising my own veggies and fruit for a number of years and can say I have grown to respect our farmers for the job they do. For those of you who haven't tried your hand at growing your own, you should give it a try someday.

We walk into our local supermarket and see these perfect examples of the various fruits and vegetables and take it for granted, but when your start growing your own the reality is quite different. I pulled two perfect zucchini, before the plant died. The crooked neck squash plants gave a nice yield, but weren't anywhere near store quality in looks. The various variety of tomatoes are growing like crazy, with the black cherry plants doing really well. They actually look like something you'd find in a store. The heirlooms and big boys are massive in size, but just aren't as eye appealing as those you see in the stores, although they eat the same. Blueberries and blackberries are hard to mess up and I've gotten a really nice take for all my bushes. The Fuji apples and Granny Smith trees have tons of fruit if you don't mind the spots.

Let's remember to show our farmers some love and even our friends at State for giving us the high quality of food we have.
    So far, my garden has been underwhelming. We are doing great on the Potatoes. Will definintely grow more next year.

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    I like your setup there and the plants look great. What varieties do you have planted?

I've been battling wilt and blight this year and ended up switching to containers for the first time ever. The container tomatoes are doing well and have lots of fruit, but they are running very late for this zone. Tomatoes struggle to set fruit in mid July here due to the high temps so I've had to use some shade cloth. I'm determined though.
    L to R, Ukrainian Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast, Brandywine, Pineapple, Brandywine, Better Boy, Brandywine, Better Boy, Celebrity, Early Girl x3, San Marzano x2.

It is very dry here so I can plant them very close together and not get any fungal diseases like I did back in Georgia.
    However, I came up with the structure by accident almost when living in Suwanee with one of its primary purposes being to deal with moisture related problems there.
    There, the structure was 3 or 4 horizontal cattle fence panels that were about 4' x 8'. I would only grow six plants in that space.
    Laying the panels horizontally lets you have easy access to reach in and work the plants. Growing them up really high lets you get a lot out of them while keeping them from getting too bushy.

Biggest tomato problem here is that it gets too cool at night. I never got really good tomatoes here until I started planting them up against an area packed with concrete and stucco that gets blasted with the late afternoon sun and holds the heat into the evening.

Well, we had a massive heatwave here a couple weeks ago with temps at 110 during the day and staying in the seventies at night to kick start the tomatoes into super ripening mode. Then we had a forest fire, but we escaped having to evacuate by about 500 yards, but mostly because of which side of the highway we live on. Plants are in full production now:

Getting 5-10 pounds of tomatoes a day. Made bruschetta, salsa, pasta sauce, tomato pie, a sort of zucchini and tomato lasagna. I think a bunch of sauce will be made tomorrow.