Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Or, "Go to Hell Carolina . . . ."
    You couldn’t pay Jay Bilas enough money to publicly say something negative about UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You couldn’t pay Jay Bilas enough money to publicly say something negative about UNC.
    Sadly, this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don't know, maybe $1 more than ESPN is paying him.

Okay, that may be a bit harsh, but money trumps all.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not that big a deal, but the question was a bit of a diss towards RJ, don't think it was really necessary.
    It was also asking him to choose between two former teammates. Would have been more fair to the kids, and more interesting, to ask him to compare the two, but that’s not the kind of journalism ESPN does these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    It was also asking him to choose between two former teammates. Would have been more fair to the kids, and more interesting, to ask him to compare the two, but that’s not the kind of journalism ESPN does these days.
    Complaining about ESPN is too easy but I thought the pre-lottery stuff was really odd and unfair to the two kids.
    RJ, please sit here and keep a straight face while we ask absurd questions all about how great Zion is to Zion. Then we’ll ask you about how great he is after reminding you that once you were going to be the number one pick but aren't any more, then we’ll ask Zion to choose between you and Morant, with you here.

Understand the ESPN hype machine has helped both Duke and Zion this year. But can’t any one have some respect for RJ? WITH HIM SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?!?
    The ceiling is the roof

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post
    Complaining about ESPN is too easy but I thought the pre-lottery stuff was really odd and unfair to the two kids.
    RJ, please sit here and keep a straight face while we ask absurd questions all about how great Zion is to Zion. Then we’ll ask you about how great he is after reminding you that once you were going to be the number one pick but aren't any more, then we’ll ask Zion to choose between you and Morant, with you here.

Understand the ESPN hype machine has helped both Duke and Zion this year. But can’t any one have some respect for RJ? WITH HIM SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?!?
    My thoughts exactly! All night long!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon View Post

But they had RJ right there, not Morant. That says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    was watching with family while eating dinner, missed this moment. anyone willing to give me some context? it sounds delicious.
    It's on youtube type in Zion interview with Rachel Nichols b4 lottery.Zion made Jay speechless and look Incredibly stupid all in 1 second .Bilas just needs to retire his jokes are wearing thin.

I think that Bilas was just caught off guard - he never thought that Rachel Nichols would ever shut up long enough for him to say anything.

Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy, he doesn't need to regurgitate the same boring answers that all athletes are coached to give. In addition to his freakish physical endowment and his work ethic, he has the brains and personality to be a huge celebrity, loving every minute of it and making everyone this side of insidecarolina.com love him.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy, he doesn't need to regurgitate the same boring answers that all athletes are coached to give. In addition to his freakish physical endowment and his work ethic, he has the brains and personality to be a huge celebrity, loving every minute of it and making everyone this side of insidecarolina.com love him.
    Yup.

I am not sure I have seen someone with so much joy in them. He is just damn fun.

Best of luck, Zion!

Once in a generation talent and personality...really quite astonishing to watch.

I completely agree with you so far. But it’s easier to be that person when you’re “new and successful”. A couple of long not-so-great seasons in NO, then Bilas types openly critical every night could wipe that grin off. NBA is a grind.

Zion is already a savant with the press. He is so press savvy...
    Until your juxtaposition, I never realized that “savant” and “savvy” were related words. They are both derived from the same French/Latin words for knowledge and wisdom. Word origin sporks!

And savvy in the press!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Both RJ and Zion very polished for so young

I watched the YouTube video referenced above and here’s a link to it. https://youtu.be/bn5PwnWm3qU
    Both RJ and Zion were impressive in answering inane questions. I guess those practice interviews the players all do with each other during the season help.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yup.

I am not sure I have seen someone with so much joy in them. He is just damn fun.

Best of luck, Zion!
    Like Magic.