Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Stanford Rowing Coach

Got no jail time.

There are certainly many sides to this story. Going around the admissions process is wrong, lying is wrong, having someone else take a test for your kid is wrong, etc. etc.

What the coach did is wrong but I do understand the sentence.

There is some conjecture in my scenario, I admit.

I would guess that about every year at budget time he is trying to get more money for his non revenue program. Here come some applicants with qualifications that as much as he can tell are better than many on his team and better than many of the other athletes at Stanford. He probably at least had heard of major major donors getting their kids in with less than stellar records. One of these applicants went Ivy League. Maybe not good enough to get into Stanford but good enough to do the work. So he gets some money for his program using admissions, just as many schools use admissions for big bucks. The pseudo athletes are more academically qualified than many real athletes.

The intersection of admission processes that favor money and athletes and the need for schools to raise money for non revenue sports.

Not justifying it but I do see how it could happen.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Got no jail time.

There are certainly many sides to this story. Going around the admissions process is wrong, lying is wrong, having someone else take a test for your kid is wrong, etc. etc.

What the coach did is wrong but I do understand the sentence.

There is some conjecture in my scenario, I admit.

I would guess that about every year at budget time he is trying to get more money for his non revenue program. Here come some applicants with qualifications that as much as he can tell are better than many on his team and better than many of the other athletes at Stanford. He probably at least had heard of major major donors getting their kids in with less than stellar records. One of these applicants went Ivy League. Maybe not good enough to get into Stanford but good enough to do the work. So he gets some money for his program using admissions, just as many schools use admissions for big bucks. The pseudo athletes are more academically qualified than many real athletes.

The intersection of admission processes that favor money and athletes and the need for schools to raise money for non revenue sports.

Not justifying it but I do see how it could happen.

SoCal
    Please give me a break. Anyone with a IQ above 6 would know that what he did was cheating his school, if not illegal. If it happened, the coach is a dunce.

No excuse for what he did, but have to say it's a heavily mitigating factor that he didn't earn a dime personally from this, all the money went to the Stanford program.

Marcia Abbott to report to federal prison January 3: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-scam-n1063831

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No excuse for what he did, but have to say it's a heavily mitigating factor that he didn't earn a dime personally from this, all the money went to the Stanford program.
    I would have to have a forensic accountant review this before I would necessarily believe a dime or two didn't get back to him somehow. I mean, that's why people do this kind of thing.