Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

K Academy Starts Today - let's post content here

There is usually a ton of content that comes out of K Academy. I assume Duke Blue Planet will post a bunch of photos. Doesn't K also usually do some media?

https://twitter.com/BlueDevilNation

There are already 3 video clips above, brief interviews with Grayson, Tre and Wendell Moore.

The Chronicle's @dukebasketball feed also has some pics up...Grayson, Luke, Shelden plus Vernon Carey, Matthew Hurt, etc.

@lebrownlow
    Hi all I’m at Coach K fantasy camp. Matt Jones is here looking like he went to Europe to find himself and can’t give a Luke Kennard hair update because he’s wearing a backwards hat.

K said Tre Jones has had right hip surgery and hernia surgery since the season ended. Said the hip thing was the same procedure he had on his other hip before he got to school.

@shaneocsmith
    Members of the 1986 @DukeMBB team that brought Mike Krzyzewski his first Final Four gathered with their former coach Tuesday night for a reunion dinner/group interview. Some of the footage will appear in an upcoming documentary for the new ACC Network.

(Note - if you go to these feed you can see pics of this 1986 team reunion which looks like it happened last night)

Jay BilasVerified account @JayBilas 8h8 hours ago
    An incredible crew. A great night with great teammates and the men I admire most, the 1986 Duke Basketball team: Quin Snyder, David Henderson, Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, Coach K, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, Danny Ferry, Billy King.

Aside from K...
    -4 D1 head coaches, including 2 current ones
    -1 current NBA head coach
    -2 former NBA GMs
    -A leading college basketball media figure
    -A D1 asistant coach

And then there are all the advanced degrees and whatnot. That really was a seminal collection of players.

Coach K talks to the media from K academy: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-h...more/18418780/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Coach K talks to the media from K academy: https://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-h...more/18418780/
    Lots of good stuff from K at his presser today at the beginning of K Academy. Here's one for the minutes discussion, near the end. "We have eleven players, and they all need to play. So how they fit in we don't know yet. But I expect all eleven to be able to play and contribute."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Jay BilasVerified account @JayBilas 8h8 hours ago
    An incredible crew. A great night with great teammates and the men I admire most, the 1986 Duke Basketball team: Quin Snyder, David Henderson, Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, Coach K, Tommy Amaker, Jay Bilas, Danny Ferry, Billy King.

To be more specific, the man Bilas admires the very most is the third from the right.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    To be more specific, the man Bilas admires the very most is the third from the right.

^^^^^^^😂🤣😂☺️😂🤣😂☺️😂☺️😂☺️😂🤣

Amaker looks like he could still suit up and play.

A pic shared by DukeMBB on social media. Vernon Carey looks absolutely huge.

2911EEFF-C4EF-4588-AD2D-C44E72B590EF.jpg

K seemed relaxed and in good form.

Loved his comments on walk-on Michael Savarino, and the possibility of meddlesome family members.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lots of good stuff from K at his presser today at the beginning of K Academy. Here's one for the minutes discussion, near the end. "We have eleven players, and they all need to play. So how they fit in we don't know yet. But I expect all eleven to be able to play and contribute."
    Off season over analysis and parsing alert 🙄🤣

Wow, I can interpret this statement a lot of ways.

Optimist- we have eleven players ready to play ACC level competitive basketball next season.

Pessimist- in order to be successful next season, we “need” to have meaningful contributions from all eleven players next year.

Realist- its the offseason, what else is K going to say? “I’ve picked my seven man rotation already and there are 1-2 players if they work hard could get me to stretch it to 8.”

Not knowing what the freshmen will really bring to the table, I’d say keys to the season for returning players are:

Tre- fully healthy, and a consistent 3 point shot
    Jack- return to playing like he did early last season consistently
    Javin- reduce rate of fouls
    Alex- play with the confidence that you belong out there, be a scoring threat, and play better defense
    Goldwire- continue to be a defensive menace

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    A pic shared by DukeMBB on social media. Vernon Carey looks absolutely huge.

2911EEFF-C4EF-4588-AD2D-C44E72B590EF.jpg
    For those with eyes as bad as mine, that looks like, left to right, Vernon, JRob, Tyler, Justise, Matt Jones, Alex, Joey, Tre, Hurt, Wendell Moore

K really focused on Tre in his comments and he'll be expecting a ton from his PG this coming year. He wants him communicating more which he positioned as not just talking but getting the other players to do what he says. He also wants him scoring more. He liked the fact that he'll have a seasoned group of upperclassmen and his hope for the freshmen is that they listen to the upperclassment and get the Duke culture. He also called out Moore as a kid who can play anywhere and you can tell he'll be looking to take advantage of that versatility.

As for the 11 man rotation allusion, that actually made me laugh out loud. 7 it will be, 7 it will be, every year it's very clear that 7 it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    K really focused on Tre in his comments and he'll be expecting a ton from his PG this coming year. He wants him communicating more which he positioned as not just talking but getting the other players to do what he says. He also wants him scoring more. He liked the fact that he'll have a seasoned group of upperclassmen and his hope for the freshmen is that they listen to the upperclassment and get the Duke culture. He also called out Moore as a kid who can play anywhere and you can tell he'll be looking to take advantage of that versatility.

As for the 11 man rotation allusion, that actually made me laugh out loud. 7 it will be, 7 it will be, every year it's very clear that 7 it will be.
    I actually think both can be true. K said 11 need to play, not that 11 will get 10 minutes each game or be "in the rotation". I bet if you asked him, K would say that 10 guys played this year - 8 guys got more than 14 mins per game (RJ, Zion, Tre, Cam, Javin, Marques, Jack, Alex), but other guys like Goldwire and Vrank were called upon in key situations and were asked to contribute. So splitting the baby I think it's fair to say that no one would bet on more than 7/8 guys to get regular minutes, but the others will be used by K when the situations are right, and therefore all 11 need to be ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I actually think both can be true. K said 11 need to play, not that 11 will get 10 minutes each game or be "in the rotation". I bet if you asked him, K would say that 10 guys played this year - 8 guys got more than 14 mins per game (RJ, Zion, Tre, Cam, Javin, Marques, Jack, Alex), but other guys like Goldwire and Vrank were called upon in key situations and were asked to contribute. So splitting the baby I think it's fair to say that no one would bet on more than 7/8 guys to get regular minutes, but the others will be used by K when the situations are right, and therefore all 11 need to be ready to play.
    I think you are right, and that is usually the case, but I think its hilarious that he even tries to put this kind of message out. Last year's message was how important the bench was going to be...and you are right that, at times, guys had to step up and deliver (AOC, Jordan, etc.) for us to win. But, come crunch time, best to be in that top 7, or even 6.

Yeah, Coach K's offseason expectations / comments about the upcoming team should mostly be ignored unless you're looking for comedy. Truly, when looking back, they are sometimes funnier than actual, intentional parody.

Remember when this past season's team was supposed to play a "5-out offense"? How many teams in Duke history were worse shooting or more ill-suited to play 5-out?

Remember when this past season's team was supposed to play a "5-out offense"? How many teams in Duke history were worse shooting or more ill-suited to play 5-out?
    Well, to be fair, the 5 out thing still works in this respect - you don't have a big body in a Duke uniform clogging up the lane for drives.

...the unfortunate counter being that with no elite shooters, the guys wearing the other uniforms were likely ALL clogging up the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    For those with eyes as bad as mine, that looks like, left to right, Vernon, JRob, Tyler, Justise, Matt Jones, Alex, Joey, Tre, Hurt, Wendell Moore
    It's not your eyes, this board downsamples all of the images that you attach so they appear really small/blurry. But yeah, I think you got all the players right. I was surprised how much bigger Carey is than Robinson, who is listed at 6'10.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    LOL....HARSH...VERY Harsh...but also VERY true!