Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PGA Championship 2019

Way too early analysis: in the round to the minute, players are shooting an average of five over par (+47 after 170 holes -- hey I can do spreadsheets!).

My main man, Aphibarnrat, is FIVE OVER after four holes.

Eyeballing the results, it looks like the back nine is really, really tough.

*** Scores on pgatour.com are lagging. Tiger double-bogeyed #10 (just like Aphibarnrat).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Way too early analysis: in the round to the minute, players are shooting an average of five over par (+47 after 170 holes -- hey I can do spreadsheets!).

My main man, Aphibarnrat, is FIVE OVER after four holes.

Eyeballing the results, it looks like the back nine is really, really tough.

*** Scores on pgatour.com are lagging. Tiger double-bogeyed #10 (just like Aphibarnrat).
    If the pgatour site means anything, the back nine holes are ranked 1, 11, T6, 12, 14, 3, 16, 5, and 17.

So 5/9 of the back holes are among the easy half. (hey I can do fractions)

Therefore the front nine should be harder. Theoretically.

Edit: Also, I think the cumulative over par number is skewed in the PGA Championship. 20 club pros get to play in this event. I only know that because a local guy made it.
    Last edited by dudog84; 05-16-2019 at 10:15 AM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Good day to have Koepka on your team. TW looked like he was righting his ship, but then took on water again.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Good day to have Koepka on your team. TW looked like he was righting his ship, but then took on water again.
    Koepka was just a machine out there. Seven birdies, no bogies. He got in trouble a couple of times off the tee, but seemed to make every green in regulation and rarely had a tough par putt. Can't ask for a better start if you are Koepka, or a Koepka fan, or have Koepka on your team.

. . . TW looked like he was righting his ship, but then took on water again.
    This TW says that TW has some work to do tomorrow to avoid an MC. Cut line is top 70 and ties.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    This TW says that TW has some work to do tomorrow to avoid an MC. Cut line is top 70 and ties.
    When the news of his restaurant issues broke, I was this close to leaving him off my team, in fear that it would be a distraction. But, halfway through today, I was happy with his charge back from ugliness.
    Then, he plunged back into the ugly. I still have confidence though, from seeing that brief charge.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Captain Obvious: My God this is so weird in May.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Koepka was just a machine out there. Seven birdies, no bogies. He got in trouble a couple of times off the tee, but seemed to make every green in regulation and rarely had a tough par putt. Can't ask for a better start if you are Koepka, or a Koepka fan, or have Koepka on your team.
    I knew that Koepka was good yesterday, but I didn't realize he was "set the course record" good.

Rory starts double, bogey, double on 10-11-12. Ouch. Eight points flushed down the drain.

Rory starts double, bogey, double on 10-11-12. Ouch. Eight points flushed down the drain.
    Yep -- my "main men" Bryson and Rory are +5 after only three holes today and plus seven for the tournament. Does anyone think I can appeal that I typed "Bryson" when I meant "Brooks?"

The only player on my team sniffing par is Tony Finau, even after the first round.

BTW, first round wunderkind Danny Lee, who shot 64, is +6 after nine holes today. I don't see a lot of negative scores among the early starters: 14 or so at -1 (probably birdied #1) but no one else doing as poorly as the aforementioned slackers disgracing my roster.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Rory saved his bacon and will be playing the weekend.

Rory saved his bacon and will be playing the weekend.
    His & mine both. 40-31 is the definition of an "up and down" round . . . .

Looks like Koepka picked up where he left off. Three under after four...wow. Shout of thanks to my low cost man Jordan Spieth for having a hell of a day, too. (PS, you too, Adam Scott...which means I probably just jynxed you.)

With 6 to go, Tiger is above the cut line and in danger of going home.

However, I have the top three guys (as of now...Koepka, Spieth, Scott) on my team, so I'm not crying.

A Tiger-less weekend.

Can we now begin the discussion of whether or not Tiger's Masters win is like Jack's '86 Masters win more than it is a partial resumption of his prior glory?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Can we now begin the discussion of whether or not Tiger's Masters win is like Jack's '86 Masters win more than it is a partial resumption of his prior glory?
    I mean, I don’t think anyone believes Tiger is going to be the Tiger of old.

Other than that, I am not sure what one tournament says about anything. Justin Rose misses the cut at the Masters, for example.

Maybe Tiger never wins another major. Maybe he wins another major or three. Who knows?

Since he came back last year, I saw little reason to declare he would never win again. Now that he has won one, I see no reason to declare he is done forever after one missed cut either.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I mean, I don’t think anyone believes Tiger is going to be the Tiger of old.

Other than that, I am not sure what one tournament says about anything. Justin Rose misses the cut at the Masters, for example.

Maybe Tiger never wins another major. Maybe he wins another major or three. Who knows?

Since he came back last year, I saw little reason to declare he would never win again. Now that he has won one, I see no reason to declare he is done forever after one missed cut either.
    The last six "big tournaments" he has played in

British Open 2018, Carnoustie -- was on the lead with nine holes to play, T6 (Molinari won).
    PGA 2018 -- finished second to Koepka
    Tour Championship at East Lake -- winner!!
    Players' Championship, Sawgrass -- T30 (Rory won)
    Masters 2019 -- winner!!
    PGA 2019, Bethpage Black -- Missed cut

Lessee -- six tournaments -- won twice -- led on the last day twice. I don't think Tiger's done.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The last six "big tournaments" he has played in

British Open 2018, Carnoustie -- was on the lead with nine holes to play, T6 (Molinari won).
    PGA 2018 -- finished second to Koepka
    Tour Championship at East Lake -- winner!!
    Players' Championship, Sawgrass -- T30 (Rory won)
    Masters 2019 -- winner!!
    PGA 2019, Bethpage Black -- Missed cut

Lessee -- six tournaments -- won twice -- led on the last day twice. I don't think Tiger's done.
    Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yeah, but what have you done for me lately?
    That’s a question for Brandel Chamblee with regard to Brooks Koepka.